Hide
9 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Some advice on heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
So I need some advice on which skill to choose for the following two characters for my first RtL campaign. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Landrec the Wise
1. Blessing (So far this is my choice)
2. Divine Retribution (Wondering about more thoughts on this, thanks for your comments so far ).

Lord Hawthorne
1. Leadership (So far this is where I am leaning because this skill is really awesome)
2. Taunt (I was thinking of taking this to keep weaker heroes alive)

The characters I already have chosen are:
Ispher with Swift
Silhoutte with Rapid Fire

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landrec and Hawthorne are both the pain in my ... err ... let's say ... poisonnous sting in my campaign. I present my condoleance to your Overlord.

More seriously

For Landrec : Blessing is the best choice, I think. Divine Retribution depends too much on what the overlord is doing, and more often you will die without taking any monsters with you.

For Hawthorne : Well, let's say it depends of you. If you want to play a 'Tank', buy a big armor, two shields and take 'Taunt' to protect your partners... But, in copper level, you really needs to maximize your damage output. Leadership will help you to do this.
Take Leadership to start and when you have enough XP, take 'Taunt', a one-handed weapon and a shield and watch your Overlord beginning to cry.

My two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree that Leadership is probably better than Taunt. Both are currently in play in our current campaign. Leadership has been used 80% of the time for a guard order giving the heroes another attack which is very handy.

I was fearing Taunt at the start of the campaign (Nanok has it), but it has not been a game breaker like I thought. It has been a pain a few times but I (as the OL) have been able to get around Taunt with blocking LOS to the taunter or running melee characters past them. (Remember taunt only forces melee characters to attack the taunter if they are in range.) Also, long range sniping skeletons (from the Sorcerer King) can stay outside the 5 range of taunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Escobedo
msg tools
Thanks guys, sounds like my original thoughts were close to yours . Taunt did seem good but as you say with melee attackers you need to be next to the attacker so it is a little less powerful. I will give it a go as you guys have said.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr11 wrote:

Landrec the Wise
1. Blessing (So far this is my choice)
2. Divine Retribution (Wondering about more thoughts on this, thanks for your comments so far :)).

Lord Hawthorne
1. Leadership (So far this is where I am leaning because this skill is really awesome)
2. Taunt (I was thinking of taking this to keep weaker heroes alive)

Divine Retribution is just rubbish in RtL - the OL will always be happy to lose some pleb monsters to get a kill and frequently be able to avoid even that. Blessing is always good. It is especially good on Landrec or Carthos as these boys love the Blast Runes - which don't allow damage or range from surges and often need more damage and more range for their best use. This is a no-contest.

Taunt should only be used by a tank - that is a heavily armoured character. Hawthorne has only 1 armour for 4CT and IMO does not qualify as a tank - I call him a 'warrior' (along with Steelhorns, Sir Validor, Karnon and Laughlin Buldar). Worse, he is also not suited to wearing the really heavy armours because they slow him down.
Hawthorne's role is to kill things often and fast, not to 'absorb' the enemies attacks. He is fast and can hit fairly hard over a wide area.
Leadership is one of the best skills in the game, one of the few 'critical party skills' that someone in your party must have by mid-late silver. It also needs to go on a hero with a reasonable amount of fatigue. Hawthorne fits the bill. Again, a no-contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erinnyen Erinnyen
msg tools
I have Landrec the Wise with Blessing and Divine Retribution in my group.

He is only one point worth with our balancing house rule and so Divine Retribution hurt's in the small RtL dungeons. Last time the heros have had to fight vs a lot of monsters and a daemon - he run around the daemon and died because of the aura - and 3/4 of my creeps with him. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As per the FAQ, Divine Retribution is triggered only by a killing attack by an enemy. Running into an aura/hazard/whatnot just gets you killed with no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erinnyen Erinnyen
msg tools
I found nothing against this in FAQ or Errata :/

"When you are killed by an enemy figure, all unnamed enemy figures within 3 spaces of you are immediately killed as well. This ability ignores the Undying ability."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erinnyen wrote:
I found nothing against this in FAQ or Errata :/

"When you are killed by an enemy figure, all unnamed enemy figures within 3 spaces of you are immediately killed as well. This ability ignores the Undying ability."

You are right that there is nothing specific in the FAQ. There are however 2 rulings which affect similar circumstances:

Descent FAQ wrote:
Q: If a master monster is killed via some indirect means, such as being knocked back into a pit, a hero’s aura ability, a lingering effect, or a familiar, who gets the bounty of coins?
A: No one. A "killing blow" must be the product of an attack roll.
and
Descent FAQ wrote:
Q: If a Black Curse monster is killed via some indirect means such as Aura, a pit, Burn, or a familiar, who gets the curse?
A: No one. A "killing blow" must be the product of an
attack roll.

Divine Retribution does not use the term "killing blow" but it does require that you be "killed by an enemy figure". This ensures that the other heroes can't kill you in order to clear out the room, and that the overlord can safely kill you with traps, but it does leave other situations open to interpretation.

So I don't know what the official answer is. However, I am personally inclined to use the "killing blow" interpretation simply for the sake of consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.