Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks really nice! In fact you address the very problem I face over and over. I like the D&D Boardgame a lot, but find it hard to attract players because of the simplicity of the game.
But I am not sure, if D&D Boardgame is really suitable for solitary play. The main reason I bring it to the table instead of heavy-weight dungeon crawlers is the short length of a single session. But there is no character development apart from looting items. While I prefer it to Warhammer Quest when playing with others, I see no reason to play D&D Boardgame, when there is no one around. For solitary play Warhammer Quest is better in every aspect.
Nevertheless I will try these rules. Maybe they will prove me wrong.

Edit: In fact I will try it right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a quick update:
1. One of the things that make D&D Boardgame special is the use of the initiative cards. You never know the order of the players when opening a new door. This is not used in solitary play and makes the game lose one of its unique features.
2. One board section is quite small. It means you will have three rooms on average with one of the rooms being the starting room. It feels more like a training session than actual dungeon crawling.
3. By placing the number of monsters shown on the card instead of the single monster represented by this number, it is harder to keep track of the hitpoints of the individual monsters. In the basic game you've got one card for every single monster and place the hitpoints onto the cards.
4. Getting 17 item cards for just defeating a gnoll and two goblins does not feel right. Treasure should be treasure.

Keep up the good work. I will try to provide you with feedback.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Have been trying to read the 4th revised edition for the solo play and all I keep getting are cross-off lines of text.
Any chance of having this final final final final version made availble here.

Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know of any rule summaries for the basic game - I am finding the layout in the 2 game books unhelpful. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harv wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Do you know of any rule summaries for the basic game - I am finding the layout in the 2 game books unhelpful. Thanks


Some guy called Simon Woodward has posted a rules summary here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47646. Weird coincidence!


That's amazing!!!!laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Price
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'd like to read these solo rules but the file seems to be missing from the link provided.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Awesome. I wonder if there are a variant that uses 2 copies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
New plan: Cancel selling of 2nd copy and get ready to start mini paintings!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the OP was removed. Anybody know of an available solo variant ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo / Co-op rules now available again!

I'm the original author of these rules, and have made them available once more.

Includes rules for solo or co-op play, with any number of heroes; procedurally-generated dungeons, monsters, treasure and traps; experience and levelling; and optional rules for incorporating scenery from HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest.

Let me know what you think!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gracias Pelein!

I've made an updated version of these rules available, so thought I'd take the time to reply to these comments again!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
I see no reason to play D&D Boardgame, when there is no one around. For solitary play Warhammer Quest is better in every aspect.
Nevertheless I will try these rules. Maybe they will prove me wrong. Edit: In fact I will try it right now.


I agree with what you say! I think Warhammer Quest is a better game, on average, but for me D&D:FAB (and HeroQuest) are more useful for introducing early-career gamers to dungeon crawlers. Not to mention that not everyone was lucky enough to bag a copy of Warhammer Quest in 1995 (and no, mine's not for sale!).

I also play with a lot of co-op fans, myself included, so I'm always looking for ways to add automation to games. Let me know what you think of the solo / co-op rules!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
Just a quick update:
1. One of the things that make D&D Boardgame special is the use of the initiative cards. You never know the order of the players when opening a new door. This is not used in solitary play and makes the game lose one of its unique features.
2. One board section is quite small. It means you will have three rooms on average with one of the rooms being the starting room. It feels more like a training session than actual dungeon crawling.
3. By placing the number of monsters shown on the card instead of the single monster represented by this number, it is harder to keep track of the hitpoints of the individual monsters. In the basic game you've got one card for every single monster and place the hitpoints onto the cards.
4. Getting 17 item cards for just defeating a gnoll and two goblins does not feel right. Treasure should be treasure.

Keep up the good work. I will try to provide you with feedback.


Looking back at these suggestions, makes me realise how unpolished the early versions of my solo / co-op rules must have been! Thank you for these really good suggestions. I have remedied all of these problems in the latest version. Let me know how you get on with them!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Have been trying to read the 4th revised edition for the solo play and all I keep getting are cross-off lines of text.
Any chance of having this final final final final :) version made availble here.

Thanks in advance.


