Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would really appreciate some comments on the following:

QFTDL first edition consisted four colors of miniatures
although they did not look 100% fit as comparason with other plastic miniature game boards, once they appeared on the board, it made a amazing multi color game..

QFTDL second edition consisited four little miniature colors,
this time there was a great improvement on the looks, aslo the
four colors looked great.

In between, the Crystal Power expansion added two more little minis
for the second edition, but when we tried to include them as expansion
on the first edition miniatures, the size comparason was a major set back.

In your opinion, which version was better when it came to colorful miniatures ?

first edition ? four colors ? all same size.
second edition ? six colors ? all same size.

Regards, John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, let me say that I really (want to) like this game. I passed on the first edition but bought the second (after looking into the system a bit). I also bought the Crystal Power expansion. The minis are fine, but I have to admit not knowing much about the figs in the first edition. As far as I'm concerned the minis in the second edition and the Crystal Power expansion mesh fine - but you have bigger problems that that...

There are several more important "differences" between the expansion and the second edition that concern me. These include the change in artwork on the backs of the Quest cards, spell cards etc. When integrating these things into one game, it is - distracting? A lot of the time it is not that big a deal, but there are times when knowing which edition card a player holds can be important information. It just makes the product look unprofessional and slapdash.

There appears to have been a major design concept change somewhere between the first and second editions, and the expansions, that caused a number of problems. Frankly, I think sticking with the original concepts and artwork would have been wiser. The fig thing you bring up hadn't even occurred to me. So obviously, there needs to be a final decision on the theme and artwork issues and then re-issue components that truly make the system compatible in its entirety. I know that's asking a lot, but there you are...

Edit note: How could I have missed the fact that in addition to the changes I've already noted, between the first and second editions the colours of two of the factions were reversed! In the first edition Orcs are green and Elves are red - in the second it is the other way around. For the Crystal Shard expansion, this doesn't matter much but when you get to the Advanced Game expansion it is a major problem (see below).

The most egregious problem however lies with the so-called "Advanced Game" expansion (which you don't mention), which also was caught between base game editions. There are some things in this expansion I would really like but I'm avoiding it so far (I stare at it everytime I visit my FLGS) because of the design decisions/problems it presents.

The decision to include partly unassembled, unpainted pewter figs in a game that is otherwise entirely player-color coded plastic is absolutely inexplicable. In one way this helps mitigate the color change between Orcs and Elves between editions of the base game but the Advanced Game expansion also contains tokens to represent additional advanced units beyond the figs provided. Of course they are coloured according to the first edition and so two sets (Orcs and Elves) are wrong for the second edition.

A nicely fleshed out advanced set of combat routines would be great but the advanced expansion is entirely based on only four players thus increasing the incompatibilties between the base game (either edition) and the other expansion.

It all makes me just shake my head at the lost opportunity to have a game that is unique, from Canada, on our shelves. The fine game underneath has been buried by production gaffes.

Because of all this, the sales have undoubtedly been disappointing making the motivation for anyone to fix the problems questionable. I would like to think it is do-able (and I earnestly hope that it will be done someday) and maybe settling on a template for the figs is a start but there is a very long, long way to go from that point. But you have my best wishes for success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.