Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
edit:
This post has been expanded into a review of City of Guilds titled " City of Guilds - with 2 players. (Can go to 4 players)" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/425946

We have played this 5 times in the last few days. (2P) Its very enjoyable, the graphics are great on both the cards and the board and add considerably to the theme. And the theme fits the mechanics very well. And the theme is involving if you find the idea of getting control of medieval city as attractive as I do. I've paid for games that are not 1/4 as enjoyable as this game. I'd rather play this than Battle-line, Lost Cities, 2P Carcasonne, Citadels ... .How much of this is the thrill of the new I don't know but we will be finding out.

Oh yeah, my wife likes playing this game. She's lost 4 times in a row but wants to play again. And again. Unusual.

Also unusual is that I can't see why I am winning consistently. Could just be luck I suppose but I don't think so. There is a significant range of options available to each player on just about every turn so your choices pretty much determine the result. The powers and actions of the various guilds and the permutations of the guilds keep each round feeling fresh. The limited number of hands and the development and progression from "no gold and no influence" at the start of the game, to tussles for control of areas at the end also forces continual adjustments of strategy.

Ages: I am no expert in this. Perhaps an 8 year old could do play? But i am sure that +40 year olds can enjoy it.

Criticisms? Hmmmm.... As of July 2009 the rules need a tidy up. Nothing major, just minor clarifications to help new players keep on track. And the numerical symbols on the cards for the amount of gold to be paid is not clear enough for my liking. But 1 minute with a pen will fix that.

Overall: Great work Andy Oakey! And thanks very much for making this available PnP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Quick impressions

I liked the sound of this game because of the solo possibility, but I cannot find it in the UK. The only one that turns up is City and Guilds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I liked the sound of this game because of the solo possibility, but I cannot find it in the UK. The only one that turns up is City and Guilds :(

It is a print & play game. The files are here on the game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Hi Gordon, maybe its even better than you imagine.

Andy has released the files for this game so you can (must! ) print out the board and cards and use your own pieces and gold.

The links to the files are on the main page for this game.

I printed the board onto 2X2 full-sheet labels and stuck them onto light card. Though getting an office supply/stationers to print it in A3 would work too. I laminated mine.

The cards I also printed on to label sheets and then cut them out and stuck them onto the surface of playing cards. They look good and shuffle well. You'll need wide playing cards not the narrow ones though. These will last better if laser printed but even ink-jet if kept dry should last for 100+ games.

So far we use Go stones for the buildings and influence markers and plastic gold party coins for pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

WOW ! That is great
I will most certaintly print and play.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks

As you've noticed the rules are a work in progress. I'll keep updating them on my site and try to let everybody know when an update is available.

I'm still also working some an advanced variant. This will involve players having hidden agendas, with victory points awarded for controlling areas of the city and for successfully completing agendas.

I'll have a look at the card gold coin numbering issue, could just be a case of increasing the contrast (hopefully!)

Once again, thanks!
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded an image of the Docks card with improved contrast on the gold coin numbering. Hopefully this is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.