Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a game designer but what about this for an idea:

With B-17 and B-29 one could say this is somewhat of a game system;the other night I was watching the movie Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to stop worrying about the bomb.

What a great game using this system; "the B-52 mission to nuke Russia"!!! You could even add a deck of cards to randomly put in the events such as the Air Force giving the Russians your flightplan to stop you. Another event could be the Army entering the Air Force base early enough to get the return codes thus ending the game without a nuke being dropped; although the game would be much more fun with a successful nuke mission.

The only negative thing I would see with this is there wouldn't be much of a campaign game. You would just have to nuke a different target in a different game that could be easier or harder.

Would this be politically correct? "Hell no, not even close". Fun? You bet, and megatons of it! I bet it would sell out in Russia.

Anyways, this is quite a system with potential. How many air warfare games deal with the bombers? It seems the vast majority deal with the fighters. Too bad since the whole point IS the bombers.

With the popularity of the World at War system, I think there are plenty of flyers out there just waiting to fly such a mission. Think about it...

By the way, I love B-17! It's a great game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go and find a copy of 'Flight of the Old Dog' then go to Victorypointgames.com and read the game design articles and submit. I was thinking that we need a quicker play Bomber game the other day. I was thinking more along the lines of Viet Nam Iron Hand missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Flight of the Old Dog"??? Is that a book "Dr Strangelove" was based off?

Going to Victory Point games is a good idea.

I guess I could watch the movie again, take notes of the elements of attempting (in the movie) the triggering of the doomsday device. That would be the victory condition. This game would of course have to be solitaire.

When I watched that mission in the movie, I couldn't help but think of how great this would fit in a B-17 type game.

Does anyone know what I'm refering to as far as the mission in the movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry for the delay
Flight of the Old Dog was a book from the late 80's I think, I read it in 89'ish. It's about a Buff that is re-fit with 'stealth' components. It has a V-tail instead of the 4 story tall rudder, and a new ECM package that reduced it's cross section from the size of Rhode Island down to a fighter size or something. There is a old flight sim for that that I am sure is abandonware by now
http://www.amazon.com/Megafortress-PC/dp/B0007OWD2W?tag=arti...
http://www.squakenet.com/abandonwarering/site.asp?idgame=611...://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?gid=MTEwOQ==
Let's see what you can do. Maybe I can help with graphics etc. I am not a great artist but I can do a few things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some of my ideas and what I believe I have to do:

-I think submitting this to Victory Point is a good idea.
-I believe the first thing I have to do is obtain permission from the people who have the copyrights to "Dr Strangelove". I'll look them up and propose this. Until that happens, I suppose nothing else can.
-The game will be similar to B-17 in that it will be solitaire.
-I want to incorporate a deck of cards into the game for events happening in random order.
-If I get copyright permission, I'll create a page for this game.
-I've thought thru the campaign game (of what) and the concept will be this:

In the movie a Bomber Wing (I think) receives the order to deliver an nuclear attack. 3 planes are shot down the rest get a sucessful recall order. One plane delivers the attack and sets off the doomsday device pretty much ending the movie.

In the game, you would fly the Wing one plane at a time, until you successfully set off the doomsday device by dropping your nukes. If you don't set off the device, you lose in game terms.

Or you could just fly a single mission and see what happens. Either way being self-destructive would never be so much fun.

The cards would add things in like, the Airforce giving away your flight plan. Nukes being fired at you and so on. I gotta think of a way of coming up with a recall order in the game mechanics. I'm talking about the device that sends the code that has to be verified (so on and so on).

Thats what I have.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
I gotta think of a way of coming up with a recall order in the game mechanics. Mike

Maybe like the Random Events chart, you have to roll a 12 then roll to see how the recall notice is handled. Or maybe have a second desk with alternate reactions to the Recall.

I also like the idea of flying a wing and seeing who is left. Maybe fly one plane at a time and assume they all have similar events till one goes down or returns to base. Then take over the next plane. Or you could fly one plane but do separate Event draws for each remaining plane. There are many possibilities here.

Just some random thoughts,

Jim P cool

PS have to say at first I thought this was a lame idea, but after seeing your stated ideas, it sound good.

Good luck! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.