Hide
4 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Road to Legend noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
I have played vanilla Descent enough times to understand most of how RtL is played but there were some questions I had because I thought the rulebook was vague on some of the descriptions:

1. The rule book says when a hero dies in an encounter that they are removed from the map until the end of the encounter. Is this true for dungeons as well or do dungeons operate like they do in vanilla Descent and the hero goes back to "town" (i.e. Tamalir)?

2. Can a hero buy a skill even if they don't have any points in that skill type? (i.e. can a hero with 3 points in Fighting buy a Subterfuge skill?).

As I think of more I will post them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr11 wrote:
I have played vanilla Descent enough times to understand most of how RtL is played but there were some questions I had because I thought the rulebook was vague on some of the descriptions:

1. The rule book says when a hero dies in an encounter that they are removed from the map until the end of the encounter. Is this true for dungeons as well or do dungeons operate like they do in vanilla Descent and the hero goes back to "town" (i.e. Tamalir)?

2. Can a hero buy a skill even if they don't have any points in that skill type? (i.e. can a hero with 3 points in Fighting buy a Subterfuge skill?).

As I think of more I will post them. Thanks!

1) The hero goes back to town and can return to the dungeon on his next turn.

2) Any hero can buy any type of skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
Thanks. I was trying to understand whether the power that causes all unnamed enemy figures within 3 spaces of the hero to die when it dies was worth it. It seemed OK for encounters but I wasn't sure for dungeons. Since you come back in a dungeon it seems quite powerful, maybe I am missing something though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Divine Retribution is slighty more powerful in RtL than in vanilla descent because dungeon are smaller.

And yes, you can 'die' and kill everything, then come back from Tamalir, die again ... each time killing the unnamed monsters.

But, as an RtL Overlord for now, I think that it isn't that much powerful.

- By doing that, you give XP to the overlord. If a 4 points Heroe has DR, you still don't want him to die.
- DR triggers only if you die because of the overlord. If you run into a group of monsters and let the others heroes killing you, the effect won't happens (I think it's on the FAQ)
- Lots of creatures attacks from away. A good overlord will make sure that your heroe when dying won't be surrounded by monsters. Even if dungeons are smaller, it's still possible I think.

Before playing RtL, my group made 14-15 games of descent (all the base quest until the players win). DR came regulary but I don't remember any monster killed by it.

If you really want to know the uberpower, try Spiritwalker for offence and Taunt (with a big armor and 2 shield) for defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.