Popular Tags: [View All]
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my second game of Cosmic Encounter ever. I have just bought the Fantasy Flight version after playing fellow Norwich Boardgamer Jimmy's Eon(?) copy about a year ago at our regular club night. I'd been properly trying to learn the rules and read all the cards and understand all the powers in order to teach it to my friends. I put it in my bag, not expecting it to actually get played, and having had only six hours sleep in the last two days and in my wakefulness twenty hours labouring maybe hoping to opt for something I could play in my sleep, like Caylus

However Jimmy was there and it panned out that we played it four player. Jimmy, a long time Cosmic Veteran - having played it since it was first brought down from mount Sinai - convinced us to go for a three power game with twenty flares. I was too tired to realise how this would pan out. I had never seen mention of three powers online. All my plans for a single power, only green alien game (maybe even selecting four/five them myself based on recommendations on another thread) went swiftly out of the window as Jimmy dived into a rules session.

We had the following (in turn order):

Peter: Warpish, Tick Tock, Shadow
Rich (me): Gambler, Healer, Vulch
Jimmy: Human, Void, Tripler
James: Trader, Machine, Grudge

Perhaps veterans might want to predict who would win?

In the early game I managed to build up a massive hand, using the Healer + Healer Flare. Void managed to wipe out a few ships early on. TickTock managed to lose a few of his tokens. At the beginning people were very conscious of the Tick-Tock and deals being refused was quite common (to the profit of the cards in my hand). I enjoyed using the Gambler ability a great deal, I had built up a big hand with lots of flares. Which of course James stole with the Trader ability when he had the chance. He then used the Wild Human flare to beat hell out of everyone. Despite a pretty united front against James (with me allying in attack to stay level) James managed to build a lead. But in the end the power of the Human Wild => Human Player => Trader gifted it to his Machine, who despite having his bases reduced to one in the end by valient attacks from Jimmy was able to eke out a victory with some well timed flares.

I planned to ride on James's coat tails and then use a Wild Sorceror flare to steal the machine ability from James to prevent his victory, but the ruling on it was not as I thought it might be (and even if I it had gone how I thought it was I think I left it a turn too late anyway). I thought it would mean I would decide what was traded for what - surely trading one of three abilities is less game swinging than trading one of one abilities? - so that failed.

At times my hand contained about eight flares and I was confused a lot of the time. There was too much chaos to plan for... I was pretty impressed with how well the total newbs did, I think they had probably slept a bit more than I had but still... Perhaps if I had played Cosmic since the days of King Arthur (like Jimmy), perhaps I would have been able to follow the three power madness a bit better. Anyway, it was still a lot of fun and I hope to play it again soon. Though probably with only one power. And probably with only ten flares. And probably after a good night's sleep.

In fact I am so tired now I'm not even sure who won, or if any of this is accurate. Or real?! So I should go to sleep.

Questions

Do any of you play with 3 powers? How would you have ruled the Sorceror? Can you/do you play boardgames when you're dog tired? Do you think FFG should have made the Aliens (and flares) more multiple power friendly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a great deal of triple power games, most of those also utilizing hidden powers. I've ruled that the sorcerer flare is each individual player's choice. So if you play it, you choose what you give up, but your opponent chooses what they give up.

I think for the most part the powers are multiple power friendly, you just have to be careful with certain combos. In the end, player politics can usually beat out a powerful combo, though machine and mutant can be pretty rough, unlimited turns, unlimited cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the game with two (hidden) powers. One power games can get mighty dull, since a power that's too sexy to pass up may end up being playable only once every several turns.

Hidden powers are actually easier for newer players, since they don't have to absorb all the game rules *and* all the powers in the first few minutes of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anywhere that has a collection of these multipower kind of rules questions like the sorceror flare? I was slightly surprised given the commonness of people playing with multiple powers that it wasn't covered in the rules as a variant. And with there being a techonology card that grants an extra power...

Also, that's an interesting point about hidden powers being easier for beginners. I still want to try playing the game a few times with only one power, all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's official rules, yet. That's likely to be covered in the expansion when that comes out. I've not played 3 powers often. I've found 2 to be adequately insane.

As for the insanity level in comboes... My favored method of choosing powers is this:
1: deal 3 to each player
2: each player makes a hidden choice,
3: after all players choose they reveal their choices
4: the other powers are discarded.
note: I don't shuffle them in, they're simply out of the game.
5: deal 3 more to each player
6-8: repeat steps 2-4.

you don't get to choose both powers at the same time thus eliminating some of the more broken comboes. It also gives you enough options in the second round that if your first round choice is poorly matched against someone else you can choose something to make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your method. I'll definitely give your way a try when I next play with multiple powers. Ha ha it's funny, I've only played Cosmic twice and already I crave an expansion. I think there is something wrong with me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a nice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
one of my favorite ways to do multiple powers is deal 1 face up to each person, then deal 2 flares and let player choose one. Or deal 3, choose 2 for triple.

You can also do a deal 3, pick one, discard one, pass one to the player on your left.

I've had success with a draft, though it makes everything face up. Just randomly determine draft order, deal out 3 powers per player, if you want a 2 power game, and draft 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1.

Short story, be creative with how you do powers, ultimately it doesn't matter, as long as everyone is happy with how you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we handle the Sorcerer flare in multi power games is thusly:

If I play the flare to make the two main players exchange powers, the offensive player would choose one of the defensive player's powers, and then the defensive player would choose one of the offensive player's powers (not counting the defensive player's power that was just picked).

example: Offense is Human and Clone, Defense is Machine and Filch. Offense picks the Machine to take away... Defense picks Clone. From that point on, the powers the players have are Human and Machine for player 1 and Clone and Filch for player two. The Sorcerer was either discarded or handed to the player with the Sorcerer power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that way of resolving the Sorceror issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the EON game, players had what was called a "primary" power, so whenever an game effect affected powers, it was usually the secondary/non-primary power.

As for picking powers, 3 powers is insane, but 2 powers is very managable (and keeps the game from being dull if you get a crappy power). Here's our favorite way to pick:

- Deal 3 powers to each player.
- Each player picks one power as their primary.
- Each player discards one power from the game.
- Each player puts one power in the "middle".
- The "middle" powers are randomly distributed to the players.

This way you got the best pick of 3 random powers, then you got a second power from someone else (usually, though sometimes you get your own back). We also always play hidden powers. Makes for some really cool games.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.