Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody owns this, please consider writing a review. I would like to see what you think of this game. I would especially like to know if you think a 6 year old could play who is familiar with various games like Chateau Roquefort, Gulo Gulo, Sorry Sliders, Pick Picnic and Rat-a-tat-cat. I've been waiting to hear about the game and would like to have more than 1 review to go off of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was my review not convincing enough cry

I do think a smart 6 year old could play it with some help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it once, but it was several months ago, so I'm not really in a position to review it just yet.

Unless
Quote:
I seem to remember it being quite fun - It was enjoyed by the five of us
counts?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have patience. It would just be reaching people's hands here in the US. There should be some more reviews in a couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It is still on my Wish List. I, too, am waiting to read more reviews before making my mind up....buy or not buy ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j. m. s.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know people having played it with young children and it worked. So, sure it is possible for a 6 year old child to play - but you have to help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is the new Stone Age! devil Meaning a game that everyone enjoys while they are playing even if they are losing.

Seriously, it is a brilliant game. My friend who notoriously despises eurogames surprised us all by declaring he wanted to play again immediately. I think what he appreciated was a suitable amount of player interaction and no extra goods to clutter the equations. Also all the past present, and endgame points are spelled out at a glance of the game, so it really comes down to the two inverse choices of action number vs. action value and instant vs. delayed VP gratification. He also said its like the Cranium of strategy games because it employs so many varied mechanics, something that opened my wallet in Plank time. I also like how it scales so elegantly by adding and removing action dice.

The game is very straightforward. You are exploring the Dark Continent for your Queen Victoria and whoever places the most huts (the ones from Taluva) in the most strategic pattern according to the nature of the grid and the luck of what choices the dice allow. To do this you need money - Pounds Sterling(Lbs.) - more and more each round, which you can get in two ways. You can also take a card which delays action for a stronger action(s) later. The game ends after 10 (or 11) rounds and after you figure out final points (this is my favorite part) you see which deadbeat(s) doesn't love the queen (has donated the least to their lockbox) is eliminated and then the leader in VP is declared winner. So it is a fairly forgiving system.

Gah, enough vagueness. Here is the game naked.

Each player starts out with 3 coins, an empty donation box, and about a dozen huts.
The active player rolls 2x #players dice and organizes them in ascending numerical groups. Then they start the round of each player choosing a single die to perform one of four actions until either there are no more dice or no one can select because there are no available numbers above their previous choice. This dice mechanic is the heart of Livingstone, it is the player interaction of blocking hut placements or even whole turns and also the action value/number decision.

Now what you can do with that die:
1You can draw a card. This is delaying action to get a rulebreaking action later or just a jolt of lbs. or VP. And considering you can play as many cards on your turn as you like I think they are definitely worth it, but only if you don't need that particular face value for one of the next three reasons.
2You can gain Lbs. equal to the face value, a certain, but limited income.
3You can dig in the mine and pull a number of stones equal to the face value. This is one of the more exciting aspects of the game as there is an increasing (from 1/60) chance of everything being pulled going back in the bag. So this is the risky money option because half of the stones are worthless, and even in the first game a couple of people were unlucky enough to pull a few of the most valuable gems only to cause a cave-in and have to put it all back.
4You can also place a hut on the board. This is absolutely crucial to winning. The tricky balance here is that the face value of the die you pick is the amount of VP you score at the end of that round and also the row you place in on the board, but at the end of the game the player(s) with the most huts in each row gets a bonus in inverse proportion. Thusly, the player who scored the most 6 pt. huts during the game gets only 2 more, but the person who placed the most 1 pt. huts gets 12 pts.

This seems simple at first, but it becomes tough to play key huts when you run out of Lbs. at just the wrong time. Especially when you are hastily donating to the Queen to keep up with other players. In the next game I saw two players attempt to save all their money for expansion an donate everything at the end. While I can see how this makes sense as one of these players was the leader by a substantial margin, it was ultimately the other player pursuing the strategy that saved him by being able to only donate 7 lbs. on the last turn to his 9. Every one else had accumulated at least 12. So basically if you're going to do that you want to donate on at least the last three turns.
There is also a sneaky card that moves the round counter one space backward so that you score the previous round again (with any new additions) and move on to the original column to finish and score it. A clever and lucky player can score 24 pts. with only 3 huts and if early in the game for quite cheap.

Great fun. Any media that evokes the feeling to experience it again immediately has more than satisfied already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now Jordan, go post this review in the review section so you get the GG you deserve! (and so people can find it better in the future)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I just did. But then I remembered something I left out:

My one gripe about the game is that as most people add money to their donation box gradually towards the end of the 5p game there is a shortage of 1 Lb. tokens. So either more 1 Lb. tokens are needed or people can save to put higher denominations in. But that can be tricky when you're just barely scraping by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan great description of the game.

I have played it 5 times,3 times with children, one a very bright six year old. Great fun - they like the Thebes like gem bag and the progression along the river. I have played it twice with adult 'gamers' and not so good - the Gem bag was seen as too random and the card ability to move back a column too powerful and unbalanced. I'd play it with youngsters again, but will not take it to my local games club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, do those same folks hate Thebes? (I'm guessing yes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I have never played Thebes with these people but i imagine they would not like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking this game has a "Thebes test", if you can enjoy Thebes, you'll enjoy Livingstone.

Now, I haven't played it yet, but I'm thinking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I'm thinking this game has a "Thebes test", if you can enjoy Thebes, you'll enjoy Livingstone.

Thebes achieves a difficult task. It puts a ton of luck into the game, but does so in such a way that the game is tolerable to people who ordinarily don't like so much luck. Part of the trick is the strong sense of theme, but a lot of it is based on the fact that the game is so well put together.

If Livingstone can do the same, it'll deserve a lot of praise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.