Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this has been asked before.

Rex's Investigator Card says that his curse can only be removed by him becoming Blessed. However, this is stated in the context of removing Curses through the upkeep roll. Is the intent to only negate the upkeep roll, or to force Rex to become Blessed?

To be more precise, in the Dunwich expansion, there is a South Church encounter that allows a Luck check to "remove Curses from all investigators." It does not mention Blessings at all.

Would this encounter remove Rex's curse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
Forgive me if this has been asked before.

Rex's Investigator Card says that his curse can only be removed by him becoming Blessed. However, this is stated in the context of removing Curses through the upkeep roll. Is the intent to only negate the upkeep roll, or to force Rex to become Blessed?

To be more precise, in the Dunwich expansion, there is a South Church encounter that allows a Luck check to "remove Curses from all investigators." It does not mention Blessings at all.

Would this encounter remove Rex's curse?

I don't think the Dunwich place would work in this instance. He can only lose it by being blessed. I usually hang out in South Church begging Father Michael...

ColtsFan will be along to let us know if there is an official ruling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't know of an official ruling but I believe the point is that he can only remove the Curse if he is specifically Blessed. So if the encounter had said "all investigators are blessed" then this would remove the curse.

But I haven't seen a lot of official rulings on Kingsport since when it first came out. So maybe something that was said that I overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I use him, he can get blessed like anyone else, by turning in monster trophies or a gate trophy at the church. Another investigator can have him blessed by doing the same.

It doesn't have to be as a result of a mythos or encounter card.
Rolling all those sixes as he's making checks, fighting monsters and sealing a gate is his penance for being cursed. Once he's done that, he deserves the church's exorcism.

IMO, his investigator card is just telling you that you're not to roll during upkeep. No shortcuts.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
IMO, his investigator card is just telling you that you're not to roll during upkeep. No shortcuts.

You are partially correct. The card states that he doesn't roll during upkeep to get rid of the Curse.

But the next sentance says he only loses his Curse if he is Blessed. So that would suggest there are no shortcuts and you can only get rid of the Curse by specifically getting Blessed. Rolling a 6 (or is it a 1) typically let's you get rid of the Curse, but that isn't the same as "being Blessed."

Quote:
Family Curse
Rex never checks to discard Curses during his Upkeep. He may only discard a Curse by being Blessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I use him, he can get blessed like anyone else, by turning in monster trophies or a gate trophy at the church. Another investigator can have him blessed by doing the same.

Problem is, the GOO is Tsouthougga (or whatever)--so we can't use the special ability of the church to bless w/trophies. So I've been parked at the Church for a while. I did manage to get him "Blessed" through an encounter (eventually) so his curse is gone. I was just wondering if the specific DH encounter that "removes curses" but does not "Bless" would work for Rex's curse.

Thanks for the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian

Right. I don't have the board right here with me, but doesn't the South Church special ability specifically state that one can spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or one gate trophy to have an investigator "blessed"?

I agree that "to get rid of a curse" is not the same as "getting blessed".

Edit: Left a word out.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Brian

Right. I don't have the board right here with me, but doesn't the South Church special ability specifically state that one can spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or one gate trophy to have an investigator "blessed"?

I agree that "to get rid of a curse" is not the same as "getting blessed".

Edit: Left a word out.

Brian

Oh yes. Sorry. I though I responded to that. I did in my head anyway.

Yes, you can gain a Blessing thtrough South Church. That is a perfectly viable way to remove Rex's Curse. Either Rex could do it for himself or someone else could do it for him.

Quote:
Stable:
Blessing: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to have any investigator you choose be Blessed.

Blessing / Sanity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Yes, you can gain a Blessing thtrough South Church. That is a perfectly viable way to remove Rex's Curse. Either Rex could do it for himself or someone else could do it for him.

Unless the GOO is Tsouthougga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's what his Personal Story is for. Also, it's totally bogus that some schmuch Rex has possibly never even met can exorcise his family curse ! Make the man bust his own butt for its removal, dammit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reverend Pete wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Well, there are always exceptions. Unless otherwise noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

"Who's the GOO?"
"Tsouthougga. Who did you pick?
"Rex. Let me look at the GOO card!"
"Hey! What are you doing with that lighter?!"
"I guess we're gonna have to pick another Goo! Who's cursed now?!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I'd had a lighter at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex's personal story (from the Innsmouth expansion) is awesome. If he collects 10 Clues, he can spend them at the newspaper to BAM! get $5 bucks, BAM! get Blessed, and BAM! give each 1st player a free Clue token for every upkeep for the rest of the game.

I love this character...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Fletcher
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally, I'd like to see the other characters (e.g. base game) get personal story's and associated benefits/bains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gryknight9 wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see the other characters (e.g. base game) get personal story's and associated benefits/bains.

Huh? IH adds a Personal Story for each investigator, AH, DH, KH and IH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.