Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. FedEx: Box Tease - Last week marked the arrival of a long-awaited pre-order. When the package shipped, FedEx tracking estimated delivery for 7/15. On the 15th, I checked tracking again to confirm it was out for delivery. "On schedule" was on the first line with "Arrival date: 7/16" underneath it. Curse you, FedEx, for delaying new game smell by 24 hours.

2. Tripwire Leashes - I've already established that dogs and NYC is a horrible combination. Half the city is covered in canine piss and about 10% of owners never scoop the poop. Even when the dogs aren't evacuating bowel and bladder, they're a pain in the neck. There's always some owner walking well below the minimum NYC sidewalk speed limit with an extra long leash attached to their dog on the other side of the sidewalk. Those little bastards move unpredictably, so no matter how careful you har, you will trip over that leash.

3. More Reasons Why Firefox Sucks - In Dreamweaver, F12 will preview the file you're working on in Firefox. It's quite handy. When Firefox updated last week, hitting F12 in DW no longer automatically switches applications. I have to manually Alt+Tab over to it now. This costs me at least 32 seconds over the course of the workday.

4. Thanks for the Help - You gotta love the folks who are happy to help and proud of themselves when they're finished, only they made the situation worse and it takes you more time to correct it. Whenever folks upload links for me at work, it's always riddled with errors that they never notice because they never work on the pages where the errors in the links become apparent.

5. Crappy Music in YouTube Videos - "Top 10 World Cup Goals of All Time" seems like a decent way to kill 2 minutes on YouTube, right? Why do the people who make these compilations insist on setting it to Nickelback instead of using the raw audio, which is infinitely more exciting (and less offensive)? To quote an Onion T-shirt, "Your Favorite Band Sucks". Let us set it to our own soundtrack if we please.

6. Whoooooooooooo! - The Tonight Show and The Colbert Report have become intolerable. Each episode starts with 5 minutes of the crowd cheering while the host, in a futile effort, attempts to shut them up so he can actually start the show. Eggie hates how Conan usually calls the crowd stupid or insane, but I don't blame him--you can actually see it on his face how much he hates that the crowd won't just let him do the show. Isn't that what they came there for?

7. Theme-Only Description - The back of the Agricola box got it right--they actually describe the mechanisms of the game rather than the theme. Sure, a game like Arkham Horror can get away with mentioning only the theme on the back, but Stone Age? Theme to me is like graphics in a video game--it's the lowest priority.

8. A Kid, a Wave Board, the Subway and My Feet - An 8-year-old kid with a Wave Board (one of those 2-wheeled skateboards designed to make the rider appear as stupid as possible) comes onto the subway with his mother. There's only one open seat next to me and the mother takes it, then she stares at me for 5 minutes essentially asking me to give up my seat for the kid. If he's able enough to ride one of those ridiculous boards, he can stand on the subway for 20 minutes. Apparently, I was wrong. Every time the train either started or stopped, the kid tripped over my feet. Literally every time, and there's 17 stops between my office and home.

9a. Names On Replica Yankee Jerseys - The Yankee jerseys are a classic in baseball. They've remained largely unchanged since the team changed their name from the Highlanders. Not once in the history of the team have they worn player names on the backs. So why do stores insist on selling jerseys with nameplates on the back? Is there a Yankee fan out there who really needs to be reminded that Derek Jeter is #2? Why spend $100 (replica) or $160 (authentic) for a jersey if you're only going to make it as inauthentic as possible.

9b. Red Hats On Yankees (belated entry) - Over the weekends of Memorial Day and Independence Day weekends, the MLB forced all teams to wear red caps with the team's logo outlining the American flag (except for the Blue Jays, who got a Canadian flag on theirs). It looked terrible. The Yankees, who have never insulted their fans with a third jersey or vests, looked like a minor league team who lost their caps and had to borrow some from their opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

There's only one open seat next to me and the mother takes it, then she stares at me for 5 minutes essentially asking me to give up my seat for the kid.

Have you perfected the return "fuck you" stare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
6. Whoooooooooooo! - The Tonight Show and The Colbert Report have become intolerable. Each episode starts with 5 minutes of the crowd cheering while the host, in a futile effort, attempts to shut them up so he can actually start the show. Eggie hates how Conan usually calls the crowd stupid or insane, but I don't blame him--you can actually see it on his face how much he hates that the crowd won't just let him do the show. Isn't that what they came there for?

