Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gardener and Giant Pumpkin living together (with the cats and dogs)... or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gardener Occupation
- Take a vegable from the supply and not from your vegetable field whenever you harvest them. You keep the vegetable on the field.

Giant Pumpkin Minor Improvement
- Place 1 vegetable from your own supply on this card. At any time, you can harvest this vegetable and convert it to food. If it is still on the the card at the end of the game, you receive 2 bonus points.

Strictly based on the wording "Harvest".. this seems to be an infinite food supply engine (harvest at will, take from supply, rinse and repeat). In reverse, one could rule that the Giant Pumpkin is actually NOT in a vegetable field, and thus the Gardener does not apply at all (one wonders where the Giant Pumpkin managed to grow, but whatever). Of course the first interpretation would break the game. The interpretations were:
- Gardener and Giant Pumpkin do work together and become infinite food engine (and we declare the winner and start a new game- per the first read)
- Gardener does not apply to Giant Pumpkin at all (per the second read)
- Gardener may be used exactly once with Giant Pumpkin
- Gardener may be used once per game-harvest with Giant Pumpkin

The first interpretation gets the axe for being a game breaker. The second requires the least stretch and added rule-making and I believe is what was intended based on strict technical interpretation of the words. The 3rd and 4rth are legitimate attempts to give some value (perhaps needlessly) to the synergy without creating a perpetual motion wheel.

We ruled the second, but would be interested to know the "real" answer. Sorry if I missed this one in the errata somewhere. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Giant Pumpkin is not a field. It's simply a very large pumkpin that you have lying around. If, at the end of the game, it's still there, it's worth 2 points because all the other farmers are jealous.

No where on the card does it say that it's a field. The Gardner only works on the fields. Therefore I can only conclude that it's NOT a field, but just a big, giant pumpkin, and the Gardner doesn't work on the Giant Pumpkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree 100% with Bryann's interpretation. The Giant Pumpkin is not a normal field for harvesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary wallace
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone who part of a game group that likes to put rules to a stress test, my friends would have asked if English is my first language if I tried that one. I concur with Bryann.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.