Condottiere» Forums » Rules

Subject: Uh no one is throwing away their hands?!? Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are VERY unclear about this... all it says is that you don't have to discard your hand if you don't want to even if you don't have a mercenary in it. Well, I had a game today with a new player who did not want to throw his hand away, even when he didn't have any merc cards... and it started to cause problems when someone else without merc cards suddenly emulated him and also didn't want to throw away her hand.

The rules state that you only re-shuffle and re-deal cards when ONE person is left without cards, and that last person can keep 2 cards.

So what the hell do you do if 2 (and at one point THREE of the four players - mind you, not me) are refusing to discard and none of them have merc cards?!?

Is there an official ruling somewhere - I was hoping that it was something like this: If someone is still holding onto a hand with no merc cards, and a 2nd person finishes a battle and has no merc cards (and player 3/4 already have already discarded to 0 cards), they must BOTH discard their remaining cards and re-shuffle/re-deal to everyone.

So what do I do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i haven't looked at the rules in a while.

I think I would tell whoever's turn it was to simply pick a province to fight over, and then play a card.

If that isn't working, then make sure that you have a merc card left over. And when it's your turn to pick a province, pick one that they own. They can't defend it unless they have a bishop and they can't have many of those. So keep doing that to each player. Either you will win very quickly or they will see the futility of what they are doing.

I didn't know you could keep two cards. If that rule wasn't there, I'd bet they would throw their hands away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gironha wrote:
I didn't know you could keep two cards. If that rule wasn't there, I'd bet they would throw their hands away.

It was one of the changes made by FFG, and I agree: without it, this doesn't happen. I wouldn't use this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just re-read the rules. I did not find anywhere where the last person can keep two cards. I think you mis-read that. A player gets two extra cards for each city they own.

If players cannot keep any cards they would have no reason to keep their hand. Maybe they don't want to discard because they don't want to play.

Maybe you are playing something else incorrectly and it somehow makes sense for them to keep cards.

It does say on the reshuffle that ALL 96 cards are reshuffled.

Also, there is an optional rule that allows for the attacking of provinces that are already owned. This would solve your problem as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
gironha wrote:

It was one of the changes made by FFG, and I agree: without it, this doesn't happen. I wouldn't use this rule.

Interesting. But the rule to attack cities that are owned by other players is optional in the original game. So if that rule was played, this problem could be fixed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gironha wrote:
I just re-read the rules. I did not find anywhere where the last person can keep two cards. I think you mis-read that.

You're looking at the first or second edition, then. FFG did a third edition of the game, with a bunch of changes to the cards & rules, including the rule about the last person with cards getting to keep two of them, which introduces the problem the OP is having.

Earlier threads on this:
Stalemate?
discard cards from hand
Stalemate?
What is your house rule for the "Stalemate"?
Stalemate problem, would this work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
How about alternate rules for card drawing? We prefer the Iliad variant, where after every battle you draw certain amount of cards.
It can be a flat three card draw /
or three plus as many connected provinces you have /
or three plus as many connected provinces you have, but you have to discard to three.

Worked for us well with any number of players, and eliminates the stalemate problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. It's a really annoying thing lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See the FAQ.
We all are trying to make a complete set of rules.
The games 'works' for us now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.