Popular Tags: [View All]
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam good. You buy Steam. Steam cure all sick and money problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you enjoy Railroad Tycoon enough to buy a game that is somewhat similar in terms of rules and scope? If you don't like Railroad Tycoon, is it because of flaws that Steam might have addressed for you? I'd say that thinking along those sort of lines might help you make up your mind; if you absolutely hated RRT, for example, you'd probably not enjoy Steam.

Most of the other games are different enough that liking - or disliking - some of them won't actually provide much evidence on which to found (or rule out) a purchase of Steam.

But yes, Steam will indeed bring about world peace and the elimination of all communicable diseases, so you are under a moral obligation to purchase a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the basic version in the Steam game is a little more mild and new gamer freindly, but I think Tycoon does a great job at that already. If you want to take it to the next step so to speak,then I would say the advanced verion in the Steam game would do this. But then again if you went with the advanced version in Steam why wouldn't you buy Age of Steam? But that's a different thread for a different day.

But, Steam has been known to cure the H1N1 (swine flu) virus, you should also consider that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofthegrill wrote:
But then again if you went with the advanced version in Steam why wouldn't you buy Age of Steam?

Because it doesn't seem to be available in most places right now? I see most places think they'll have it in in August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
kingofthegrill wrote:
But then again if you went with the advanced version in Steam why wouldn't you buy Age of Steam?

Without getting into the politics of it all... Steam has much better production, and is 20 to 25% cheaper. And regardless if you yourself are inclined towards the advanced version, the basic version is nice to have for easing new players into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jonny5 wrote:
Without getting into the politics of it all... Steam has much better production, and is 20 to 25% cheaper. And regardless if you yourself are inclined towards the advanced version, the basic version is nice to have for easing new players into the game.

I question the value of the production differences. The art is certainly different between the two, with neither to my taste, but Age of Steam is closer to what I like. Steam comes with 2 maps and Age of Steam comes with 3 maps and thus covers a larger player-range. Steam has all-wood bits. Age of Steam uses a mix of wood and plastic bits. Steam is starting to get its own expansions, but so far they are all shared with Age of Steam (they'll play with both). Age of Steam is having new expansions (such as the Steam Brother's new maps) regularly released, and has an enormous back-catalogue of previously-released maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have Age of Steam I'd definitely suggest you get a copy of Steam. It would make a great addition to your (already) nice railroad game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Some stuff I like re: Steam's production values --
- much improved rule-book
- wooden player tokens instead of plastic trains
- all on-board supplies and game-tracks (compared with 2 full-page plain-paper displays in AoS)
- all dedicated town tiles (no 'town markers')
- sturdy, clear action cards for new players
- modern graphic design (map)
- crisper, more distinct colors (map cities)
- smoother game mechanics (less fiddly)
- extra sets of player tokens & cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofthegrill wrote:

Don't go there. Just don't. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.