Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to order a large PnP print from www.mimeo.com. They offer 50% off on first orders after signing up, so I can print color documents on high quality card stock for about .23c per page. I've been researching the best PnP titles to include in my print, and so far have about 65 pages of gaming gold ready to go.

My question has to do with the type of paper to use. My choice is between 1) glossy white paper (100lb), white card stock (100lb), or glossy white card stock (100lb). Is glossy the way to go for PnP games? What's the difference between glossy white paper and glossy white card stock if both are 100lb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100lb paper stock and 100lb cover stock are two different things. They are not the same thickness, density, weight or size.

It doesn't make any sense unless you know what it means. Then it makes sense, but you wished they wouldn't use such a stupid system.

The card stock would be about twice as thick and feel like a thin playing card. A postcard or baseball card are good examples.

Off the top of my head I think 100lb text paper stock is around 150gsm and 100lb cover/card stock is around 275gsm.

Glossy varies a lot on the printer. It might just be a semi-gloss sheen or it could be a thick "plasticy" coating. Imagine a movie poster or photo. Those are usually glossy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
100lb paper stock and 100lb cover stock are two different things. They are not the same thickness, density, weight or size.

It doesn't make any sense unless you know what it means. Then it makes sense, but you wished they wouldn't use such a stupid system.

The card stock would be about twice as thick and feel like a thin playing card. A postcard or baseball card are good examples.

Off the top of my head I think 100lb text paper stock is around 150gsm and 100lb cover/card stock is around 275gsm.

Glossy varies a lot on the printer. It might just be a semi-gloss sheen or it could be a thick "plasticy" coating. Imagine a movie poster or photo. Those are usually glossy.

So what's the best option for printing PnP games? I am tending towards the card stock for durability, but not sure whether glossy is the right option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
you'll get much brighter colors with a glossy cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with glossy card stock. That way you won't have to worry about lamination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Glossy white card stock it is. Will be tough to cut out, but I am printing out some fun games to try! So far my games include DoD, Free Trader, ZimP, Bindle Rails, Airborne In My Pocket, and Air Traffic Controller. It's out 100 pages, and will cost about $25 total. Thanks for all the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.