Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

So I finally whipped out this game the other day and gave it a try. I have a few questions about corps and corps commanders, which I don't think I quite understand properly.

- A corps commander can't be "without a corps" Does this mean that the little metal piece can't be without one wooden bit to sit on, or that the little metal piece PLUS a wooden bit can't be without other wooden bits? In other words, what constitutes a corps commander: the metal bit or the metal bit plus a wooden piece under it?

- Related to this, is the wooden bit on which you place the metal piece a unit that can participate in fighting? Can it lead an attack or defense, and if so how do you flip it "face-up" with a metal bit on top of it?

- Can you move the metal piece onto another wooden bit within the same corps? Or is it permanently attached to that wooden piece? If it's permanently attached, and (therefore?) can't fight, one would assume that you'd always use a one-strength infantry under your metal pieces, right?

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
ilta wrote:
Hi there.

So I finally whipped out this game the other day and gave it a try. I have a few questions about corps and corps commanders, which I don't think I quite understand properly.

- A corps commander can't be "without a corps" Does this mean that the little metal piece can't be without one wooden bit to sit on, or that the little metal piece PLUS a wooden bit can't be without other wooden bits? In other words, what constitutes a corps commander: the metal bit or the metal bit plus a wooden piece under it?

The metal bit is the corps command and it must always be with at least one wooden block or it is eliminated. Wooden bits without a corps commander cannot be ordered with Corps Commands.

Quote:
- Related to this, is the wooden bit on which you place the metal piece a unit that can participate in fighting?

Yes.

Quote:
Can it lead an attack or defense, and if so how do you flip it "face-up" with a metal bit on top of it?

Yes, as long the rules allow it in the specific instance, any unit in a corps may lead an attack. To flip a unit face up, move the metal bit off to the side. The metal bit has no intrinsic combat value, it merely designates a group of units as a corps for rules purposes.

Quote:
Can you move the metal piece onto another wooden bit within the same corps?

The order of the wooden blocks within a corps is irrelevant. You can move whichever one you want. Typically, the metal bit rests on the foremost block to denote which units are in the corps. Units in front of a corps command (in the same approach) are typically considered to be detached units. It just helps with organization, though.

Quote:
Or is it permanently attached to that wooden piece?

No. It is not.

Quote:
If it's permanently attached, and (therefore?) can't fight, one would assume that you'd always use a one-strength infantry under your metal pieces, right?

Irrelevant.

The key to this game is not to assume anything that's not in the rules. Don't over think it. The metal stand is simply a way to designate a group of units that are attached to one another and function as a single unit for combat purposes. As units (wooden blocks) are peeled off this corps, they become detached and no longer part of the corps. Units may also be added to the corps (up to the maximum limit) using the appropriate order.

Hope that helps.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps a great deal. Thanks so much!

I suspected that this was how it was but got tripped up by the definition of "corps commander" outlined in the first question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.