Now in the Files section once again. Enjoy!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chooche wrote:
Awesome. I wonder if there are a variant that uses 2 copies.


Check my solo / co-op rules: you can use as many cards as you like.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...

You'd need to make sure you knew which monster is 'Goblin 1a', and which is 'Goblin 1b': perhaps with variant paintjobs. Although the chances of two matching cards being drawn in the same encounter are slim.

I have two sets of minis, and have painted the second set of Goblins, Gnolls and Ogres as their Winter equivalents.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
It seems like the OP was removed. Anybody know of an available solo variant ?


Now available again in the files section!

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ruckage wrote:
I'd like to read these solo rules but the file seems to be missing from the link provided.


Fixed that for you:

[/url]https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140112/dd-fab-solo-co-op-...[url]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oriol Vilanova

Les Franqueses
Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! This set of rules looks pretty interesting and I am willing to test it out in the next days.
I was wondering of a way to keep alive the 'search for traps' aspect that you completely removed. It is obvious that traps locations cannot be predetermined, but I was thinking of a way of being able to use the original search/disable trap mechanics, while keeping the tension of accidentally springing them.

The most important point to me is that, moving inside a room should have an associated 'cost' to check if the character activated any trap.
A first approach could be:

1. After a character movement: Roll 1d6 and a result less or equal than movement/2 (rounded up) activates a trap (see 4.). This rule always applies unless Lidda has already determined that the room is free of traps (see 2.)
For each activated trap, add a trap token to a separate pool (outside the board) to keep track of the number of traps activated in the current room.

2. At any moment, Lidda can use her 'search for traps' action by rolling the corresponding die:
- In case that she gets the reveal 1 (or 2) next traps, roll a 1d6 (one for each trap) to check if there are any traps left in the room. A result less than or equal than the number of traps revealed so far (including traps activated by movement), means that there are no more traps left in the current room. This is the only way to completely eliminate traps in a room.
Next, she can attempt to disable the newly found trap/s (see 3.)
* These numbers could be tuned by using party/threat level, etc.
- In case she gets the 'stop' symbol, normal rules apply. However, in this case, there is an unlimited number of traps that could be activated by character movement in the current room!

3. A successful trap search 'immediately' allows Lidda an opportunity to disable the trap (as a free action). Roll the disable trap die and apply the results by normal rules. A successful disabled trap is added to Lidda's hero card. Otherwise the trap is activated (see 4.), and a trap token is added to a separate pool (outside the board) to keep track of the number of traps revealed/activated in the current room.

4. At the beginning of a mission, or during a new room set-up, determine the different available trap types, and their consequences.
Once a trap is activated, select one of the trap types randomly.
You can give them different weights relative to their impact, for example: you can determine A) a minor threat trap (weight 3), B) a medium threat trap (weight 2) and C) a major threat trap (weight 1). Then you can determine the kind of the next activated trap by rolling 1d6 and applying the result: A:1,2,3 B:4,5 C:6


So, these are my ideas. Do they seem too clunky? I would like to know if anyone else is interested, co we can try to refine this mechanic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thesunshadow wrote:
Hi! This set of rules looks pretty interesting and I am willing to test it out in the next days.
I was wondering of a way to keep alive the 'search for traps' aspect that you completely removed. It is obvious that traps locations cannot be predetermined, but I was thinking of a way of being able to use the original search/disable trap mechanics, while keeping the tension of accidentally springing them.

The most important point to me is that, moving inside a room should have an associated 'cost' to check if the character activated any trap.
A first approach could be:

1. After a character movement: Roll 1d6 and a result less or equal than movement/2 (rounded up) activates a trap (see 4.). This rule always applies unless Lidda has already determined that the room is free of traps (see 2.)
For each activated trap, add a trap token to a separate pool (outside the board) to keep track of the number of traps activated in the current room.

2. At any moment, Lidda can use her 'search for traps' action by rolling the corresponding die:
- In case that she gets the reveal 1 (or 2) next traps, roll a 1d6 (one for each trap) to check if there are any traps left in the room. A result less than or equal than the number of traps revealed so far (including traps activated by movement), means that there are no more traps left in the current room. This is the only way to completely eliminate traps in a room.
Next, she can attempt to disable the newly found trap/s (see 3.)
* These numbers could be tuned by using party/threat level, etc.
- In case she gets the 'stop' symbol, normal rules apply. However, in this case, there is an unlimited number of traps that could be activated by character movement in the current room!

