Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of an online store or other source to find out the actual weight of a game? To be clear, I'm talking about pounds and ounces, not the gamer slang for difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I'll box up the game the night before.

On my way to work, I'll visit a 24 hour Post Office location with one of those Automated Postal Centers to weigh the game (noting down the weight), then make the label during a break at work.

In between, I can check the USPS's website to find out how much the package would cost to ship out (note that it's cheaper to pay for Priority Mail online than directly at the Post Office), as well as notify the person I'm sending to the weight (and shipping cost) of the package. If a payment is required, I would then hold off making the label until payment is received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm asking...what I'm looking for is an online game store or other source that lists the actual weight of games, so that I can just email/geekmail the purchasers with a shipping cost without having to go to the post office first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Funagain.com has the information, in grams, for each game. I have no idea how accurate it is.

If possible, I'd recommend investing in a small postal scale. I bought one a year or two ago, for all of about $20 or so via eBay, and I love it. It weighs items up to 35 pounds and has saved me many, many trips to the post office.

EDIT: As a reminder, though, you're shipping much more than just the game. You're also shipping the outer packing box, the packing materials, the shipping label, and so on. I've seen a game that was just under, say, 3 lbs. go well over 4 lbs. (and into the next weight class, or whatever the USPS does) simply by adding the shipping materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found buying a set of kitchen scales worked for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm asking...what I'm looking for is an online game store or other source that lists the actual weight of games, so that I can just email/geekmail the purchasers with a shipping cost without having to go to the post office first.

I suppose you can go to Amazon. But it's safer to figure in the packaging materials and shipping box, rather than leaving that part to guesswork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine Games lists the weight of their games online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the flat rate priority boxes, which are free to order online and have a stash at home. The $10.35 and $13.95 will hold most games (the 13.95 will hold two Settlers-sized games, roughly, as I'm not home to test this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.