Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

After 4 consecutive games of Runebound I've managed to case-studied the best 3 Characters in the game (Runebound 2nd Ed. w/out Box Expansions).

Bogran the Shadow
5W - 3E
M:3/2
B:1/1
S:3/1

Between Bogran and Red Scorpion is a very difficult choice. My first game was with the Scorpion and I guess she is the perfect choice for first-time gamers. But the Numero Um is Bogran because of the neat abbility he has to Escape automatically. This with his 5W makes this an almost immortal hero in Challenges. This ability also saved me my Allies from certain-death in some key Challenges.
Because of this ability and being able to deal 2W on Ranged Combat (the first combat step) makes this Character a top choice for diehard players. Also is worth to mention that he has Hide and Sneak +2, two of the most used abilities in tests.

Red Scorpion
5W - 4E
M:4/1
B:4/1
S:4/1

Red Scorpion is a good balanced Character. Her ability of taking 1E for 1W is great along with major 4/1 on her attributes. She doesn't gives 2W on any stance but with the correct apparel she can deal with most foes. And being 4 in basic attributes also improves durability since the Defense rolls are more easy than most Characters that have one 1/1 attribute. She also has Diplomacy +2 that works fine with Events that require this test, but I guess what makes the difference is the balance of this Character along with the Damage prevention ability.

One-Fist
5W - 3E
M:3/1
B:3/2
S:1/1

This was the one I last played and he has a terrific ability, the chance to re-roll a combat roll. This worked really great once I evolved it and added a Weapon to make +1W on Melee. This is a Melee Character with good Defense against Ranged attacks. I guess I make him third in ranking because the re-roll ability, it's huge against level Blue/Red foes and do make the diference!

#Honorable
Battlemage Jaes
5W - 4E
M:2/1
B:3/1
S:4/2

Well, I was pretty doubtful in chosing him or Mad Carthos, but Jaes is way better. Cartos has M:0/1 and Jaes 2/1, this makes a diference in long-term playing. Also the Jaes ability is better, it don't require any test and don't give W, only E. Ok, Carthos can deal 2W by taking 1W but only once and require a Test, Jaes can deal +1W for 2E without Tests, and can repeat this stunt! He's the Honorable Mention on this article for those who like to go Magic and Jaes is so damn good on playing Magic!

That's my case-study.

For first-timers I really recommend Red Scorpion or Bogran if you feel a bit odd with the Dice Gods. Red Scorpion is so balanced that you can build her up along with the Weapons/Items that you gain/bought; and Bogran can be a nasty shooter in Ranged Combat along as he can also go with Magic. And that ability to Auto-Escape... it worths GOLD!
If you want a Melee Character you could go with One-Fist and his ability to re-roll combat, or if you want to cast spells Battlemage Jaes would be your best choice!

Thanks for reanding and...
Play Runebound! ALOT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Atmaja
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article thumbsup

I also like Varikas the dead. he has pretty balanced stats with melee that deals 2W, but his strong point is his ability of making one magic attack before combat for only 1 fatigue point.
with some appropriate supporting weapon I often able to finish an encounter with 1 early magic attack and ranged attack. and when the going gets tough, usually his melee attribute saves the day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played today with Jaes just to prove my theory! Again I was right, he's a lot better than Mad Carthos!

I played the Seven Scions Adv and I was playing him like a mad man, just to bump him in XP to deal with Storm Challenges. I ended with M:+2 and S:+6, with 2 Allies and 1 Scion (The Archer, IMO the best Scion) and a cool sword who give +3 Wo (it costs 11 gold, I guess it's the Spirit Sword or something like that), being able to almost auto-Wo on Magic (well, 10 base Soul power) and with his ability deal another point 'o-damage!

So, 10+2D10 for Magic dealing 2+3+1 Wo's... I totaly buy this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Jaes to be the best character... by far. I also find Spiritstealer Mok to be the worst, with the former I utterly destroy the game, with the latter, I find it hard to finish before the threat track expires, even on a low difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Hymes
United States
Ft Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not a huge fan of One-Fist. His biggest issue is the fact that his ability is once per turn, so you can't re-roll more than once in a single combat. This compounded by the fact that he has max 3 exhaust really hurts and almost forces that upgrade much earlier on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, boosting One Fist abilities would break much of the game and the character itself. I think he's good enough this way, and you have a Rune that also allows you to do the same thing so I think One Fist is the best Melee Character you could have from the lot of the Runebound 2nd Edition box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I seem to do better with Bogran and Varikus. Looking at my notebook (I have one for every game I own), playing solo (as 2-player) and using a variety of duo characters,my success rate is about 88% with the two mentioned characters as opposed to 74% with Varikas and Red Scorpion.
I only have the base game, but I played it 57 times. So, I am still experimenting.
Well, I will spare you the details of the other percentages !
Even though I like Runebound (2nd ed), I prefer Talisman (and the exps) and Prophecy. I like the latter because I have more control over the characters and the way they develope.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somehow my fav is Mok... Healing for free is just awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Stinson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Trenloe is pretty powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.