Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I am making a crayon-rail game that is set in the future on a planet that humans have recently colonized.

Ideally, the name of the planet would be the title of the game. It doesn't necessarily have to be.

Does anyone have a great name for the first foreign planet that humans discover and colonize?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Age of Steam Expansion: Mars – Global Surveyor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the primary crayon color? You could name it "[planet name] and the Cyan Express" or "Planet Wax in the Age of Mag-lev"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Crayon Transways on Mars?

Mars Transways: the crayon edition?

More interestingly say future humans found a future use for the 'canals' on Mars for transportation. Hence,: Mars Canalways Limited

In the 1960's Russians came up with an idea to put a nuclear train on Mars for exploration, called TMK-E. This could be TMK-C (for colonization)...with a cool 60's retro, Russian, alternate universe theme ...

...give more specifics and I can provide more ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should clarify - the 'crayon-rail' part of the game is less about crayons and rails (neither of which are in the game), and more about the overall game concept and mechanics. It's also not on Mars.

The planet is a psuedo-Earth, basically that humans found another world practically just like this one, and now we're colonizing.

This is very much NOT a theme-driven game, the theme was basically tacked on because it made the most sense.

However, I like the 60's Soviet theme (in fact anything that smacks of Cold War to me is pretty damn cool), so I'll be considering that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McElveen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Mmmmmm..... Beer. Glug glug glug....
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Thematically, I am making a crayon-rail game that is set in the future on a planet that humans have recently colonized.

Ideally, the name of the planet would be the title of the game. It doesn't necessarily have to be.

Does anyone have a great name for the first foreign planet that humans discover and colonize?

I'd expect humanity to give the new planet some sort of idealistic name, ie 'Hope' or 'Charity', and then proceed to build a dystopian society.

But why not incorporate the theme of the game into the planet name? Like if it is an economic game, call the planet Comercia or Mercado or Bourse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickmcelveen wrote:
I'd expect humanity to give the new planet some sort of idealistic name, ie 'Hope' or 'Charity', and then proceed to build a dystopian society.

But why not incorporate the theme of the game into the planet name? Like if it is an economic game, call the planet Comercia or Mercado or Bourse...
The game mechanics suggest a super-capitalist economy with profit-sharing and a benign social policy. It's really paradoxical, but since when did great games make complete thematic sense? I like the vagueness and hypocrisy of terms that you suggest.

I have to admit, I design abstractly and then work from there. As I said before the theme is colonizing a planet in outer space...and that's about as far as it goes. The best idea combining theme and name would be "Roadworld" or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "Trace for the Galaxy." (ouch) gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
How about "Urth"? It gives a suggestion that this is familiar, but different, and also hints at a science-fiction setting (especially for Gene Wolfe fans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruthless Railway/Roads
Roads of *Planet Name* - ie Terra Nouveau
Liberation Highways - for a the hopeful/dystopian theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brackman
United States
S. Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra is always a popular name choice in SF writing.
Terra Nova- New Earth
Terra Nocturna- Night/Dark Earth
Terra Nullius- Earth belonging to no one
Terra Tractus- Earth Trail

Please excuse my Latin

Another choice is the Star Trek way of naming planets, star name with a number designating the order from the sun, Siruis II being the second planet from the star Siruis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:

I say Crayongenics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the object/victory conditions of the game?

Some names that keep it basic:

Colony
Space Colony
New Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
metzgerism wrote:

I say Crayongenics.

I was just thinking "Cray-olony"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Genesis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
How about "Trace for the Galaxy." (ouch) gulp

Casey for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Future Tracks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
super_d wrote:

I was just thinking "Cray-olony"

Let's settle it for Craylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We may name the planet after the Greek goddess personifying the Earth: Gaia.

Terra is the roman name for this goddess.

It also fits our current naming scheme of naming planets after gods and goddesses from mythology. Jupiter, mars, etc...

I'm really interested in seeing this game, it sounds like fun. This may be the kick in the butt I need to make a prototype of my non-random crayon rail strategic wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celso Távora
Brazil
Cruzeiro Novo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expedition: Nova Terra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that! Good name!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tevacircus wrote:
What is the object/victory conditions of the game?
There's a pretty basic victory-point collection system that dictates scoring. I still ultimately am figuring out the victory conditions - the game very well may end abruptly and randomly. This is something that playtesting will figure out (I will be trying multiple methods).

unixrevolution wrote:
We may name the planet after the Greek goddess personifying the Earth: Gaia.

Terra is the roman name for this goddess.

It also fits our current naming scheme of naming planets after gods and goddesses from mythology. Jupiter, mars, etc...

I'm really interested in seeing this game, it sounds like fun. This may be the kick in the butt I need to make a prototype of my non-random crayon rail strategic wargame.
Good to see some interest - although I can tell you that this game is probably NOT going to resemble yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,

This sounds interesting. I admit that I had to do a little quick research to figure out what "Crayon-rail" games were. The only game I ever played that included a crayon was "Black box"!

Name: "New Destiny". I think this covers both the broader theme of a new planet and possibilities and the more individual aspect of the player/character potentially winning the game (getting to be the rich guy!).

Look forward to learning more.

Onward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.