Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Hack
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem to imply, but don't state directly, that subs in passive mode cannot make any attacks. There is a rule that torpedo attacks require active mode, but nothing further. However, the sample game turn implies that sub ASW attacks requires active mode as well. I'd guess that this holds for missile attacks too?

Also, in the AAR posted on dvg.com, the Norwegian sub Ula is sunk but didn't attempt to evade, probably an oversight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is yes, a submarine must be in active mode to make an attack. A sub can only use a torpedo attack when active, as stated in the rules. I give examples below.

On page five of the rule book regarding range it states the following:

Quote:
A Torpedo Attack card can target any ship or submarine...

On page seven of the rulebook, it states the following

Quote:
Submarine Torpedo Attacks
Active submarines can play a Torpedo Combat action card to attack an enemy submarine or ship in any row.

As for ASW, I don't recall it saying a submarine has to be active per se, but looking at the card, it has to be right-side-up, I believe, to use the attack symbols. When the sub is upside-down (Passive mode), the only useful stat (with the correct orientation) on the card is the evasion number.

The play example in the rule book shows the active player putting his submarine into Active Mode before attacking with it, which isn't proof positive, but is grounds for my way of playing subs in MNBGW.

Hopefully Dan the Man will see this and give us a definitive answer.

edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Right, in order to do any kind of attack a submarine must be active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.