Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mention of extra components for Seaside has bugged me for a little while since I got Intrigue & saw the front page of the rulebook.

Initially, I thought it was new cards of a different type other than treasure, points & kingdoms. Then last night I broke out Race For The Galaxy for another solo game when a possible obvious hit me in the face; could these extra components be for solo play somehow? I seem to recall mention that Jay Tummelson had asked Tom Lehmann to create a solo variant for RftG for its 1st expansion. Given the popularity of Dominion, the only thing missing seems to be a solo variant.

While it might be difficult to see how this could work, especially Attack cards (who would you attack?), I am half-betting it's a solo variant that we'll see in Seaside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm still going with catapult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
I'm still going with catapult.

The catapult is SO last year already. Now the wheel of fortune is all the rage!

Carcassonne: Wheel of Fortune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra component will be a Dominion-playing automaton, so that you don't *need* to play the game solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
The extra component will be a Dominion-playing automaton, so that you don't *need* to play the game solo.

Or an automaton so that you don't *need* to play the game at all. Which might make me buying it in the end....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Mangiarano
Italy
Castellana Grotte
(BA)
flag msg tools
Use the force
badge
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen
mbmbmbmbmb
Card-shuffler ????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with Intrigue, there has been a need for some kind of physical mechanism to track how many +coins I've racked up this turn. It's really easy to screw up, like count the +2 that you see on your Steward that you played five actions ago, forgetting that you actually used it to draw cards, not for its coins. Tribute is even harder to remember. So if they included some tokens that you could take as you rack up +coins, it would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:
Starting with Intrigue, there has been a need for some kind of physical mechanism to track how many +coins I've racked up this turn. It's really easy to screw up, like count the +2 that you see on your Steward that you played five actions ago, forgetting that you actually used it to draw cards, not for its coins. Tribute is even harder to remember. So if they included some tokens that you could take as you rack up +coins, it would be nice.

Or a coin track, so you just move your marker along every time you add a +coin for your buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:

We've not had any trouble. We turn any cards that give you treasure horizontally in the tableau. If a mining village is trashed, it goes sideways. If the steward gave you money, it goes sideways. If you have a steward that isn't sideways, it's not giving you money. If that happens to be because you "forgot" to tap the card, tough luck for you. It's not that hard to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:

Doubtful. The extra components are supposed to work with the "new options offered by Seaside". Coins aren't new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
djgutierrez77 wrote:
kevinb9n wrote:

We've not had any trouble. We turn any cards that give you treasure horizontally in the tableau. If a mining village is trashed, it goes sideways. If the steward gave you money, it goes sideways. If you have a steward that isn't sideways, it's not giving you money. If that happens to be because you "forgot" to tap the card, tough luck for you. It's not that hard to do.

Good system, Dave. I lay all the Actions I play in a horizontal line with those that grant money sticking up an inch or so above the line. As with your system, if I forget and don't move the card up, I have only myself to blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fasnacht
msg tools
As a former CCG player, I find there are many easy solutions to this ambiguity that don't involve extra pieces. Cards are very versatile in that they allow differentiation by how you position them. In this case, cards that allow a choice can be played sideways (tapped for you MTG players) or upside-down to indicate which effect was used, or even can be put face down if they contribute no ongoing effect to the turn (for instance a card you chose to only draw with can safely go face down so you don't accidentally count it for anything else). Since this problem comes up most in the buying phase, it's probably easiest to just place sideways any card that was used for +coin so you know to count it when buying.

Overall, though, the important thing is to establish a system for yourself and be consistent, so you can easily remember how to tally your own turns.

Edit: Drats! Beaten again. This is what I get for trying to post while I'm at work, getting distracted, then not remembering to refresh the thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
tonksey wrote:
The mention of extra components for Seaside has bugged me for a little while since I got Intrigue & saw the front page of the rulebook.

Initially, I thought it was new cards of a different type other than treasure, points & kingdoms. Then last night I broke out Race For The Galaxy for another solo game when a possible obvious hit me in the face; could these extra components be for solo play somehow? I seem to recall mention that Jay Tummelson had asked Tom Lehmann to create a solo variant for RftG for its 1st expansion. Given the popularity of Dominion, the only thing missing seems to be a solo variant.

While it might be difficult to see how this could work, especially Attack cards (who would you attack?), I am half-betting it's a solo variant that we'll see in Seaside.

I have no plans for a solo variant.

I wouldn't be especially scared or excited by the "extra components." They aren't part of the premise; they're just things to make some of the cards work smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario bacchi
England
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if they included some tokens that you could take as you rack up +coins, it would be nice.

er..wouldn't any kind of coin, token, glass bead or ANYTHING ELSE from ANY OTHER GAME EVER do for this?!?!

literally - you have +2 coins...pick up two coins from the pile - put them back when you've finished, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rorshaq wrote:
Quote:
So if they included some tokens that you could take as you rack up +coins, it would be nice.

er..wouldn't any kind of coin, token, glass bead or ANYTHING ELSE from ANY OTHER GAME EVER do for this?!?!

literally - you have +2 coins...pick up two coins from the pile - put them back when you've finished, no?

Dude, why are you yelling at me?

Surely you can understand that
(a) yes, I could improvise, but also that
(b) game publishers don't usually publish games that say in the rules "now go fish around for some other random materials to help you play the game."

In this case, the sideways trick works almost all the time, although it still fails to help you remember whether you got +2 or +4 from a tribute.

It's not really a BIG DEAL (there, see I can yell too), but it is a small "hole" in the system, to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fasnacht
msg tools
kevinb9n wrote:
In this case, the sideways trick works almost all the time, although it still fails to help you remember whether you got +2 or +4 from a tribute.

It's not really a BIG DEAL (there, see I can yell too), but it is a small "hole" in the system, to me.

Maybe crank it once to the side for +2, again for the 2nd +2? Thus the card would actually become upside down if you hit both cards for +4 total, or just sideways for only +2. I figure you're bound to notice an upside down card on the field, just like you notice the sideways ones.

Either that or if you get the +4, tap the card to the opposite side than you normally would. I'm not sure if non-CCG players have a preference in that regard, but if you've played CCGs you almost certainly have a direction you naturally tap something. I naturally tap things to the right, and my guess is most (if not all) people have a natural direction in which they tend to tap.

I haven't played enough Intrigue to run across this one really, so I don't have a given way to handle that card, but hopefully some people will find one/both of these ways helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
I have no plans for a solo variant.

I wouldn't be especially scared or excited by the "extra components." They aren't part of the premise; they're just things to make some of the cards work smoother.

How is it that people are actually ignoring the most interesting thing to be said about Seaside since the publication of the rules of Intrigue?

"Not extra components: just make some of the cards work smoother." Hmm...

Just to kick off the wild speculation, I reckon we're looking EITHER at permanent(ish) effects -- cards whose effects persist after the Cleanup phase -- or else an entirely new mechanism. Ships, I say! And ships I say again! (Granted, I don't actually know what they'd do...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Aldaron wrote:
Test

I hope it's a test of response time, I think I did okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Foz_4 wrote:

Edit: Drats! Beaten again. This is what I get for trying to post while I'm at work, getting distracted, then not remembering to refresh the thread...

If your work is distracting you from your Geek, quit your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.