Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

this is probably a stupid question,...

part(6)
"The player organises his army into corps by secretly assigning units... to commanders"

The Question:

Does this refer ONLY to the units that make up the board-printed 'initial strength'? (In other words, the pile of units NOT inventoried in part (5) of 'SettingUpTheGame' are 'loose change'to be used as and when units take losses?)

OR

Do we get to place the 'initial strength' PLUS the rest of the non-inventoried pieces from the bag? (which of course dosent leave too many units for 'loose change' and makes for, I would think, a completely different game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattriceten wrote:
Hi,

this is probably a stupid question,...

part(6)
"The player organises his army into corps by secretly assigning units... to commanders"

The Question:

Does this refer ONLY to the units that make up the board-printed 'initial strength'?

Yes.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bowen,

many thanks for the prompt reply!

This means then that the 'pieces left over' in the bag are, as I presumed, for 'loose change' when one has to mark losses on units...

(Another little question though... why are there extra Guards Units? I think I can see why there would be perhaps extra Heavy Cavalry if you're playing the 1st December scenario - you could combine three single units into a 'Heavy' during the night, but when Guards take losses they become normal Infantry, no? - When, therfore would you ever use the 'extra' Guards pieces?)

Regards,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattriceten wrote:
why are there extra Guards Units?

See the first section in the rules: "Note: Extra pieces and stickers are provided to replace any lost or damaged components."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowen puts a few spare units in the box so that you won't be caught short if you lose a unit, or have a damaged one. It's one of the little extras, like receiving two sets of rules, that you learn to expect from Simmons Games.

edit: I wish I had Kuhrusty's youthful reflexes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it!

Cheers Rusty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.