Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few games and I find this game pretty boring and obvious to play. I don't know what people find so great about this game.

Anyways, one of the thing that annoys me is that since discarding allow other players to pickup the cards you discarded, players will never discard a card you have a chance to pickup. Which makes this rule totally useless.

So an idea I got is that all the expedition cards you play are placed face down. This way the other players does not know that you can pick up the card they want to discard. They can only attempt to guess which card you played and try to calculate which cards are safe to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Anyways, one of the thing that annoys me is that since discarding allow other players to pickup the cards you discarded, players will never discard a card you have a chance to pickup. Which makes this rule totally useless.

Not quite true.

Sometimes you'll discard a card that your opponent wants, in order to hold off playing a card to your side that you don't want to play yet.

I've been forced into this situation a few times.

Also ... If your opponent has played a handshake, you could discard another to tease them into picking it up, knowing that you have a couple of the high cards of that colour. Might cost them dearly!

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhh...I can't help but wonder if you are playing right. You should be constantly having to decide whether to discard something your opponent needs (or *might* need - opponent may be intending to play a color but is intentionally holding off because he hopes you'll discard something he can use) or to start a new color/add to an existing color on your side in a less-than-ideal way (i.e. risking that you will take negative points).

If you never discard anything that your opponent might want, you're going to have a hard time winning unless you get very lucky with the cards you draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

Are you playing with a constant hand size (of eight cards)?

If you're not playing with a constant hand size, then you could keep every card you draw -- and you'd be right, there's no point in discarding cards.

But the rules state that you must always have eight cards in your hand, which creates the angst-ridden situations of not wanting to play a card (because you want to save it for later) versus not wanting to discard a card (because you don't want your opponent to have it).

Ideally when discarding, you would always discard a card that your opponent has no interest in, but as any seasoned player can tell you, this isn't always the case. Sometimes you just have to discard a card that your opponent will likely take, in the hopes to maximize your own score somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
larienna wrote:
I played a few games
Play a few more and it will start to make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If for example, a player has an expedition with a 5 yellow card, I know that I can discard for example my 3 without problem and I know I will never discard my 6 yellow card until he plays an higher card. Instead, I'll play another card elsewhere if I am stuck.

I might get less points but the thing is that if my opponent is playing the same way, I will never get cards from him, so I rather want to play on another stack and forget that a good card could get discarded.

Because in all our game, only dead cards were discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I frequently discard non-dead cards. I'm either gambling that my opponent won't use them, or else I'm estimating that handing the card to my opponent is less painful than any other option. I suspect that I can maintain a winning record overall against somebody who never, ever discards something that I might be able to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

Then you need to play more times, since that is pretty rare.

As others previously perfectly stated, if you keep a constant hand of eight per the rules, you'll eventually be forced to discard non-dead cards which could be used by your opponent in order to maximize your score in other colors.

I also agree with the discarding extra handshakes or low cards to entice your opponent in a color.

I'll also purposely discard non-dead cards to my opponent towards the end of the round when the stack is getting low, so they're drawing from the face up cards and I'm drawing from the face down cards, in order to get the card(s) I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.