15 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Similar Games like Glory to Rome, not in terms of mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Kuan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1st thing 1st, Glory to Rome is awesome!

Being a newbie in boardgaming hobby, I'm wondering if there's any other similar titles like GtR.

I don't mean game mechanics. I meant the following:
1. Deep in strategy.
2. No optimal/sure-win strategy.
3. High replay value.
4. Great player interaction.
5. Lots of different combos to be discovered.
6. Feel differently each time you play.
7. Helluva FUN!

Some games I can think of but fail shorts in comparison are as follow: (Just personal opinion.)

Dominion
Fits #5, #6 and partly #7 above. But strategy is not deep enough, a few optimal strategies had been found, therefore replay value declines rapidly as soon as you find them. Furthermore there's not much player interaction except "Do you have moat?"

Puerto Rico
Fits #1, #3, #5 above. But optimal strategies had also been found, player interaction is subtle, and serious! When playing with same crowd with roughly same skill level, the game becomes repetitive... It's fun, but not nearly at the same level of the fun I had in GtR.

I haven't play Agricola, but I suspect some people would suggest it. : )

I'm kind of sad that ever since I started playing GtR, my interest in other board games had dropped significantly. After 30 games of GtR, I still see no signs of getting tired of it.

So, please enlighten/help me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is the obvious suggestion. It fits 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 to a tee. The one problem you may have is with player interaction. It's more subtle than in Glory to Rome, but it is definitely there if you're prepared to look for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ....

I guess Dominion: Intrigue probably hits #2, and possibly a little bit of #3 and #4 as well, on top of the #5,#6,#7 of the base game.

Le Havre hits #1, #2, #3, #5, #7, with the others to a lesser extent.

Small World hits #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, with a little #6 and a bit of #1.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have said that Agricola ticked all of the boxes. It's been years since I played la Citta, but from what I remember it would be a good fit with the criteria of "similar in scope to, but different from Glory".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try Liberté, it fits #1, #2, #3, #4, and #6. The other numbers are subjective and while I enjoy Liberté and feel it meets all seven of the comments, but I'm only one man.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers Of Catan takes care of #2, #4, and #6.

On a sidenote, I'd like to think we can get in #5 without having to resort to card games.

Age Of Empires III has got #1, #2, #3, #4 (even before you use soldiers to kill opponents pieces), #5 (might be pressing it, as there arent' THAT many buildings push come to shove), #6, and #7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
( Ooh, ooh! Pick me, pick me!)

I'd suggest giving Roma (or its soon-to-be-released successor [thing=30683][/thing]) a shot. I'm not sure about [thing=30683][/thing] (since I've never played it), but I contend that Roma fits all seven of your requirements.

Roma has a similar theme to Glory to Rome (in that they're both about ancient Rome), but its mechanics are extremely different.

Like in Glory to Rome, Roma lets you employ cards of different powers, but unlike any other game I've seen, which powers you use depend on your rolls of the dice.

So Roma does depend a bit on luck, but you also need to use a good strategy so that luck is more likely to fall in your favor. (Of course, the same could be said for many other games.) Good card combinations can increase your chances of carrying out your plans.

Give Roma a shot; I think you'll like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Citadel ?

Ivanhoe ?

Both cgs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're criteria are exactly why I like my favorite game, Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage so much. It's fairly different from the games you've rated (It's two-player, takes 3-4 hours to play, and has roughly twice as many rules as Glory to Rome), but Glory to Rome is one of my favorite games, and your other game ratings agree with mine a lot, so you might like it. Most war games I've played miss out on your criteria 5 and 6, and often on 2 and 7, but Hannibal gets full marks all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kuan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for sharing your ideas..
BGGers are really the best!

I think it is DIFFICULT to find other games that can scratch similar itch like the way GtR does.

Now only if I can find time to test play all these games heheee~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Kuan wrote:
Thank you all for sharing your ideas..
BGGers are really the best!

I think it is DIFFICULT to find other games that can scratch similar itch like the way GtR does.

Now only if I can find time to test play all these games heheee~

Settlers Of Catan, take your pick....
for PC...
Sea3d
on BSW.com
on PlayCatan.com
PlayCatan.com's "local version" that's installed on a PC
.... and many others I can't think up of

Citadels on BSW.com
Dominion on BSW.com
Dominion: Intrigue can be previewed (5 cards) on BSW.com

You can download the version of Agricola (flash version) that let's you play solo games

RftG on vassal.com module

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Note that the cards in the VASSAL module for Race for the Galaxy are in French. Probably not a big deal if you are already familiar with the cards (or with French).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Note that the cards in the VASSAL module for Race for the Galaxy are in French. Probably not a big deal if you are already familiar with the cards (or with French).
Another important thing.... the game is NOT automated. You need to go through with some of the mechanics yourself (IIRC, placing a card underneath a windfall world), nor are the rules enforced for you, so you'll need to remember to grab 2 cards if you settled and choose Settle, + have Terraforming Robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is the obvious suggestion. It fits 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 to a tee. The one problem you may have is with player interaction. It's more subtle than in Glory to Rome, but it is definitely there if you're prepared to look for it.

Amazing game. Make sure you a get copy and its expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it enough to be certain,
but early indication are that Cuba might hit all seven criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.