Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Balancing Arkham From a Different Angle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said before, just got the big box expansions and have had some extremely brutal games, so much so that I decided to start using Mandy's and Patrice's special abilities.

The game seems to have come down to, on my table, which overbalance overcomes the other.

Patrice is way too powerful. Had one game where she fed clues to three different investigators for seals.

Today, she passed her personal story and the doom track reached nine within one turn of each other. She entered OW with fifteen clues and easily sealed the sixth gate, using three clues in her first OW encounter.

What does everybody do? I was thinking of giving her a clue every other gate opening, allowing her to only hand one clue at a time and once per turn and allowing either of her five-clue rewards, but not both.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do fully random draws. Patrice is over-powered for sure, but if nobody is equipped to survive the OWs, all those Clues don't really help that much. My first game with Patrice went to final combat (though "Stars Are Right" had more than a little to do with that).

My second game Patrice helped, but it was more the combo of the random items that made the difference: Elder Sign, Gate Box and Find Gate Spell. With the last you, I could move an investigator to the gate where the Find Gater would return to and when the turn order allows it, the one in Arkham would go first, reach the gate, OWer would return, give the first investigator FG + GB. Then that investigator would get sucked in to the OW, while the one who returned closed (and sealed) the gate. Then in the Mythos, a new gate opens (decent odds). Regardless of where it leads, the now-OWer can use FG + GB to return to Arkham, ready to close/seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play, I use the Summer League Scenario rules. Survive and play again. Lose or get devoured, choose another investigator.

Patrice replaced a devoured Leo. In her first game, I gave her everything the rules call for. She allowed three investigators to seal by giving them clues, including two who intentionally went into the OW without enough.

On one occasion, Wilson was in the second area of the OW and failed his Personal Story when the sixth doom token showed up, causing him to lose all of his clue tokens. She just gave him five more, and he sealed.

This group won, so today she's investigating again. I'm experimenting at this point, so I decide not to give her clues when a gate opens and to give her three when her personal story passes and if the doom track reaches nine. I have not given clues to another investigator. If they lose them as a result of encounters or spending on checks, them's the breaks and an integral part of the game.

Unfortunately, Skids failed his ps (removed the last two tokens from the board, followed shortly thereafter by Wilson failing his ps again, losing both of his clues.

At this point (again, I'm experimenting), I give her the two clues from her ps that I had shorted her and gave her three (on a 1/2 basis) clues for the six open gates.

The reason I'm having trouble deciding what to do with her is that the game is taking the clues away, with a long build-up to get more, especially if there are five + open gates.

If she isn't in the game on these two occasions, the game is just plain over, so it's a matter of which overbalanced rule is more powerful, which hurts the flavor of the game itself.

I'll experiment with only taking away half the number of clues when Skids or Wilson fail their ps's.

Another thing I can do is not use personal stories if Skids/Wilson are the selected investigators; although, I'm reluctant to start being that selective and probably won't go that route.

Monsters moving directly in the way, bad die rolling, catastrophic encounters at the wrong time and clues drying up because they've either been collected or gates have taken them away is one thing. "All the clue tokens disappear, just 'cuz" just about ruins the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.