Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question to my poll: Who is your favourite reviewer here on BGG?

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tidwell
United States
Durango
COLORADO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like Endersgame's reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate The Dice Tower reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I go for the reviews by the average users instead of the people I know are being sent free copies of stuff and I tend to read several reviews before making a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I go for the reviews by the average users instead of the people I know are being sent free copies of stuff and I tend to read several reviews before making a decision.

How do you know when someone is getting free copies of stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Well, I know Tom Vassal does and it's usually easy to guess a few of the others. To be fair, I can never be 100% certain, that's why I read a lot of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whomever agrees with me.

And maybe Tom Vasel.
Or Ben Lott.
Or Scott Nicholson
Or Pete Belli
Or Ender Wiggins

Or...

No. I was right the first time...anyone who agrees with me must be my favorite reviewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Barnes (crackedlcd81)
-edgy, always knows where he stands, reviews wide variety of titles

SoccerGeeks F.C. (Neil Thomson)
- more in depth and informative that Tom V. and includes pictures.

Matt Drake (VixenTorGames)
- hilarious and informative - a mix of the first two for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone in my game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Well, I know Tom Vassal does and it's usually easy to guess a few of the others. To be fair, I can never be 100% certain, that's why I read a lot of them.

To follow, you can never be 100% certain who your favorite reviewer is. But its not Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

That element was the subject of a recent BGG discussion: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/417548/new

I tend to agree with cold_fuzion.

That said, the (video) reviews are a nice way to get a feel for the game. I approach games the way I approach movies: Unless the reviews are scathing, I'll take the plunge if I like the subject or the look and feel of the work involved. I'm rarely disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb

If it's a written review from a geek buddy I'll typically check it out. I'll also hit up video reviews from BGWS and Obsessed with board gaming on occasion.

People have mentioned Tom Vassel and I appreciate his end of the year list and will check out his videos from time to time, but besides CCA and some Martin Wallace titles we typically don't agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most influential:
Colonel Mustard
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Most watchable:
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

I suspect Jack might be considering sending a review copy of one of his games to the favourite reviewer of BGG, so I reckon we'll know of one at least!

I know this has been discussed at length before; it is often alleged that some people may feel obliged to give a good review when they have been sent a review copy. It is often alleged that some reviewers write with this in mind. I disagree that the source of the game has any real effect on the reviewer's standpoint. This is because if somebody goes out and buys a game, then reviews the game, they might be interested in convincing themselves they made the right decision, which will influence their review.

I try to take several opinions before I go for a boardgame unknown to me; and I certainly enjoy a review that's a good read. Greg Schloesser's reviews have always appealed. Ender's reviews are well-written, involved reviews. Anybody who has written a review for Counter has my vote too; they are generally well detailed, well articulated and hardly ever printed without the inclusion of a third-party input. But, of course, the latter reviewers don't always post their material to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

To follow, you can never be 100% certain who your favorite reviewer is. But its not Tom.
You're twisting my words a bit. I have no issues with Tom at all, I enjoy his reviews, but I don't make my decisions based on them. All I'm really trying to say is I try to read more reviews from people that don't have any particular interest in making one game company or another happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of reviews I usually check out the comments first. Then, if I'm still interested I eventually check out reviews from names I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Tom Vasel's Dice Tower stuff. I especially like video reviews in general, because the visual qualities of a game matter to me.

I value all of the reviews here on the geek, and I appreciate all the time and effort these folks put in to keep the rest of us informed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone who doesn't do those fucking video reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If its maximum exposure from good review writers you are after then Matt Drake, Tom Vassel and Enders might be worth sending review copies too. Reviews of games from indy publishers tend to read less than from main stream publishers unless posted by a well known reviewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Instead of reviews I usually check out the comments first. Then, if I'm still interested I eventually check out reviews from names I know.

+1 - this is me also. I am also NOT a huge fan of the video reviews as they bore me most of the time and don't really help and often confuse me.

I've used the videos to show games to Mystery Bob and to see if it's OK to purchase a game, because if he's not interested, he won't play it!!

I think that helpful video reviews--for me--would be like the Days of Wonder videos. A narrated film showing folks playing the game, with game turns, close-ups of important parts, etc. Those are helpful and give a good idea of how a game plays out.

BTW & FWIW - Mystery Bob says he likes Scott Nicholson's videos. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender's reviews are the most likely to get me to buy a game. His combination of pictures with the words really get more across than just about anything else I've found.

Second on my list is probably Geosphere's reviews. Our tastes tend to be fairly similar, and his mentions of his kids and how the game went over with them is useful to me.

I'll have to echo the video review hate here. I can read a review in under 2 minutes, and skim back to review things that I've missed, etc. With a 20 minute video review, that becomes just too much of a time investment. I appreciate all of the work that goes into the video reviews, I jsut don't find them as useful as a well-writen review with appropirate pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Barnes is right up there.

After reading this comment I checked out Barnes page and spent half an hour reading his comments on the games he'a rated.Forgot how good his stuff was. Great insight and a fairly eclectic mix of games. He's definitely one of my fave reviewers, I also highly rate Neil Thomson and Tom Vasel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barnes without a doubt, but there are plenty of other great reviewers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.