Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum...soblue

I don't know what is going on but it seems impossible for my group of players (2-4 players) to win at this game since we start to play with F&F and battlefield added together.

O.K. we're not experts (we generally play only with F&F and start at 15 or 12 whistle ) but we used to win lets say 60% of our 20 plays.

We wanted more challenge and more diversity so I bought Battlefield and then... 9 plays and still haven't passed the Rohan board!

We doing our best to maximise each card we have, trying to skip a board if we can, but taking care of the ennemies and the battlefield at the same time seem simply way to much.

- If you ignore the ennemies too long you are at risk to loose at the next scenario (and they come out pretty fast!).
- If you let the battlefield full of adversaries you will die fast because of the eye.
- If you pick a few bad tiles in a row, you are now in deep &?%$ because you are already in need of rescources.

Because of all the above, now between each scenario, you will almost always walk 1 point of corruption toward Sauron simply because you have spent most of your life tokens on something else.

It looks like we just don't have enough cards in hand for everything.

We just don't get it or what?

P.S. By the way, does every one still keep the 4 cards limit dealt in Rivendell and Lothlorian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Docdemers wrote:
I don't know what is going on but it seems impossible for my group of players (2-4 players) to win at this game since we start to play with F&F and battlefield added together.

I feel for you. Battlefields is my nemesis, took my several (I have 12 BF plays, but not all are 2 hobbit) games to beat even base + BF with 2 hobbits and Sauron at 15. Base + F&F with that combo isn't bad, Sauron at 12 failed. 3 hobbits should beat BF or F&F fairly regularly.

Quote:
P.S. By the way, does every one still keep the 4 cards limit dealt in Rivendell and Lothlorian

If using 2 hobbits and Battlefields, you get 6+5 (ring-bearer gets 6), discard the remaining 4.

As to the core issue, I beat base + F&F + BF on my second attempt (3 hobbits, didn't want to tackle "the Beast" with just 2). My strategy is "main line rush". Rush mainly because all other scenarios have a 10 length main activity line, meaning if you rush that + use the Ring, you're hopefully getting less than 10 trigger tiles. When I first tried to slow-play scenarios (okay, really only Moria), I noticed that I would get 10 from all the Events + would get at least 3 (often more) from drawing tiles. So rush is nowadays my strat.

Here's my log of my win on base + F&F + BF (bit long):

"Base + Friends & Foes + Battlefieds. Frodo, Sam and Pippin, Sauron at 15. Preparations (Sauron).

Bree Main Activity line completed after 13 Event tiles. Frodo and Sam at 3, Pippin at 4, Sauron at 14. Sam becomes Ring-bearer. Ring used. Events 2 of 6. 7 Foes defeated total, 2 showing. Purple Enemy piece killed. Frodo's Determination used.

Moria Main Activity line completed after 5 Event tiles. Frodo and Pippin at 3, Sam at 5, Sauron at 14. Pippin becomes Ring-bearer. Ring used. Events 1 of 6. 10 Foes defeated total, 3 showing. Black and Green Enemy pieces killed. Guidance Gandalf card used.

Isengard Main Activity line completed after 4 Event tiles. Frodo at 5, Sam at 6, Pippin at 8, Sauron at 14. Frodo becomes Ring-bearer. Ring used. Events 1 of 6. 13 Foes defeated total, 0 showing. Red Enemy piece killed. Integrity Gandalf card used.

Helm's Deep skipped.

Shelob's Lair skipped. Drew 1 Life token and 3 die roll enemies, had to roll a die for the 4th Foe, rolled 2 more, had to spend cards (luckily the 2 new Foes had symbols that Frodo had). Firestorm and Fire Brand used.

Mordor Main Activity line completed after 15 Event tiles. After ring-toss, Frodo at 9, Sam at 10, Pippin at 8, Sauron at 11. Ring used. Events 5 of 6. 19 Foes defeated total, 7 showing. Purple and Red Enemy pieces killed. Onslaught, Magic and Persistence Gandalf cards used. Sam's Valour and Pippin's Impetuosity used. Victory with a score of 84 (60 + 19 Foes + 5 Shields)!

Main line rushing worked nicely. Took a few licks on the corruption due to missing Life tokens, but can't argue with results. Rushing meant less Trigger tiles (though in Mordor had to resolve all but 4 of 20).

Had a couple of points where I wondered if I should stall for a turn or two. In Isengard, chose to finish the main Activity line instead of waiting for the Gandalf the White event. As no Foes were showing, managed to skip Helm's Deep right away, Shelob's Lair took bit more effort (not to mention luck). In Mordor, there were 7 Foes showing and Sam's turn, he still had 2 die rolls coming up (space 60 and Mount Doom). Again, decided to plow ahead, luckily didn't roll any more Foes (Sam had poor cards for killing Foes). "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have either expansion, but this thread details how 2 hobbits tackled both expansions at once, using some unorthodox methods. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/200216

By killing off enemies on the battlefield and knocking out foes, they managed to cut down some of their problems for later boards.

Do you play with the One ring/ Watchful peace variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, they were playing bit incorrectly as far as the rules go, mainly Frodo using any White cards as Jokers. As I kindly pointed out in that thread .

I don't have Sauron expansion (which has One Ring and WP), but I use a permanent-Black Gate (okay, it's just one of the blank Hobbit cards, but...). Permanent meaning each time that card is all that's left, activate the Black Gate and put that blank card back on the bottom. Not that I've ever needed it more than once. Never used the military victory method, never will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Docdemers wrote:

P.S. By the way, does every one still keep the 4 cards limit dealt in Rivendell and Lothlorian.

Dam the Man wrote:
If using 2 hobbits and Battlefields, you get 6+5 (ring-bearer gets 6), discard the remaining 4.

Thanks!

Nicholas1024 wrote:
Do you play with the One ring/ Watchful peace variant?

Yes. Watchful Peace being put under the enemy pile (as seen as a variant here).

Dam the Man wrote:
Of course, they were playing bit incorrectly as far as the rules go, mainly Frodo using any White cards as Jokers. As I kindly pointed out in that thread .

Ooops! I have miss this one too. It will be even thougher. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That 6+5 for 2 hobbits is mentioned somewhere in the BF rules. Actually, I think it was worded that you discard 4, deal out the rest, which amounts to the same thing. I think there's a thread on it in the BF section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.