Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up a copy of Wadi and thought I'd give it a spin with two players. The concept looks interesting. Players compete for placement of Shadoof (counter-weight and bucket water-pumps) that can move water both out of the river and from land tile to land tile. The goal is to have as much fertile land around your Shadoofs having a water tile (representing it being irrigated). Different coloured tiles have different number of water holes representing their points if irrigated.

During the game, the water tokens in the Wadi (stream/river) move downstream and form a sort of clock. The game ends when there is no more water in the Wadi, either because it has flowed off the edge of the board or has all been pumped onto land tiles.

We were both more concerned about getting water out of the wadi and onto land than we were with moving it around on land. The game (maximum length 7 turns before all the water leaves the board) actually ended up ending after typically 5 turns when all the water came out. Certainly, we never really needed to invoke building rule B.

We also started to become more familiar first with placement of shadoofs to gain points from land the other player had irrigated (both players get points for land within the range of two shadoofs) as well. This led to defensive water placement

The final board of the second play looked like this with scores of 27 - 32

The game felt a little flat for 2 players. I'm going to give it a try with some of the other suggested layouts and see how those work. I'm also really interested to see how the 2-player variant that has three moves (alternating start player) between each water flow works. I think that would make the game more interesting. The setup time was a little irritating for the length of the game, so you'd probably want to play a couple of times to make it worth while.

Seems like a fun little game, but needs a little more time to establish itself as a favourite for us. Certainly willing to play more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Designer of board games with a bite...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like building rule B, you can also play without it (makes it a little more strategic).

See also the new game rules:
http://www.martynf.com/website/?Wadi:Game_info

If you want a more strategic game, try out Wadi - The Watchmen:
http://www.martynf.com/website/?Wadi_-_The_Watchmen

Martyn F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmf. I was standing next to your booth at Essen several times over the fair, but didn't come over because I already had both the games. I didn't realise the watchman piece/rules/ was available.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn F
Sweden
Kungälv
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Designer of board games with a bite...
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sorry to hear that. I had posted an item about it in the press release forum at BGG. And it was also printed on the posters in my stand.

I still have some left, so you can pick one up next year.

I haven't added it yet to my website. But I am also willing to send it to people. I would have to charge you 8,00 Euro (inside Europe) for it however. It is a bit steep for a few playing pieces, I know.

Martyn F

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.