Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Yog-Sothoth conquest of Arkham and Beyond : Night of Horrors! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been posting that this game was too easy. We noticed in that thread that we didn't distribute/removed the clues correctly. Last night to my surprise after a game of Thebes, my friend proposes that we play a real game of Arkham.

3 investigators : Amanda Sharp, Gloria and Aschan. We removed 2 of the 4 elder signs. The GOO is Yog-Sothoth. We never played against him before. Magical Immune plus he needs will checks with gate trophies. Is is -5 for combat. Hmmmm, the higher the will, the lower the fight. If this guy wakes up, it's gonna be hell!

We started the game as usual, not much problems. I got a unique Item from an encounter, an elder sign. A rumor comes out which we needed to add a doom token every end of turn unless we sacrifice an Ally. What do you know, as per our luck as usual, we actually started with one character who has an ally. The doom track never went up due to the rumor card. Now I was getting anxious. I told my friend, we get the cards to make it harder but due to our damn luck, we always get out of it easily.

20 ish minute later, that is where the claws of darkness caught the first investigator. Amanda got ripped apart by a monster in the OW so she ended up LiTaS. Well she ended up being an appitizer for the GOO. He picks up another character, Joe Diamond. He started with a 45 and picked up the other 45. Wow. He was actually more geared than with Amanda. We were laughing. Plus he kept all his trophies. The stars were still shinning with us.

This game, we closed a lot more of gates (not sealed) because I guess at 3 investigators, a lot of the time we had 5 opened plus we needed gates for the end game. Little Ascan was breezing in the OW when he got in an ambush and was eaten in one bite. Hmmmm, so this is our second investigator. He picked up Dexter with crapy items.

My friend who had Amanda went to the OW to try to seal a gate then was sent again to the LiTaS. He picked up The Doctor. Then I got ripped open and picked up Kate (the scientis).

All our initial characters had the good physical damage weapons. There was no way that we could kill him if he wakes up. -5 to combat? No one starting with a will of 2 could actually roll 1 dice with the -5 to do a hit. At this point the doom track was at 10. We decided to do a final push and try to seal our 2 last gate.

Well, the GOO woked up and none of us could actually hit him except maybe 5 times if we were lucky because of our clues.

I'm glad we got ripped. This gave us actually the spark we needed to continue playing and try to beat this bad ass!

Edit : So in the end, it took us 7 investigators and we finished with 4 gates closed. I don't know if we satisfied Yog's appetite with 7 investigators, but I'm sure it was a good night for him to try to get out!

P.S. it's my first session post and I know it doesn't even read as one. I'm at work and I typed fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remember IMO Yog's nastiest slumber ability: closing gates requires 2 successes yuk ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Did you remember IMO Yog's nastiest slumber ability: closing gates requires 2 successes yuk ?

Isn't his ability when he sleeps : Closing the gates has it's difficulty increased by one? I'm positivi it's this. Maybe I named the GOO wrong. R'yleh gates were -4 to close. I closed 1 with my elder sign since my max in fight and lore was 4

Edit : So you read "the difficulty to close or seal the gate is increased by one" as you need to have 2 good rolls. I read it that if the gate is -3, now it's -4. It wouldn't have made a difference if it was your way, just that we would probably have died way earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, R'lyeh gates with Yog become -3 [2], "yippee".

Page 13:

"MODIFIERS
This number is added to or subtracted from the investigator’s
skill value before the player makes the check"

and

"DIFFICULTY
This is the number of successes an investigator must roll
during a skill check to pass the check."

"Example 2: Make a Luck (+2) [2] check. In this example,
Luck is the skill the investigator must use for the
check. The modifier is +2, a bonus. The difficulty is 2."

Yog-Sothoth adds 1 to difficulty, nothing about modifiers in Yog's text. Anybody with a closing stat max of 4 will struggle to even close -1 modifier gates against Yog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I thought I'd actually have played my first game without any mistakes concerning rules.

You know, If we had done it correctly when closing/sealing gates, I could have went to bed at 11pm instead of 12:30pm So tired. That's why you don't start a game of arkham at 9pm on work days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
You know, If we had done it correctly when closing/sealing gates, I could have went to bed at 11pm instead of 12:30pm So tired. That's why you don't start a game of arkham at 9pm on work days!

Hey, if you have a game like my last, you could start at 9 and start packing at 9.25, after a closing win. Find Gate + Gate Box is freaky combo, especially if the turn order goes your way. You can do this:

(I had 4 investigators, but point is valid)

A is first player, in Arkham. B in the OW with FG + GB. A moves to a gate, then B casts FG and returns to Arkham, trading FG + GB to A. Since A has his Arkham Encounter first, sucked into the OW, then B closes (seals in my case). Mythos opens a gate. Next turn the order switches . Of course, nasty monsters can throw a wrench into the works, but you can get the game's grill so to speak, having an investigator in the OW (possibly an easier OW), ready to return and close/seal any gate that again opens. OW encounters notwithstanding, if the Mythos bounces (or you get any of the other non-gate opening cards) for 2 Mythos phases does the investigator with GB get into trouble form that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.