Subject: Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, are you allowed to "interrupt" events with Character/Item/Follower powers?

Example 1: If the Druid draws the Angel, can he change his alignment to Good after seeing the card, or would he have had to do so before he drew the card?

Example 2: How late can the Druid declare himself Good if he is attacked by the Knight? Before the Knight rolls? Before the Knight moves? Before he declares attack? Or after he has declared an attack to prevent such an attack? (And if the latter, would the Knight be allowed to encounter something else?)

Example 3: How late can you use the alchemist when the Thief or Merchant encounters you? After they have declared what Item they steal/trade?

Ideally, I would have liked a single ruling that decided all such cases with a general statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which version are you playing?

2nd Edition we just let you do it whenever. Turning something into gold so the Thief couldn't steal it was cool. Changing alignments at a moment's notice was all the Druid had going for him. We just never let him do it more than once in a turn. Being able to pick his alignment for events like Angel and Mephistopheles were important.

Black Industries 4th Edition we play the same way. FFG may have changed the wording on the Druid's ability; I'll have to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverre wrote:
Example 1: If the Druid draws the Angel, can he change his alignment to Good after seeing the card, or would he have had to do so before he drew the card?

Change is allowed in this case.

Quote:
Example 2: How late can the Druid declare himself Good if he is attacked by the Knight? Before the Knight rolls? Before the Knight moves? Before he declares attack? Or after he has declared an attack to prevent such an attack? (And if the latter, would the Knight be allowed to encounter something else?)

"No. Once the Knight declares that he is attacking the character, changing alignment to good has no effect on the attack, as the attack has already commenced (it must be done before any attack begins). The Knight's attack may only be evaded by using conventional means.

Ell."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Quote:
Example 3: How late can you use the alchemist when the Thief or Merchant encounters you? After they have declared what Item they steal/trade?

I would say can't do anything after they have chosen the Object. I won't also allow using Alchemist after you lose a combat but before the winner gets to choose his reward, have to do it before the combat begins (probably falls under house rule category).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
Which version are you playing?

Sorry, I should have said. I'm playing Revised 4th Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Rauli. Your answers are pretty much how I would rule it.

I still don't feel like I've found a proper general rule here though.

Would you say, for example, that you can in general react to Adventure cards, but not to player actions? (And I would never allow a power to be used after a die roll, unless explicitly stated.)

So the Druid can react to a card he draws, but must anticipate other characters, changing his alignment in good time before an attack, for example.

In that vein, a player with alchemist could use him to react to Whirlwind (which risk you losing Items) by deciding to change items to gold right before the die rolls, but cannot react to a Thief after he declares that he is stealing.

Does that make sense as a general rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverre wrote:
I still don't feel like I've found a proper general rule here though.

Well, the FFG FAQ is supposed to be coming whistle .

Quote:
So the Druid can react to a card he draws, but must anticipate other characters, changing his alignment in good time before an attack, for example.

In the original example, I'd have the Knight player ask if the Druid wants to change his align after the Knight landed on the Druid. Druid's align change is also one of the few interrupts, merely based on the "at will" and the fact that earlier versions + FAQs have IIRC always rules the align change allowable as response.

Quote:
In that vein, a player with alchemist could use him to react to Whirlwind (which risk you losing Items) by deciding to change items to gold right before the die rolls, but cannot react to a Thief after he declares that he is stealing.

I wouldn't allow Alchemist after drawing Whirlwind. Monsters and characters are an exception (perhaps the exception, would have to go through the cards individually), since you can actually Evade them. Anything else, I use a general rule of thumb of no interrupts until you've resolved the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

I wouldn't allow Alchemist after drawing Whirlwind. Monsters and characters are an exception (perhaps the exception, would have to go through the cards individually), since you can actually Evade them. Anything else, I use a general rule of thumb of no interrupts until you've resolved the card.

So what you are saying here is no interrupts, but Druid is an exception. (And presumably, the Druid staff, since it is identical to the Druid power.)

I don't really like exceptions like that. Would have preferred a single interpretation of the timing of powers without reference to specific cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the Druid we're talking about. Give the poor sod the benefit of the doubt wherever possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sverre wrote:
So what you are saying here is no interrupts, but Druid is an exception. (And presumably, the Druid staff, since it is identical to the Druid power.)

I don't really like exceptions like that. Would have preferred a single interpretation of the timing of powers without reference to specific cards...

But, but, exceptions are where the fun begins . I take it you haven't played the 2nd edition then? Can you say more exceptions than generic interpretations cool ?

E Decker: At least the Druid gets to replenish his spells up to his Craft limit each time he hits Woods. What does the Priest get? Nada!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.