Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Walton
United Kingdom
Chiswick
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have query regarding the rules about siege trains.

Can they move alone under the command of a general or must there be at least one brigade also present?

Rule 7.1.4 states that a siege train does not count as a brigade for stacking or any other purpose and must remain with a friendly army or in a fortress.

My interpretation of this is that there must indeed be at least one brigade, under the command of a general, to form an army that the siege train can then accompany.

Can any one clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.

The Siege Train must move with an Army, within the rules for forming and maintaining an Army.

Notably: A General cannot be alone, or he is removed from the map as an "unemployed general", he must have a brigade with him or with a Leader subordinated to him.

So the Siege Train can belong to a General with no brigades, as long as the General has a Subordinate General with one or more brigades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Walton
United Kingdom
Chiswick
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying the point. The issue of the senior General having only a siege train and the subordinate having brigades is not one that had crossed my mind but is worth noting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi Perttila
Finland
lahti
hame
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but if siege train is NOT considered as brigade(7.1.4)
and lone generals(8.2) says,
" The owning player must remove to the Unemployed Generals Box any General (including a Subordinate or Subordinating General) who has no Brigades at any stage after placement unless otherwise provided."

so senior general with only siege train should go to unemploy box and siege train also. (Under no circumstances may a Siege Train be transferred to another General or dropped)

Or I misreaded something( propably..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Charles, Joshua, and Robin can confirm this for me, but my understanding is that a general with no brigades of his own is still considered to have brigades if stacked with a subordinate who does have brigades.

The reference to 8.2 refers only to a situation in which a general has no brigades directly or via a subordinate.

My reasoning is in part derived from 9.5, under Subordinating Levels: "For all purposes, when counting Brigades in an Army, count all Brigades of all Subordinates in the total (this is true even if the superior General loses all his Brigades)."

So in the original question, the general with only a siege train is fine as long as his subordinate has a brigade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nrandall wrote:
Charles, Joshua, and Robin can confirm this for me, but my understanding is that a general with no brigades of his own is still considered to have brigades if stacked with a subordinate who does have brigades.

The reference to 8.2 refers only to a situation in which a general has no brigades directly or via a subordinate.

My reasoning is in part derived from 9.5, under Subordinating Levels: "For all purposes, when counting Brigades in an Army, count all Brigades of all Subordinates in the total (this is true even if the superior General loses all his Brigades)."

So in the original question, the general with only a siege train is fine as long as his subordinate has a brigade.

I agree Neil, the subordinates Brigades are counted as being Brigades under the superior Generals's command. A superior General might have nothing but subordinates on his command display and is still able to remain in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
The relevant rule cite is in 9.5, under SUBORDINATING LEVELS:

"For all purposes, when counting Brigades in an Army, count all Brigades of all Subordinates in the total (this is true even if the superior General loses all his Brigades)."

(emphasis in original)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
When a seige train is in a fortress that surrenders is it removed to the turn track, removed from the game (permanently) or available for recruiting in the same turn?

the wording in 7.1.4 specifies the turn track and 14.4 (2) says "removed from play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
7.1.4 applies to all situations except when the Siege Train is inside a surrendering Fortress. 14.4 overrides 7.1.4 for that case (only).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua,

Thanks for answering so quickly.

Just to comfirm; as per 14.4 (2) if the Siege Train counter is inside a Fortress that Surrenders, the Siege Train counter is removed permanently from the game and cannot be recruited again.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
That's correct, the Siege Train is gone for good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.