Subject: Am i missing somthing about this game?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys

I have had arkham horror for a few month now and have purchased the black goat expantion but have yet to lose a game apart fromthe first game when i was reading the rules.

I mainly play with 2 people with 1 investigator each and we have won once by gate sealing and the other 2 times by anhaliting the boss with out much damage done two us at all.

I have also seen people talking on here about how going it solo with 1 investigator is impossible but i have just this minute completed a game where is was darrell simmons Vs Ithaqua and the black goat.

I managed to seal 3 games but 1 burst and only really had a derringer and a knife for the whole game. Ithaqua came out due to to many gates open but by this time i had managed to accumilate 16 clue tokens before he woke up.

I lost my derrenger as soone as he woke but due to all my clue tokens a managed to kill Ithaqua with just a knife? lol

I just feel some what disapointed by being able to win with 1 investigator with a knife.

Any one have any thoughts about such events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be doing something wrong. Because gates should open much faster than you can possibly close them with only 1 or 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Many of the posts I have read here at BGG indicate that winning by defeating the GOO is considered much easier than other paths to victory. We have played the base game about 10 times, and we have played with the Dunwich expansion 5 more times. The difficulty of the game rose dramatically with the new expansion. I do not know how BGotW affects the game.

Like the other poster mentioned, you want to make sure you are following the rules faithfully. Our first few games were marred by simple misunderstandings of the rules, which resulted in easier victories. The most common errors we made were performing actions during the wrong phases (e.g. going through a gate during movement, fighting monsters during mythos).

The base game is fairly easy once you understand which gates to seal, and how to manage your resources effectively. Before we upgraded to Dunwich, we added the suggested house rule where two monsters appear on opening gates. This simple change caused the terror track to raise more often.

Our pre-Dunwich games resulted in a victory every time except the first (like you we stumbled around a lot that first game). The five games with Dunwich resulted in two losses (Yog Sothoth, Shudde M'ell), two wins by defeating the GOO (Abhoth, Hastur) and one win by seals (Tsathoggua).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Naa. With 2 investigators you start with 1 gate open and will possible end up with 3 more gate open before you have enought clue tokens to start sealing them. never any poin to closing if you cant seal.One you have enough tokens to seal a gate you go and do it takes about to turns and your out and sealed then thats one less gate that can open again.

the more you get cloed after that the less gates can open and the more time you get to seal them. Its only the first few turns that gates open in such a crazy style that the doom counters are put on every turn.

Even with the doom tokens getting put on for gate surges as the black goat says, it starts to matter less and less the more you seal.

in the last game where i was playing 1 investigator i grabed enough tokens to seal a gate and as i was in the other world came across a crad that gave me another 4 tokens then got 2 more from the next card and was rady to seal another lol. after that i admit i was struggling to get to another 1 to seal it for monsters but their did end up as many portals as monsters and as i had black goat out i had already put 2 monsters per gate on 2 and that left gates being opened without any monsters gaurding them. they may be going to the outskrts but that aint going to stop me much lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Boy oh boy, those gates ( as J.G said) open really fast.

What puzzles me is how did you manage with one investigator as solo !

It is a fantastic game and I am sure, once you re-read the rules, AH will give you some really long play time.

All the Best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The final battle is easiest with one investigator but the actual game itself should be much more difficult.

When these posts come up, invariably, you are playing something wrong. Though others will jump in and claim the base game is just that easy instead of take a minute to check that you are playing everything correctly. And just about everyone of these threads, we flush out something that is not correct. No fault of your own, it is just a game that has a lot of rules and a lot of places you can overlook things without realizing it. Instead of rehashing what I just said a week or two ago, check out the last topic:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/423235

Read through that and see if anything pops up. If gates aren't coming up fast enough, make sure you realize the difference between "closing" and "sealing" and that only sealing prevents further gates from opening.

