Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a good annotated Bible for someone (me) looking not for spiritual enlightenment but for historical/cultural context on the origins of the writings, the people and the events mentioned?

Edit: Found the Archaeological Study Bible on Amazon. Anybody know this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting but I think a separate book would probably best give the historical/cultural context, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
I picked this up recently:

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Know-Much-About-Bible/dp/03807283...

Amazon.com Review
The Bible, author Kenneth Davis explains, fits that definition of a "classic" offered by Mark Twain: a book that people praise and don't read. But this entertaining historical study will likely compel listeners to reach for their dusty copies of the world's most-owned but least-understood anthology once again. And not simply because the author reminds us of the drama and intrigue, the tales of rape, impaling, and ethnic cleansing routinely found in its pages. Davis paints the larger historical context in which the Bible was written, providing a sense of the culture and environment in which the familiar stories came to life. Calling on new research and scholarship into the Bible's composition, he provides fascinating background to dimly remembered stories that gives them renewed impact. Using a series of easy-to-follow questions and answers, he offers explanations about when and by whom the Bible was written; how the stories of other traditions influenced the Judeo-Christian teachings; where the Garden of Eden might have been located; why an earthquake may have played a part in the "walls tumbling down" at Jericho; why Jesus may not have said everything we think he did, and much more. He also points out that mistranslations from the original Hebrew have made their way into modern versions of the Bible, explaining where and how they occurred. Conceding that his program will anger some, as it challenges many cherished but mistaken assumptions about the Bible, Davis also hopes that listeners recognize that Christian belief and uncovering the truth are not at odds in this program, but rather that learning and wisdom, even when they reach unsettling conclusions, can ultimately complement faith.

From Publishers Weekly
Davis (Don't Know Much About History) attempts to teach us everything we need to know about the Bible but never learned. Davis brings to life the world of the Bible by putting it in historical context and attempting to clear up misconceptions and mistranslations. He summarizes Bible stories and parables, adding his own interpretive insights. Among his claims: Joseph didn't own a coat of many colors (the words have been mistranslated); Moses didn't part the Red Sea; Jonah wasn't in the belly of a whale; King David didn't kill Goliath, nor did he write the Psalms; Jesus probably wasn't born in Bethlehem; Jesus performed three resurrections besides his own. Davis also identifies which biblical teachings he thinks were appropriate for a semi-nomadic desert tribe but are no longer applicable to life at the dawn of the 21st century (e.g., the prohibition in Leviticus against planting your fields with two different kinds of seeds). While Davis's engaging volume offers little for biblical experts, it serves as an good introduction for Bible novices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two that I recommend quite a bit. Both are a little more 'scholarly' and New Revised Standard (as that is what I prefer to read):

The HarperCollins Study Bible

The New Interpreters' Study Bible

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Asimov's Guide to the Bible:

http://www.amazon.com/Asimovs-Guide-Bible-Historical-Testame...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading and very much enjoying Kugel's How To Read the Bible, which presents traditional and more-recent interpretations/explanations of the Hebrew Bible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is price a concern? This:

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/title/Navarre-Study-...

is probably the best, most scholarly English Bible available. One of the many good things to come from the little region of Navarra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.e-sword.net/features.html

Useless on the beach (unless you have a Pocket PC) but it is the PC based Bible that I use the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrChek wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good annotated Bible for someone (me) looking not for spiritual enlightenment but for historical/cultural context on the origins of the writings, the people and the events mentioned?

Edit: Found the Archaeological Study Bible on Amazon. Anybody know this one?

We have the Archaeological Study Bible, and it's quite good - I highly recommend it. I agree with Jon though - you'll probably have better luck finding what you're looking for in a separate book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Requete wrote:
Is price a concern? This:

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/index.cfm/title/Navarre-Study-...

is probably the best, most scholarly English Bible available. One of the many good things to come from the little region of Navarra.

I've not read this one, but I'd be rather surprised if the writers of that specific book used mainstream Catholic interpretations: Theology departments from Opus Dei universities will give you Opus Dei doctrine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a chronological bible I really enjoy reading. They reordered everything based on estimated time line. It is especially cool in my opinion for integrating many parts of the Old Testament like Kings and Samuel that are telling stories that have overlapping time lines and the Gospels in the New Testament. It also includes some historical synopsis when there are large time line gaps.

There are a couple different versions of this published. Here is a USA Today article on the concept.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-08-14-bible-chron...

The one I own is the NIV version daily bible in chronological order.
I enjoy it but some of the others may be more "scholarly"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.