Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has caused some heated debate:

The general Dominion rules state that you should, as much as possible, follow the text of a card from top to bottom and resolve each card one at a time.

The Upgrade card is +1 card; +1 action; Trash a card. Gain a card worth exactly one more than the trashed card.

I play Upgrade. I draw 1 card. I play one card (i.e. +1 action). The played card is Bridge (the value of all cards is reduced -1.)

I trash a copper (value: 0) and gain a Pawn (value: 2, but reduced to 1 by the Bridge.)

To me this is following the rules explicitly. The other opinion is that you need to trash a card before playing another.

Donald?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this question has been answered in multiple forums already, though worded differently every time. Here and here are examples.

+1 action means you add one to the total number of actions you can play this turn. It does not mean play another action now.

The player in your example would have to trash a card first, then they may play another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Action does not mean play one action, it means you have one additional action available to you this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
This has caused some heated debate:

The general Dominion rules state that you should, as much as possible, follow the text of a card from top to bottom and resolve each card one at a time.

The Upgrade card is +1 card; +1 action; Trash a card. Gain a card worth exactly one more than the trashed card.

I play Upgrade. I draw 1 card. I play one card (i.e. +1 action). The played card is Bridge (the value of all cards is reduced -1.)

I trash a copper (value: 0) and gain a Pawn (value: 2, but reduced to 1 by the Bridge.)

To me this is following the rules explicitly. The other opinion is that you need to trash a card before playing another.

Donald?

I am not sure if this is a real question, given the fact that it is answered several multiple countless times already and the OP was nice enough to put his error in bold AND italics for our answering conveniance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
So following this logic, the player should also trash a card before drawing another?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the text in order.

(a) +1 card: Draw a card

(b) +1 action: Add one to your available actions. As noted above, this does not mean that you play another card.

(c) Trash a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
So following this logic, the player should also trash a card before drawing another?

Why? You do things in order as they are written on the card, thus with Upgrade you go from top to bottom:
+1 card: draw a card
+1 action: add one to the number of available actions this turn.
Trash a card from your hand: self-explanatory
Gain a card costing exactly 1 (coin) more than it: If one is available, gain a card costing exactly 1 more than the card you trashed.

After you've done all this then, and only then, the Upgrade card is fully resolved and you may go on to playing other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

Well, now it gets more interesting. Starting from the point that "+1 Action does not mean play one action, it means you have one additional action available to you this turn.", how could you conclude that "from top to bottom" is not valid anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

No. You play the cards top-down, but "+1 action" and "+1 buy" are explicitly not immediately triggered; they add to your "banks" of actions and purchases, respectively. Actions and buys are always optional -- you are never required to take an action simply because you have one, nor are you required to buy anything just because you have coins available -- so it would make no sense to require you to do it before you move on to the other card effects. (What if you chose not to do an action? Would you then not get to take advantage of the rest of the card?)

So you read the card from top to bottom, doing everything to the maximum extent possible:

+1 card - draw a card
+1 action - add an action to your queue
Trash a card - trash a card from your hand
Gain a card of value 1 greater than the trashed card - take a card that costs one more than the card you trashed and add it to your discard pile; if no such card is available, you gain nothing.

Now you have an action left. Have at it!

(It may help to think of "+1 card, +1 action" cards as cards that replace themselves in your hand, both in terms of the card you draw and the action you gain, while allowing you to do something else as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN TODD JENSEN
United States
CLYMAN
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

"+1 Card" means "increase your card pool by 1."
"+1 Action" means "increase your action pool by 1."
"+1 Buy" means "increase your buy pool by 1."

Increasing your action and buy pools by 1 are done mentally, but increasing your card pool (that is, your hand) must be done physically by drawing a card. So, what you do, in exactly this order, when you play an Upgrade is:

Draw a card.

Say out loud, "I have another action left." (but don't play that action yet!!)

Trash a card from your hand, if you have any cards in your hand.

Gain a card costing one more coin than the card you just trashed, if such exists.

Then, if you wish, you can move on to the next Action.

Edit: I swear, none of the above answers were there when I started this one. I'm slowwwwwwww.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies to all: in re-reading the rules this is quite clearly stated.

This was our very first session of Intrigue. I think the small details were less significant in the original Dominion game; the new cards, with their many options, seem to be more sensitive to these nuances.

I really liked the new cards, and look forward to many more sessions.

Thanks for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However, if you used Mining Village, Nobles, or another +2 action card, you could play the Bridge first and Upgrade a Copper into something that normally costs 2 just as you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Even in our mistaken assumptions we recognized that as being the ideal way to use the two cards together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.