Subject: The $&(^&$^(# Good Guys Make Me Angry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
So... played a learning game. Lots of good stuff, but one really strange part that annoyed me.

In an event drawn at the beginning of the round, my opponent got one of the good guy units (in the backstory, all the players are bad guys, but they can find good guys left over from the war).

So apparently, the rule is this -- if my opponent loses a unit, and I've lost fewer units, he gets to deploy this good guy unit for free.

Naturally, this happened a few turns later in a nasty skirmish. I suffered some damage, but I took out a light infantry enemy. Thing is, my opponent immediately deploys a good guy heavy cavalry next turn.

This was an enormous swing for a "low luck" style game. For those who haven't played, a heavy cavalry unit kicks butt and is normally quite expensive -- it ain't easy to buy more units in this game.

And what should I have done, exactly? Made sure that I never killed one of his units without allowing one of mine to die first? Silly idea, but not a workable one even if it was practical.

This seems like an overcharged catch up mechanic. My opponent deliberately kamikazied an infantry for the express purpose of getting the cavalry. Am I missing something? Is the good guy unit limited somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danman wrote:
So... played a learning game. Lots of good stuff, but one really strange part that annoyed me.

In an event drawn at the beginning of the round, my opponent got one of the good guy units (in the backstory, all the players are bad guys, but they can find good guys left over from the war).

So apparently, the rule is this -- if my opponent loses a unit, and I've lost fewer units, he gets to deploy this good guy unit for free.

Naturally, this happened a few turns later in a nasty skirmish. I suffered some damage, but I took out a light infantry enemy. Thing is, my opponent immediately deploys a good guy heavy cavalry next turn.

This was an enormous swing for a "low luck" style game. For those who haven't played, a heavy cavalry unit kicks butt and is normally quite expensive -- it ain't easy to buy more units in this game.

And what should I have done, exactly? Made sure that I never killed one of his units without allowing one of mine to die first? Silly idea, but not a workable one even if it was practical.

This seems like an overcharged catch up mechanic. My opponent deliberately kamikazied an infantry for the express purpose of getting the cavalry. Am I missing something? Is the good guy unit limited somehow?

I'm just learning this one myself, but it looks like you got it right. I guess the caveats regarding indigenous units (they have to be put into play on a controlled Chaos Gate, can only be healed with a Healer event card, and are limited to one unit per player per game) were considered sufficient for balance.

Be sure to post any follow-up experiences with this rule. I'd be curious to hear about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.