Mixed signals, though. The same show employs an audience wrangler whose job it is to excite the crowd before Conan/Colbert comes on. You're just seeing the end result of 25 minutes of poking and prodding by the show's own production staff. And you can bet the network would much prefer hysterical whooping than polite golf claps. Otherwise, everyone's going to switch over to Letterman. No, I think the better solution is just to start the show five minutes earlier in the studio, edit out the five minutes of applause, and run the initial "Conaaaaan O'Briiiieeeen!" on a tape delay before you go live.

erak wrote:
9a. Names On Replica Yankee Jerseys - The Yankee jerseys are a classic in baseball. They've remained largely unchanged since the team changed their name from the Highlanders. Not once in the history of the team have they worn player names on the backs. So why do stores insist on selling jerseys with nameplates on the back? Is there a Yankee fan out there who really needs to be reminded that Derek Jeter is #2? Why spend $100 (replica) or $160 (authentic) for a jersey if you're only going to make it as inauthentic as possible.

On a similar note, I'm convinced the "official" O's cap isn't the official cap. And it has a recently-discovered printing error that's been on the caps the last 2-3 seasons (the apostrophe is upside-down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
This costs me at least 32 seconds over the course of the workday.

This kind of thing drives me nuts. I have to use a database at work where I have to enter a certain piece of information twice (a 2 letter code), every time. Why can't it remember what I just typed? Why do I have to type it again? I use this database 8 to 10 times a day, so that's like 16 to 20 keystrokes. That's time I will NEVER get back!

And it's not the 32 seconds that bugs me, so much as the time I spend being pissed off about it. That's like 4 minutes!

Quote:
7. Theme-Only Description - The back of the Agricola box got it right--they actually describe the mechanisms of the game rather than the theme. Sure, a game like Arkham Horror can get away with mentioning only the theme on the back, but Stone Age? Theme to me is like graphics in a video game--it's the lowest priority.

Hmm, I never thought about before, but yeah that would be annoying. I don't really notice it because I almost never see a new game without having already read about it on BGG.

Quote:
(one of those 2-wheeled skateboards designed to make the rider appear as stupid as possible)

laugh I always wondered what the point of those were. Seems kind of like a step backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
A little too much game content there, Erak. We may have to ban you from Chit-Chat. That, and your annoying worship of the always nauseating NY Yankees.

Quote:
2. Tripwire Leashes

Your problem isn't with the pooches, it's with the insensitive and moronic citizens of NYC. Or am I being redundant? That said, I can't imagine owning a dog in a major city. It sounds terribly unfair to the animal and a pain in the ass to everyone else.

Quote:
6. Whoooooooooooo!

I agree with David, this is exactly what the people running the show (including the hosts) want. If anyone thought it was out of hand, they'd have the audience stop (very easy to do, like maybe you turn off the "Applause" signs) or edit the response out. On the other hand, if I were forced to watch Conan O'Brien, I'd probably prefer 5 minutes of mindless cheering over his alledged comedy.

Quote:
8. A Kid, a Wave Board, the Subway and My Feet

Not much on the "women and children first" doctrine, are we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

The back of a game box is for people who need to read the backs of a game boxes to make their purchase decisions. That's not me. If I were a game publisher, you bet your ass I would be using that space to sweet talk those suckers into buying a game that is probably better than they deserve. 99% of people who would consider back of the box copy in their purchase would be bored to tears with a mechanical description of game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb

8. A Kid, a Wave Board, the Subway and My Feet - There is only one respectable solution to this. Shift in back your seat put your feet out and claim more space in the aisle. The kid will move.

9a. Names On Replica Yankee Jerseys - I think putting sport star names on anything is retarded anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

Quote:
8. A Kid, a Wave Board, the Subway and My Feet

Not much on the "women and children first" doctrine, are we?

She should have gotten up and given her own child the seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
8. A Kid, a Wave Board, the Subway and My Feet - An 8-year-old kid with a Wave Board (one of those 2-wheeled skateboards designed to make the rider appear as stupid as possible) comes onto the subway with his mother. There's only one open seat next to me and the mother takes it, then she stares at me for 5 minutes essentially asking me to give up my seat for the kid. If he's able enough to ride one of those ridiculous boards, he can stand on the subway for 20 minutes. Apparently, I was wrong. Every time the train either started or stopped, the kid tripped over my feet. Literally every time, and there's 17 stops between my office and home.

I have an 8-year old and I would NEVER make or expect an adult to give up their seat to her!! It is sad to see how so many parents coddle their children--our future leaders!! :cringe:

I give up my seat to anyone older than me or a pregnant woman--never to children!!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
erak wrote:

You don't get this problem with Craig Ferguson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Those little bastards move unpredictably, so no matter how careful you har, you will trip over that leash.

Yeah, well maybe you har just sucking at not tripping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

I'm just glad I was worth mentioning at all!!

I hate how 80% of Conan's "jokes" are about how terrible his "joke" are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

This one time, I was on the subway and this strung out looking teenager came on, and proceeded to spend the rest of the ride trying to set the front wheel of his bicycle on fire with a lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.