Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Oceania» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ambiguity in the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even After reading the post here, there is still a few things I am not sure.

Surrounding:

A- If I surround an area in a shape of a U that touch the top part of the board, do I fill in the empty holes with reserve tiles like it would happen if I did and upside down U.

Some people here seems to say yes, but in the rule book, there is an scoring example with an uncompleted U island that does not score. Same thing for the 1 player game example.

B- If the surrounded area contains more than 1 empty space, does the player that close the areas place fill up all the tiles, or each player choose to place a tile?

Ship:

C- If you place a ship on a tile, can you only place the new tiles adjacent to this tile, OR can you place a tile on any dotted line that is connected to this tile?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A-The top of the board is not considered a board edge so empty spaces inolving this side of the board are not filled in.

B-The only time you fill in a space with more than one tile is if those spaces are landlocked. The player who surrounded the area fills in all the land tiles.

C- Not sure of the question but you can only explore from the dotted lines on a tiles; hence, tiles must connect dotted line to dotted line. Therefore, you cannot connect a land mass directly to a land mass.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cannot fill up the tiles on the top, we end up with the bug where there is 1 missing tile to place and each player draws a tile until he can find a matching tile. Which makes each player accumulate a lot of negative points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
A- If I surround an area in a shape of a U that touch the top part of the board, do I fill in the empty holes with reserve tiles like it would happen if I did and upside down U.

No. You fill in holes in two situations: when the empty area is completely surrounded by land, or when only one empty space is surrounded by other tiles or borders. (The other poster is wrong, the top border only differs in that you can't launch the ship from there.)

Quote:
B- If the surrounded area contains more than 1 empty space, does the player that close the areas place fill up all the tiles, or each player choose to place a tile?

It doesn't make any difference. Since this only happens when the spaces are surrounded by land, they are filled with all-land tiles.

Quote:
C- If you place a ship on a tile, can you only place the new tiles adjacent to this tile, OR can you place a tile on any dotted line that is connected to this tile?

No. It must be adjacent to the tile the ship is on and connected by water.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
If you cannot fill up the tiles on the top, we end up with the bug where there is 1 missing tile to place and each player draws a tile until he can find a matching tile. Which makes each player accumulate a lot of negative points.

It may happen that in the end game players are drawing a lot of tiles that don't fit and accumulating negative points, whether the empty spaces are on the top or anywhere else. That is part of the game. But if there is any area with only one empty space, it is automatically filled with a reserve tile. It is not uncommon, though, to end up with unfinished islands, particularly next to the top of the board. That is part of the game, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No. You fill in holes in two situations: when the empty area is completely surrounded by land, or when only one empty space is surrounded by other tiles or borders. (The other poster is wrong, the top border only differs in that you can't launch the ship from there.)


So the reason why there is an incomplete island in the scoring example of the rule book is because this island is made of 2. If it was mas of 1 empty space, I would have filled it.

Following the rule above, If I create an upside down U touching the bottom of the board with more than 1 space, I don't fill it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
So the reason why there is an incomplete island in the scoring example of the rule book is because this island is made of 2. If it was mas of 1 empty space, I would have filled it.

Following the rule above, If I create an upside down U touching the bottom of the board with more than 1 space, I don't fill it up.

Correct on both accounts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
No. You fill in holes in two situations: when the empty area is completely surrounded by land, or when only one empty space is surrounded by other tiles or borders. (The other poster is wrong, the top border only differs in that you can't launch the ship from there.)


So the reason why there is an incomplete island in the scoring example of the rule book is because this island is made of 2. If it was mas of 1 empty space, I would have filled it.

Following the rule above, If I create an upside down U touching the bottom of the board with more than 1 space, I don't fill it up.
.

That is only true if your out of tiles. The reason it is not filled is because it is made if 2 spaces, not land locked and because you can not play tiles from the top of the board. If it was on any other edge you would run in to the above mentioned "drawing a lot of tiles" with a possibility of never filling it.

I was wondering about a different rule regarding discarded sea tiles in the 2 player game. The rules says to play a discarded tile I can remove any of my scouts and remove them from the game...does this include scouts already played? I could make a thread for it but the title of this one is nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think you remove it from your reserve.

I don't have the game anymore, but I just wanted to say that I made a variant for this game that fixed (in my point of view) many issues and make the game more interesting. You should take a look:

Scout Exploration Variant V 1.0.0
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.