Ghost Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Hard Level or Utter Frustration ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Has anyone beat this game on Hard level ?

I am not one to give up easily (infact, I am stubborn as a mule), but in all honesty, after trying it on Hard about eight times.....yep, I gave up angry

It is the equivalent of playing Kasparov (and in all modesty, I am a pretty good Chess player).

Any tactical suggestions...anything, p...l...e...a...s...e cry

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two threads with move-by-move accounts of wins at Hell Level:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/423725
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/369880

Hopefully you'll get some ideas. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Great 6.15 am here, will try and beat it later on this afternoon devil

Thanks, Sphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hard is "Nightmare"? or "Hell"?
In any case, yes, the game can be beaten at any level. You need experience, a bit of luck and of course some repeated attempts (i.e. as you may expect, your percentage of victory drops while you raise the difficulty).

Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard is probably nightmare, gotta love that they change terms between languages.
Anywho, I've only tried Nightmare once so far, and it went pretty well. Got killed off just before the final incarnation. Eight games isn't a lot though, we played nine before we even beat it on Initiation! :)
A few tips:
Minimize your die rolls. Unless you're the green monk (or blue with 2x ability) don't even try to exorcize ghosts if you need more than 1 pip on the dice. It's usually a wasted action. Get some more Tao Tokens first instead.
Try to put the weakest ghosts (1 or 2 resistance) in the corners, for an easy double take-out!
Change the Prayer token to black and just leave it there. Don't waste any more moves on it.
Use those Buddhas! Get them out there as fast as you can. They can help a looot when you need to get rid of nasty ghosts (like the black ones that blocks tao tokens, or the ones that steal a die). If it's a color you can't put on the Buddha straight away, head for the heavenly winds villager and move that ghost!
Qi are ment to be spent! Use them as the resource they are. Kill off nasty ghosts, and use the Qi+Tao+Ghost village to get your Qi back. Having just 1 Qi is a bad idea.
The best tip of all though is always try to get the best out of your monks special ability. If you're yellow; ALWAYS use the enfeeblement mantra or remember to draw a tao token. If you're blue, if you have the 2x ability use it in corners to kill two ghosts, or use a village tile that has nice double benefits (like pick up both buddhas, roll for 4 tao tokens, etc). If you're the red player with the move another character ability, always move one of them into the center square, even if nobody wants to be moved. From the center they have access to all other squares and ghosts, so you can't "destroy" their plan but you can be very helpful if something worse turns up before their turn again. And so on..

Good luck! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks Tor. Great tips.

Nightmare ! I think that would send me off the Arkham scale of insanity laugh

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Nightmare ! I think that would send me off the Arkham scale of insanity laugh

You realize that Hell is tougher than Nightmare, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but he's only on Hard.

edit: which is likely Normal in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The (unofficial) FAQ lists the levels as Initiation, Normal, Hard and Hell (under scoring), so that's why I thought it to mean hard=nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
The (unofficial) FAQ lists the levels as Initiation, Normal, Hard and Hell (under scoring), so that's why I thought it to mean hard=nightmare.

Hmmm, I'd expect a good FAQ to match the level names in the rulebook. Sounds like the one you're looking at should remain unofficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers given in it are direct quotes from the designer, so can't blame the FAQ ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.