Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Beu
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been up in the air about whether to buy a copy of this game off of eBay or to simply pick up The Downfall of Pompeii from my local game store.

My question is 2-fold:
1) how similar are these 2 games?
2) should I only get 1 or the other, or should I bite the bullet and get both?

The general concept of both games seem very similar: initial placement followed by screw-over your opponents during catastrophe. Additionally, both games have nearly the same rating (7.12 vs 7.17).

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sparks
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. Survive! is a little lighter of strategy, but oh so much fun. But I also enjoyed Pompeii.

Survive! has a more random (or memory if your that good) element in that your pieces have different values that are hidden on the bottom of the pieces. You choose where to place them but you have to remember their value from that point forward. In the end, it seems to make it feel more random on scoring because it's difficult to keep track of those values with all that is going on. Pompeii has blocks that are the same value on the board.

Survive! has a die that tells you what catastrophe is going to hit. Pompeii is a little more structured.

Both are great games! And I never thought to compare them before your post. Hopefully someone else will give you more to go on.

Good luck!

- Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sparks
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, when I'm faced with this type of quandary, I read the rules if I can find them online.

Here ya go:

Survive
http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Survive!.PDF

Downfall of Pompeii
http://www.amigo-spiele.de/upload/Pompeji_englisch_5725.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games and enjoy them tremendously.

Survive! is probably my favorite all time game but it has one flaw. There doesn't seem to be a lot of tension in two player games. With three and four it is great, but as a 2 player it just doesn't feel right.

Downfall of Pompeii on the other hand works great as a two player, so if you are going to play a lot of two player games I would lean towards Pompeii.

The other advantage that Pompeii has is it is sort of two games in one. It's first stage through card play you are trying to get as many of your people placed in the city as possible, so it has a bit of an area control element there. Once stage two hits it is all cutthroat fun from there.

Survive! is cutthroat from the get go. You place your guys on the island and hope to remember where your high point guys are. After the placement everyone is free game to be eaten by something. There are a lot of tactics in regards to how to get your big value people off and not eaten. The monsters have an iconic look that is just plain cool. I think the only way you could make this game meaner is if it had monsters on land to add to the carnage.

I still prefer Survive! but part of it may be due to Nostalgia. You can't go wrong with either. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive! is epic level fun. I haven't had a single player that I introduced to it that hasn't thought it anything but riotous fun.

Get Survive! and if DoP is any good at all, I haven't played it or seen it so I cannot comment, get it too!

You can't have too many great games in the house. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played both and recommend both. If you're looking for one defining difference between the two to swing things in favor of one game in particular, base it on whether or not you'll be playing with non regular gamers. Survive is easy to learn, easy to play. DoP is easy to learn and play as well if you're a gamer who has experienced Area Control style games before, but many folks out there haven't had any exposure to anything beyond party games and Monopoly.

That said, I'd lock down a copy of Survive first, since a reprint is unlikely at best and copies are IMHO, prices are only gonna get higher. DoP is still readily available and to the best of my knowledge, in print, even if it seems like an FLGS or OLGS only gets 5 copies at a time and sells out quick. If you know that the store can get more, just prepay for a copy to get one held for you when they do get more in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.