Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! Yeah, this seemingly simple game is making me feel pretty stupid right now! yuk I think my brain is full. I'm taking classes online AND buying a new house AND trying to sell our current house. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Okay...questions.

1. On the first turn, no one OWNS a horse, right? SO, on that first turn, does every player skip part 1 of the turn sequence? ("Take all actions, which apply, according to the 'horse features' on the horses a player owns.'")

2. Back to #1..."a player" means the player whose turn it IS, right?

3. The rules mention that you can choose to pass on your turn. If you do, do you pass everything INCLUDING the turn sequence? My assumption is that you DO the turn sequence, then skip the actual action.

I'm likely just overthinking it. Or maybe I shouldn't try to learn ANY new game with so much else going on! Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You are correct that everybody will skip the first step as no one owns any horses.

2) Player means the active player

3) I'm not sure yet why anybody would want to skip a turn yet, but you do skip all actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

For number 3: There was one occasion where three horses were cramped in the inside track (and the other lanes were only available to the two horses infront of ours), so skipping a turn avoided a pile-up. Well, that is what happened in our game the first time we played it.

I suppose that my explanation is based on a misinterpretation of the rules for our first game, if so: sorry

Good luck with the house hunting.
Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cooley
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to the rules it says the player may Pass and take "No Action", I believe referring to the 3rd Step of their turn "Take An Action" which would mean they still perform steps 1, 2 and 4 (Horse actions, rolling dice and draw a card respectively)

Gordon,
Curious to what you are referring to about a pile up and cramping on the inside track? Each horse has their own lane. There should be no conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Yes, Brent, I did say this was our first game so we started with seven horses and kept changing lanes in order to obstruct our rivals laugh We ended up getting stuck at one point so we skipped a turn each and ended up finishing, ironically, third and fourth and not last

It just shows how eager we were to get the game started without reading the rules thoroughly. It was, however, a hilariously joyful race..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help so far! Someone mentioned above starting with 7 horses. Did I miss something else? I thought you start with 10 horses, regardless of number of players. Did I err?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cooley
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
You start with all 10 horses. They each get their own lane. There is no blocking, you just go around in your own lane. All lanes are equal distance to the finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That's the way I read it. Looking forward to giving this a go on Sunday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Having played using the official rules, our "odd" version seemed more fun laugh Now we have to get down to being serious horse owners and 10 gee gees

Anyway, horses for courses (sorry, pun intended)

Kind regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your input! We played our first game today with 6 players and it was a BIG HIT!!! Some wanted to play again and some folks who missed the first game wanted to give it a try, so it ran again, this time with 5, I think!

It's a BLAST!!! Thanks again for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game tonight. It was pretty fun. One of the guys rolled on the track and knocked Slow Jenn, the number 4 horse, off of her spot so we ended up removing her from the game and re-rolling all the 4's because she "had a bum leg" - she was put of her misery after the race =(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.