Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Beu
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been up in the air about whether to buy The Downfall of Pompeii at my local game store or to try to get a copy of Survive: Escape from Atlantis! off of eBay.

The general concept of both games seem very similar: initial placement followed by screw-over your opponents during catastrophe. Additionally, both games have nearly the same rating (7.12 vs 7.17).

Admittedly, I can get The Downfall of Pompeii new for less than a > 25-year-old copy of Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, but if a game is good, age shouldn't matter. (Although price:experience ratio does...)

So, my question is 2-fold:
1) just how similar are these 2 games?
2) should I only get 1 or the other, or should I bite the bullet and get both?

Keep in mind, my wife would kill me if I bought 2 games whose differences are negligible (or not different enough to justify a double-purchase).

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the carnage in both I find that they do not play similarly.

I like survive, but that is probably nostalgia.

I say get both but I always say that. You might as well go get Pompeii ASAP and start playing it so that you have time to find a good copy of survive on eBay.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
SwingCorey wrote:
I've been up in the air about whether to buy The Downfall of Pompeii at my local game store or to try to get a copy of Survive: Escape from Atlantis! off of eBay.

The general concept of both games seem very similar: initial placement followed by screw-over your opponents during catastrophe. Additionally, both games have nearly the same rating (7.12 vs 7.17).

Admittedly, I can get The Downfall of Pompeii new for less than a > 25-year-old copy of Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, but if a game is good, age shouldn't matter. (Although price:experience ratio does...)

Keep in mind, my wife would kill me if I bought 2 games whose differences are negligible (or not different enough to justify a double-purchase).

Both are cool and both demand sound effects be used when getting eaten by sharks or thrown to the volcanoe but I would lean towards Survive as the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
SwingCorey wrote:

They are a bit similar you are right, and both do require sound affects for deaths resulting from the gameplay as Mike mentioned. Placement for Survive is an initial set up. Placement for Pompeii is part of the game play. I would say go ahead and get Pompeii, and if it doesn't scratch the itch, keep looking for a cheap copy of Survive!

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive! Survive! Survive!

Please Note: I have never played The Downfall of Pompeii, but I do have a soft spot for Survive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I've played both and Pompeii wishes it was as cool as Survive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive has the campy nostalgia, but the memory aspect (where are my high valued people again?) hurts the game in my opinion and makes the outcome somewhat random or at least unexpected. But you can always count 1 person as 1 point, I suppose. If you like to screw your neighbor, Survive has a bit more options. The components are good, except for the island tiles and boats, which are 80s American thin.

I think I slightly prefer Pompeii as it has a cleaner, more Euro-feel with 2 very distinct game phases and good components. Drawing useful lava tiles and selecting an offering to Pompeii always builds excitement and fun table talk.

I would do as others suggest and purchase Pompeii, but be on the look out for a copy of Survive as it comes along. Actually, that's exactly what I did, except my copy of Survive magically appeared from my in-laws attic.

Edit to say that although both games have the same goal, they still feel very different to me. Hence the suggestion to get both. It's unlikely that one will "replace" the other in your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Survive has the campy nostalgia, but the memory aspect (where are my high valued people again?) hurts the game in my opinion and makes the outcome somewhat random or at least unexpected. But you can always count 1 person as 1 point, I suppose.

Or you might get Escape from Atlantis. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:

I have to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
SwingCorey wrote:

I can't speak personally on the comparison, but a friend of mine owns both and thinks Pompeii is the much better game. His 12 year old son agrees, as it's one of his absolute favourites.

I have played Pompeii, and was very surprised by how good it is and how much I enjoyed it. Excellent title, and in that respect I don't think you can go wrong with picking it up. Besides, if price and your wife's opinion on buying games matters, why not get Pompeii for much less, and use the difference to buy another, much different game? Maybe one she would like?

Or heck, use the money you save to buy her something nice that isn't a game. You certainly won't regret that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
bop517 wrote:
edosan wrote:

I have to agree.

No way! Pompeii is more cool by a mile. And not just because it's one of the few games that I can actually win....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love and own both games. Both games are best with 4 but will play with 3. Both games play in about 45 minutes. Both game are about surviving a major disaster. Both games are a lot fun because it's just as fun watching a friend get eaten by a sea monster as it is throwing them in a volcano.

The major difference is in the game play. Pompeii is more of a card game where placing your guys is very important. Survive uses more dice rolling and movement is more important.

If I were you, I'd pick up Pompeii now and than keep your eye on getting a cheap copy of Survive in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason
United States
queens
New York
flag msg tools
i havent played survive but can vouch for pompeii as a very light game with a incredible board. Lots of fun for the family with a minus if you count death by molten hot lava, but great laughs and fun if not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.