3. A successful trap search 'immediately' allows Lidda an opportunity to disable the trap (as a free action). Roll the disable trap die and apply the results by normal rules. A successful disabled trap is added to Lidda's hero card. Otherwise the trap is activated (see 4.), and a trap token is added to a separate pool (outside the board) to keep track of the number of traps revealed/activated in the current room.

4. At the beginning of a mission, or during a new room set-up, determine the different available trap types, and their consequences.
Once a trap is activated, select one of the trap types randomly.
You can give them different weights relative to their impact, for example: you can determine A) a minor threat trap (weight 3), B) a medium threat trap (weight 2) and C) a major threat trap (weight 1). Then you can determine the kind of the next activated trap by rolling 1d6 and applying the result: A:1,2,3 B:4,5 C:6


So, these are my ideas. Do they seem too clunky? I would like to know if anyone else is interested, co we can try to refine this mechanic.




Any progress on these trap rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oriol Vilanova

Les Franqueses
Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I come to finish a revision to the original rules that work pretty well for me (so these are tested). If anyone likes to try it and share their comments...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dungeons and Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Boardgame

Solo & Co-op rules (revised)


Hero Setup
Unchanged

Monster Setup
Unchanged

Dungeon Setup
Unchanged

Doors
Unchanged

Furniture
Unchanged

* Alternatively you can copy furniture from the rulebook preset scenarios for each room


Turn Summary

1. Wandering Monsters Phase
2. Action Phase
3. Treasure Phase
*. (No rest phase)



Wandering Monsters Phase

Unchanged

* At the beginning of each turn generate monsters inside the last opened room


Generate Monsters
Unchanged

Monster Level
Unchanged

Action Phase

Unchanged

* A Hero may choose to skip his/her action phase to Rest and Heal 1 Hit point (he/she takes no actions this turn)


Monster Behaviour
Unchanged

* Monsters always position themselves orthogonally adjacent to their target when able, even they can also attack diagonally


Monster Special Rules
Unchanged

Normal Actions

Attack

Unchanged

* Heroes and Monsters may attack diagonally adjacent targets

* Each monster attacks only once per turn


Move

Unchanged

* Heroes may move two spaces diagonally at the cost of 3 movement points (1.5 points per space)

* Moving heroes may accidentally activate traps unless any Hero has already determined that no more traps remain in the current room (See Search for Traps). After moving by the cost of one action, roll 1d6. If the result is less than or equal to half the movement (rounded up), the character activates a trap. Put an activated trap token under the current location of the Hero and perform its consequences.


Open Chest
Unchanged


Change Item
Unchanged

Open Door

Unchanged

* Generate monsters only during the Wandering Monsters Phase


Special Actions

Cast Spell
Unchanged

Disable Traps

A Hero may use an action to make a disable trap attempt by rolling an ‘X’ on the disable trap dice. They may only perform this action, in case that any armed traps remain in the current room’s trap pool.

If successful, ... etc


Heal
Unchanged



Search for Traps

A Hero may use an action to make a search attempt by rolling one or more eyes on the search die.

If sucessful, add that many ‘armed’ trap tokens to the current room’s trap pool. These trap tokens may be disabled by Heroes. After this, roll 1d6. If the result is less than or equal to the current number of traps in the trap pool plus the number of activated traps by moving characters (See Move), the you success to find that no more traps remain in the current room.

In case that the roll is the stop searching hand, Heroes may not perform any further search for traps actions in the current room (the number of traps in this room is unlimited). When the result is a blank, do nothing.

Sneak
Unchanged

Turn Undead
Unchanged

Treasure
Unchanged

Resolving Treasure
Unchanged

Resting
See Action Phase

Fleeing the Dungeon
Unchanged

Between Adventures
Unchanged

Trading
Unchanged

Experience
Experience Points
Unchanged

Levelling Up
Unchanged

* Alternatively, heroes may automatically upgrade +1 level after each scenario (for a shorter campaign)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.