United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject of this thread says it all. I'm curious, we can now create new cards (or additional cards) for our favorite games. Possibly even creating player aids and so forth in the shape of portable cards. However is there anyone out there that does the same for Chits or even a thicker cardstock piece. For those of us who have "Betrayal at House on the Hill" I'm sure there is a certain Lake Tile that could use a Basement backing instead. Or maybe for the budding game designers out there who are putting together a new expansion for some of their favorite games (maybe new hex tiles for Twilight Imperium, Settlers of Catan or even a new tile set for Carcassone?) Heck, if anyone has wanted to change the type of resouces that are grouped together in Le Harve or if someone even wanted to remake Ogre, there has got to be something like artscow but for cardboard...right?

Ok, so it's obvious I have a few ideas I'd like to visit and I'm sure I'm probably not the only one. Outside of gluing sheet after sheet of cardstock together and going to staples to get a nice laser print job, does anyone know of any place that creates chits or other thick custom pieces?

Help me BGG you're my only hope!

Apoligies in advance if this has been touched on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always the accucut

http://www.accucut.com/MARK_IVbr__Accessories-c132-p1,132.ht...?

A little pricey to start off but it produces excellent results.

Checkout the making of Viktory II for more info.

http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use full page label paper and chipboard. It works out nicely. I can make you some if you need some counters made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Ken on this. I really reccomend the printing/mounting/cutting method. I find that my results can be really spectacular. I recently bought a game with traditional counters and was punching them out. But they seemed to look funny - and then it hit me. I had the tradtional corner "tufts" after I punched out the counters. My DTP counters were perfectly square. It's also nowhere near as costly.as buying your own jigs and dies.

I really like manufacturers that support digital versions of their games. Especially the counters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just spoke with Vince at http://millerstudio.net/, and he's willing to do chits on just about any thick material you want - even plywood or plastic. He can do small runs, too.

They just got a new thick-material printer that they're itching to try out, so hit him up (and let him know you're from BoardGameGeek) and he should be able to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Satire wrote:
I just spoke with Vince at http://millerstudio.net/, and he's willing to do chits on just about any thick material you want - even plywood or plastic. He can do small runs, too.

They just got a new thick-material printer that they're itching to try out, so hit him up (and let him know you're from BoardGameGeek) and he should be able to help!

what are we talking for ballpark costs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As far as costs go: they literally just got the new machine in a week or two ago--they're a print shop that was specializing in some other fields, and wanted to branch out. I know Vince wants to try his hand at new materials and projects on it, to see what it's capable of. Of course, he mentioned a new machine that can print on anything, and I immediately thought "BOARDGAMES!"

So--I'm doubting they've standardized their pricing yet. I also know that because they're itching to throw things at the machine, it's probably a good time to get a good rate. Much of the time on this kind of thing the setup and small-run cost is what's going to kill it (try getting two of anything printed... it's usually impossible at a decent rate), and I'm guessing they'll keep that to a minimum so they can test it on new materials and applications.

To give you some idea, (among other things) they've used it to print on everything from golf balls to fishing rods. It can print on wood, plastic, metal... as soon as I get some time, I want to see if I can coax some custom dice out of it. Or maybe tiles, if I can come up with a tile-laying game. He also noted that he can print cards of any size, but I don't know how they'd compare to Artscow.

I'd suggest giving them a call and explaining what you're looking for--they're friendly. Remember to mention BBG, and if you get a quote please post it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone that replied. I'm tagging this thread for "future" use. I have a few things in mind, I just have to sit down and crank stuff out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I use full page label paper and chipboard. It works out nicely. I can make you some if you need some counters made.

When prototyping, I use A4 label paper stuck onto mounting board. You can buy mounting board from an art shop - it's usually A2 or A3, about 1.5mm thick, like paper on the outside, with some sort of filling in the middle. You can cut it with scissors (although it's hard work). And because you're sticking label paper onto it, you can put the label paper through a printer first.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.