BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Attention UK dwellers: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have been watching a lot of British mysteries lately. As per usual, loads of people walk around at night, in the woods/countryside. There is always, every time, some god-awful bird or creature making this horrid, short screaming noise. It sounds like a parrot trying to shout "YAH!"

WHAT IS IT AND HOW CAN IT BE KILLED?ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a raven you're hearing? They sound a little bit like you describe, and they're pretty common at night in Britain.

Edit: I know that same ravens say "nevermore" instead, but that's pretty unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Really? A raven? I thought there wasn't much difference between ravens and crows, horrible noise-wise.

I'll try to find a youtube example to post tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the internet, you can hear the difference yourself. Take a look at http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/difs.html and see if it sounds like what you hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Edit: I know that same ravens say "nevermore" instead, but that's pretty unusual.

Happily look at his microbadges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insufficient data to compute.

Please define British Mysteries. Are you talking about modern detective series made by UK production companies, or some godawful American idea of Britain made on the back lot at Warner Bros.?

Please define woods/countryside. Do you mean farmland, forestry, hills, mountains, moors?

If it is a genuine UK production set in genuine wild areas, or remote farmland, it could be a pheasant, grouse or even a Ptarmigen.

Otherwise it could be a songbird, such as the Blackbird or Thrush, which would cluck a sharp warning.

Any wild bird other than vermin is protected in law and cannot be killed. Game birds such as pheasants can be blown to pieces by a 12-bore shotgun. No more, no less, mark you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Maybe it's a raven you're hearing? They sound a little bit like you describe, and they're pretty common at night in Britain.

It won't be a raven. They only live in the Tower Of London.

Rooks and crows go to roost at night in tall trees (rooks roost together in groups, a rookery, whereas crows are more solitary). They wouldn't bother with even coachloads of detectives stumbling in the dark beneath them. Hard as nails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's probably a crow. They can spook a person out pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
More data:

The shows have been Jonathan Creek and Foyle's War. As for what side of the country, I couldn't say unfortunately. I don't know England well at all. (I know that according to these shows, everyone lives in giant, sprawling manors.) I've looked up the calls of the suggested birds. None of them match. It's a call that's made once. (Some birds will say "tweet tweet" or say, "Caw Caw." This is simply "YAH!")

Also, the "how can it be killed" question was simply a crude joke on my part. I am fond of birds and love researching them and watching them.

I've just been curious because the noise is:
a) Kind of scary sounding
b) extremely common, as in, nobody freaks out when they hear it, as I would
c) Really aggravating

Thank you to all for the suggestions! I have been trying to find an example on the youtubes that doesn't involve watching for 20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Foyle's War is set mainly down South.

Jonathan Creek (great show) was set a bit more all over the place I think.

BTW, if they are just using stock soundtrack as a background noise it could be anywhere.

There used to be, and probably still is, some stock soundtrack that got used an awful lot in films from the 50s, 60s and 70s that had all sorts of animal noises and was used a lot in jungle scenes. The problem being that one of the bird noises that had been mixed in was a Kookaburra and none of the films I have heard it in have been set in Australian meeple

Of course this question should have been posted to www.birdcallgeek.com whistle

Edit: Here's an Australian one (admittedly not too useful for your question)

And some British ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it was a crow...

There's a reason the collective noun for crows is a 'Murder'! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.