New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
With fewer players it doesn't seem like we'll ever see night occur. Are we missing out on paragraphs that will never come up because of that? Is there anything inherently more "difficult" about the later time of day encounters that would prevent us from shortening the time frame, or even starting the game at a different time of day?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently played a game where we divided the encounter deck into thirds and made each a part of the day. If I recall, the game was still won a few turns into midday so even then we never got to see the night. I, too am starting to wonder if we shouldn't just pick a time of day to start at and continue on from there.

Almost makes me wish the time of day was a die roll at the start of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Ross
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same issue came up in our two player game last night.

From now on, I think we'll change the time of day based on the story/destiny track... something like 5+ destiny changes the deck to noon and 10+ destiny changes the deck to evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been dividing the deck in half (one becoming the night deck) and then dividing the remaining half-deck in half yet again (creating the morning and day decks).

I have also considered doing something along the lines of making a small deck of, say 3 to 5 cards per player, which acts as the morning. Once depleted, repeat and create another small deck for midday. Repeating as necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparatus wrote:
We recently played a game where we divided the encounter deck into thirds and made each a part of the day. If I recall, the game was still won a few turns into midday so even then we never got to see the night. I, too am starting to wonder if we shouldn't just pick a time of day to start at and continue on from there.

I like this idea! We have only played one game with 3 players so far, but we played for quite a while and still had a small stack left in the encounter deck before we even got out of morning.

I like the idea of dividing the entire deck in 1/3rds instead of 3-5 cards and putting the tokens (noon/night) on top of each deck respectively so you remember to use those paragraphs.

After the first deck (morning) has run out, go to noon, then night, rinse/repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played it two different ways, the first is to just pick one of the times of day to play in and stick with it the full game, the other is to divide the deck up into thirds and change every time one is depleted. They both work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! Some great suggestions here.

So there's no real "difficulty" difference between the encounter matrices at the different times of day? It's purely variety?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to suggest another variant, where the time of day is shifted every round. So every time it's player X's turn (where X is the player who went first), you shift the time of day. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it would be a great way to ensure an almost-even spread across all times of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparatus wrote:

I don't see why you couldn't use the +/- die for this. When you draw an encounter card that requires a time of day, simply roll the +/- die.

Blank = Noon
+ = Night
- = Morning

Any reason why this wouldn't work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Apparatus wrote:

I don't see why you couldn't use the +/- die for this. When you draw an encounter card that requires a time of day, simply roll the +/- die.

Blank = Noon
+ = Night
- = Morning

I think that's a great idea myself. I'm going to try it next game for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well! This seems like an easy way... also, (since I only played it twice now), does the "Day/time" marker really matter in other events? Or is it just evident in the Character/Encounters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btw- my second game, we divided the deck into 3rds (I think giving Noon an extra card), we still never saw "Night". Was this concept in the First edition (prob not I guess)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diane, the more I think about this the more sense that it makes......you are a genius. You should get a job in game development.

Disclaimer:
Unless of course the original designer wanted very few night encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
I'd also like to suggest another variant, where the time of day is shifted every round. So every time it's player X's turn (where X is the player who went first), you shift the time of day. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it would be a great way to ensure an almost-even spread across all times of day.

This was suggested and it added just a little too much additional maintenance to the game.

My Gf and I stumbled on a fun variant:

Make the encounter time equal the same as the time you start playing and change it either as the day changes, or when you cycle the deck

We all liked the flavour it added... even if subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
spacemanc wrote:
Wilikai wrote:

This was suggested and it added just a little too much additional maintenance to the game.

My Gf and I stumbled on a fun variant:

Make the encounter time equal the same as the time you start playing and change it either as the day changes, or when you cycle the deck

We all liked the flavour it added... even if subtle.

Are you ever likely to start playing before noon? Maybe that's just a problem I'd have, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
pdclose wrote:
Apparatus wrote:

Blank = Noon
+ = Night
- = Morning

This seems to make the most sense. After all, you aren't travelling around Europe, Asia, Arabia, and India all in a day. If you happen to be visiting Antioch and randomly encounter a Disguised Thief, it might randomly happen during the morning, noon, or night you spend there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, even with four players, we didn't get through the entire encounter deck, so it seems like noon will never happen and night will REALLY REALLY never happen. Love the game, but it's very peculiar that this could not come up in playtesting, 'cause it seems blatantly off. I like Diane's solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than having each player roll to see the time of day, just keep track of who the "start" player is and have the time of day cycle on their turn. That way you cycle more often but don't need to add in yet another die roll, plus every player gets a full turn in the same day cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
Deliverator wrote:
Rather than having each player roll to see the time of day, just keep track of who the "start" player is and have the time of day cycle on their turn. That way you cycle more often but don't need to add in yet another die roll, plus every player gets a full turn in the same day cycle.
This is the method we have decided to always keep. In our last game I was the start player so I just moved the morning token to the bottom of the token stack at the beginning of my 2nd turn and we then had a round as mid-day followed by a round of night. Rinse/repeat,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brychel
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparatus wrote:
Deliverator wrote:
This is the method we have decided to always keep. In our last game I was the start player so I just moved the morning token to the bottom of the token stack at the beginning of my 2nd turn and we then had a round as mid-day followed by a round of night. Rinse/repeat,

This is what we do it works great. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Does anyone know if the encounters get "harder," or perhaps more rewarding to help the game wind up, or anything? That could effect how we choose to handle this.

We decided simply to play morning games for a while, then we'll play noon games. A few weeks later we'll play evening games.

This only affects character encounters anyway, not terrain or city.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since time of day really only matters when a character encounter is drawn, we simply rotate the time of day after resolving said encounter. So sometimes it changes fairly frequently, other times not so often. It's just the easiest method that we'll actually remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Does anyone know if the encounters get "harder," or perhaps more rewarding to help the game wind up, or anything?

I noticed the victory condition for the solo variant posted on the Zman site listed the following notation:

Quote:
(If you believe yourself to be an expert game player, increase the number of points in the formula or start with the Deck marker in "Night".)

This would lead me to believe that night is generally more difficult encounters than morning or day but I'm guessing that difficulty is based on the idea that you need more skill options to raise have a decent rate of success in those encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed night was harder too and so we roll a die before a turn and it applies to everyone for that entire turn.

I made it a 10 sided die

1-4- Morning
5-7 Noon
8-9 Night
10- Roll Again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
I assumed night was harder too and so we roll a die before a turn and it applies to everyone for that entire turn.

I would say that Z-Man games considers night to be harder, too, from this quote (in their Solo Variant download):
Z-Man wrote:
(If you believe yourself to be an expert game player, increase the number of points in the formula or start with the Deck marker in "Night".)

But I wonder if there is a reason you're supposed to have all morning encounters, then noon, then night. Even that doesn't flow with the theme and mechanics (you're surely not doing all this travel and encountering before noon), I wonder if the game plays better if you stick with chunks of time, rather than changing it around every turn.

So, what if you just played morning until someone says they have reached at least half of one of their two victory point conditions, then switch to noon? Then whenever all other players say they are at least half-way to victory in either story or destiny points, move on to night. I wonder if the condition for moving to night should be that everyone is at least halfway there for one condition and at least one player is at least halfway there for both conditions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.