Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Valenty
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Our first GOO awakening.

My wife and I narrowly defeated Hastur last night. Terror track was at 3, so we had a -3 modifier to our combat rolls. We each had 2 investigators. After all four investigators made their rolls, we divided their successes by four to determine how many doom tokens we took off. Any remainder (1-3) we kept to add to our next combat roll. Was this correct, or do we lose the remainder?

Also, we lost one investigator, but continued to divide our successes by four to determine how many doom tokens were taken off. I believe this is correct.

We beat him after his attacks went to -2 luck. That's when my wife lost Mandy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct? Yes.

We multiply the Doom Token capacity of the GOO by the number of starting investigators to get the number of successes needed to kill it. But essentially the same...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
1)"After all four investigators made their rolls, we divided their successes by four to determine how many doom tokens we took off. Any remainder (1-3) we kept to add to our next combat roll. Was this correct, or do we lose the remainder?"

-That's an interesting way of doing things. However to clarify, any successes that remain do not carry over into the next round. For example: After all four investigators have ruled, you managed to get 15 successes in total. That would be three doom tokens worth of damage to the Ancient One. You have 3 successes remaining. Now, at this point, the Ancient One attacks, you do your rolls to resist. After the Upkeep, you roll to attack again. You start off with 0 successes, the 3 unused successes of the previous round are never used.

2)"Also, we lost one investigator, but continued to divide our successes by four to determine how many doom tokens were taken off. I believe this is correct."

-You believed correctlylaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Orlion wrote:
1)"After all four investigators made their rolls, we divided their successes by four to determine how many doom tokens we took off. Any remainder (1-3) we kept to add to our next combat roll. Was this correct, or do we lose the remainder?"

-That's an interesting way of doing things. However to clarify, any successes that remain do not carry over into the next round. For example: After all four investigators have ruled, you managed to get 15 successes in total. That would be three doom tokens worth of damage to the Ancient One. You have 3 successes remaining. Now, at this point, the Ancient One attacks, you do your rolls to resist. After the Upkeep, you roll to attack again. You start off with 0 successes, the 3 unused successes of the previous round are never used.

This is NOT correct. Every success counts (except with certain Ancient Ones that specifically state the contrary).

The rules are worded awkwardly which made people believe your interpretation was correct. But this has been clarified, and reclarified in every FAQ since. Innsmouth has done the best job of clarifying it beyond a shadow of a doubt and also explaining why they used the confusing wording.

Quote:
Q: During the final battle, are investigator successes against the
Ancient One ever eliminated, or do they continue to accumulate
over the course of the final battle?

A: Successes that investigators score against the Ancient One
never disappear. Confusion arises because two separate “success
counts” are tracked in the final battle: (a) the total number of
successes the investigators have scored, and (b) the number that
have been scored toward the removal of the next doom token.

Each time an investigator scores a success in the “Investigators
Attack” step of the final battle, both (a) and (b) increase. But
when the value of (b) is equal to the number of investigators, a
doom token is removed, and (b) is reset to zero. However, this
does not affect the value of (a), and does not change the overall
number of successes the investigators must accumulate over the
course of the final battle to win the game.

The critical point is this: The removal of doom tokens is simply
a method of helping the players track the accumulation of
successes over the course of many rounds of the final battle.

And to put it more simply: you must accumulate a total number of success = to # of investigators that started the game X highest number ont eh doom track. So if you have 4 investigators that played the game and the doom track goes up to 12, you need EXACTLY 48 successes during the final battle. Not one more, not one less (except those exceptions I already mentioned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised rules (includes v.1.1 of the FAQ):

When the players accumulate a total number of successes equal to the number of players (including any players that were eliminated from the game), remove one doom token from the Ancient One’s doom track and reset their cumulative successes to zero."

FAQ (1/4/07, v.1.2):

Q: In combat with an Ancient One, how do cumulative successes in the “Investigators Attack” step work?

A: To defeat the Ancient One, the players must do a total number of successes equal to the number of players multiplied by the number of doom tokens on the Ancient One. So, if 4 players are facing Yig (doom track of 10), they need 40 successes to win. For every 4 successes they do, they remove 1 doom token to track their progress. If the investigators get 9 successes in the first round of combat, they would remove 2 doom tokens, and 1 success would carry over to the next round of combat."

Of course, after 3-4 hours of Arkham Horror, if we get to the Final Battle, we usually just say we've lost... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orlion wrote:
2)"Also, we lost one investigator, but continued to divide our successes by four to determine how many doom tokens were taken off. I believe this is correct."

This applies even if said investigator didn't actually make into the final combat, i.e. was LiTaS when the GOO woke and got devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Huh...Well, I'll be... thanks for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.