Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this one for the first time tonight, and it got a good reaction.

Before the Build phase begins, each player draws 3 tiles at random. Choose 1 tile to keep for yourself, pass one tile to the player on your left, and one tile to the player on your right. Immediately place all of the tiles you received, anywhere on your ship.

These tiles do not have to connect with your starting tile, but they must be part of your ship. When the Build phase begins, you build around the already-placed tiles.

It was a simple variant to add in, but made for some funny moments, and added pressure in a few cases, where the player had a very specific connection configuration to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun idea to try with experienced players.

But even better maybe: You could also use it as a handicap for experienced players?!?
Maybe in a simplified matter, like "Experienced players first HAVE to uncover 3 (5?) Parts and immediately use them."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fairly abusive, given that passing a gun or thruster takes out not one but two squares on the grid. If a player gets more than one of these, the ship is fairly crippled from the start.

So yes, a good way to screw your neighbor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since the owner of the ship is the one that places the parts, he can easily place guns and engines in a way that will prevent using more than one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
This sounds fairly abusive, given that passing a gun or thruster takes out not one but two squares on the grid. If a player gets more than one of these, the ship is fairly crippled from the start.

So yes, a good way to screw your neighbor.

You obviously overread the part, where Jack stated that the parts could be placed (by the owner) anywhere on the ship and do not have to connect to your starting tile. Instead they get connected during the building phase (or otherwise probably discarded at usual cost before start).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This it true- you place all the tiles on your own ship, you are simply given tiles by other players, and forced to decide immediately where they will go. A much much more sadistic method would be allowing the other players to position those tiles on your behalf (and I would be okay with this, provided tiles were still placed legally (engines pointing the right way, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variation could be that instead of at the start you do this when the sand timer is turned over.

One player announces that the timer is out. Each player picks up 3 tiles and passes them as before. Keep 1, pass 1 left, and pass 1 right. The tiles go into your extra supply. Once all tiles are passed out then flip timer and continue. If a player has a tile in hand when announcement is made then this is one of the 3 tiles to be passed.

That could get evil. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
A much much more sadistic method would be allowing the other players to position those tiles on your behalf (and I would be okay with this, provided tiles were still placed legally (engines pointing the right way, etc).

Tried the "Handicap" Variant this time:
2 new players with no handicap
1 player who played once with 2 tiles handicap
1 player who played more often with 3 tiles handicap.

The other players drew the handicap tiles and placed them "not connected but legally".
We soon added the rule that you may not cut of whole parts of empty building places (which can often be easily done by one cleverly placed engine)
Also the players with handicap tiles had to wait with building until at least one other player had placed as many tiles as the waiting players handicap was.

The outcome was a much closer race than earlier when I played with new players without any handicap rules. We were all more or less crappy alike.
The first round was really smooth and expect for one or two meteor damage nothing bad happened.
Second round was harder and one of the new players didn't reach the goal because of slavery and all the others were ripped of by a late smuggler.
Third round was baaaad. Bad as in 3 hefty meteor cards very early followed by 2 combat zones. THEN came all the hard enemies.
No one made it to the finish line whistle

I think the experienced players had much fun with the extra difficulties although I'm thinking about some placment rules to stay fair.
(Guns and Motors not inside, no open ends facing to unbuildable spaces)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying the Design Committee so much that I'm now making special tiles that are only used for the DC. They are set aside from the general tiles, and you will draw from them at the start of each build, choosing one to keep and some to pass. It lets me add in some special new tiles as well, without watering down the general supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.