Subject: Bang, in the Saloon! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools

Make You Gunfighters was designed by Kondou Koushi and published by Adventure Planning Services, and is playable by 3 to 7 players in about 15 to 20 minutes.

What You Get

You get a little box with 64 cards with three different backs, a sheet of bounty coins in very thin cardboard stock, and a sheet depicting the 'map'. The cards are a bit delicate, and I think the artwork is totally a matter of taste. I personally think it very unattractive, but I am not very fond of the 'Japanese-style' comic art this game uses. However, the cards are very readable and clear, with a well-translated rulebook to back it up.

What You Do

This is pretty well covered in the other reviews of this game. It plays very quickly, and adding sound effects as described by the rules would seem to be mandatory: drumming fingers when you move location, shouting 'bang' and pointing an imaginary gun finger at your target keep the game lively. We enforce the '10 second play' rule, wherein you have 10 seconds (usually someone starts counting) to move or lose a card. Encouraging panic decisions only adds to the game, which is chaotic anyway. There is a small amount of strategy, and it helps if you have a good memory and sharp ears to keep everyone's possible whereabouts in mind as the clock ticks on you.

What I Think

I am a solid member of the 'slow game' society, ones that take hours to play with encyclopedic rules. No, not the plastic fests that are the lightweights like Descent, but games more like Here I Stand, Civilization, American Megafauna, Freedom in the Galaxy and Throneworld. But for some reason, this game works for me. It is so light as to be almost non-existent, but there is enough jollity to the game to keep it engaging, and finished fast enough that nobody can feel angry that play is so random. It does not purport to be anything intellectual. Everyone I've played with, from the stoics to the airheads have had some fun with it. Sure, the map is pointless and the bounty coins are worthless, but still, for a few bucks, you can't go too wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.