13 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone else think the dice icons are illogical? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone.

There's something about this game i always found weird.
Why does it use a sword icon to represent a 'character' action, a helmet for a 'muster' action and a flag for an 'army' action?

Doesn't
Helmet -> character
Flag -> muster
Sword -> army

make more sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Why does it use a sword icon to represent a 'character' action, a helmet for a 'muster' action and a flag for an 'army' action?

Doesn't
Helmet -> character
Flag -> muster
Sword -> army

make more sense?

Original make perfect sense:

Helmet = Muster, because the troops are getting outfitted.

Flag = Army, because flags are used as signal, focal points, etc.

Sword = Character, because no character ever leaves home without a weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:
Hi, everyone.

Doesn't
Helmet -> character
Flag -> muster
Sword -> army

make more sense?

Woe-eth unto thee, little man from the North Lands. In arrogance dost thou question the authority behindeth this majestic game...eth.

Sorry, my Tolkien defense system overreacted.

The only thing that annoys me is that the FPP dice has both army and muster on one side, which forces me to show new players the symbols under a microscope so they can tell what they're looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean it annoyed me, it was just an observation.

Dam the Man wrote:

Helmet = Muster, because the troops are getting outfitted.
Flag = Army, because flags are used as signal, focal points, etc.
Sword = Character, because no character ever leaves home without a weapon.

A flag is indeed a focal point, which is where you would rally (muster) your troops.

And a sword is usually used for fighting, which is what you do with an 'army' die.

And a helmet is usually on a character's head.

But i suppose you could put a sword on your head and try to kill your enemies with a flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:

I think Gandalf and Legolas definately went bare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helmet = army move, because helmets are the only thing all the soldiers have in common.
Sword = muster, because the difference between people and soldiers is having a weapon.
Flag = character, because individual characters can't have much effect in battles except through leading others.

There, I think we covered all the possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anfauglir wrote:
Hi, everyone.

The reasons for our choices is that the FP sword was actually Frodo's sword, Sting, and the Shadow one is an orc sword (so, 'character'), the 'helmet' is actually a crown (Gondor's and Nazgul's crown, so connected to orders, command...), and the flag was pretty well connected to armies in our mind.

Your angle is pretty logical too, though!

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, i invoked an answer from one of the designers on my very first post. Cool.

I guess you can also fight enemies by throwing a palantir at them (like Grima), or burn them to death with your flaming eye, so there are plenty of possibilities for army icons. laugh

I still think the dice are really cool though. (the rest of the game too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Anfauglir wrote:

No, Gandalf wore a cap, which become a plot-point in its contrast to a hood, and Legolas wore ahooded elven cloak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The dice are physically just great. They're fun to roll. They don't feel unbalanced or hollow like the custom dice in certain other games. It adds a bunch to the game that the physical components that are your central obsession are worth looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Anfauglir wrote:

No, Gandalf wore a cap, which become a plot-point in its contrast to a hood, and Legolas wore ahooded elven cloak.

Bare from helmets I meant. Of course, those hoods were naturally heavily enchanted with bonus to defense (flashback to the MERP days) !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, GREAT, now when I play I won't remember what each symbol actually means any more! Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.