If you are moving too quick, make sure you realize that as soon as you enter combat with a monster (or fail to evade), your movement is over for the remainder of the turn, even if you defeat the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
i am really pleased with the respose i have been giving in such a short time. only posted this about 20 minutes ago.

Is their is a problem with the way i am playing the game it will probably be todo with my phases some where so here is an example of how i am playing that may help with whats happening.

Ok say i have 1 investigator and he is at the graveyard and their is a portal on the black cave.

Upkeep

first id do my upkeep phase where i would use retainers and alter my sliders so i have enough movment to get to the black cave.

Movement

Then i would move to the black cave.of which if their is a monster on riverton streets id need to evade it and if their is a monster on the black cave i would need to fight it.then pick up any clue counters

Encounters

If i am still alive after the monsters guarding it i then move through the gate and pick up a gate card of which is i pass i move the square 2.

mythos phase.
monsters move and gates are opened.

my next turn

Movement does not happen for me

encounter phase

pick up a gate card and if i pass i go back out the portal and then get a chace to seal it. job done. is this correct.

Also on a different subject. how do flyers ever get to fight any one. say its a circle sybol flyer and it moves to the skays after a card come out. by my reconing it only comes back from the skys if a player end his turn on a street such as uptown or miskatonic u spaces and the card has another circle on it? is ths correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
First problem is that if the Black Cave has a gate on it, there shoudl be no CLue tokens. As soon as a gate opens, all Clues are removed from that location and no new clues are placed until it closes.

Your movement through the OW is not right either. Let me look at it again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you're familiar with game play, I'd suggest re-reading the rules to see what you might be doing wrong -OR- play with people you are unfamiliar with (that are familiar with AH) and see what you are doing wrong.

But, yes, you are missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Turn A, Phase 2, move to an open gate, fight/evade monsters.
Turn A, Phase 3, move through the gate to the first area
Turn A, Phase 4, have an OW encounter in the first area

Turn B, Phase 2, move to the second area
Turn B, Phase 4, have an OW encounter in the second area

Turn C, Phase 2, move back to Arkham
Turn C, Phase 3, close/seal gate

These are just the relevant steps, skipped posting Phase 1 and 5. The intent is to have 2 OW encounters though being delayed and sent back early may alter that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
If there is a gate on the Black Cave, there should not be any clue tokens. Clues disappear when a gate is opened on a location. I may have misunderstood you, but you do not move to the second area of the other world until your next turn. It should take you a minimum of two turns to get through an other world unless you get an encounter that sends you back to Arkham immediately.

Once a flyer moves to the sky, it will remain there until its movement symbol comes up and someone is in the streets. It still counts towards the monster limit for Arkham.

Added: I must be a very slow poster. :shake:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scipio23 wrote:
Many of the posts I have read here at BGG indicate that winning by defeating the GOO is considered much easier than other paths to victory.

Get the expansion with the Goo Battle cards and they will *eat you alive*

It's awesome lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fliers are a problem. They tend to clog up the skies which has the effect of maxing your limits and driving up the Terror Track with you not being able to do much.

The expansions did fix this by 1) giving you more weapons that can draw monsters out of the sky and 2) making them move when a gate burst is drawn.

So it looks like you read the fliers correctly. You need to be in the street when their movement symbol comes up (or a gate burst if you are using expansions) in order for them to come and get you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
ahh didnt know that clue tokens get taken when i portal is opened so that could be part of the reason i feel i have to many clue tokens.

only part of my movement i feel may be not right is fighting th monsters on the square i land on then going through the gate in my encounter phase and taking a card.

if sucsessful im on the second space in the other world by the end of the turn i go in and are ready to pick up anothe card and walk out in my next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
ahh didnt know that clue tokens get taken when i portal is opened so that could be part of the reason i feel i have to many clue tokens.

only part of my movement i feel may be not right is fighting th monsters on the square i land on then going through the gate in my encounter phase and taking a card.

if sucsessful im on the second space in the other world by the end of the turn i go in and are ready to pick up anothe card and walk out in my next turn.

You only move during Phase 2. At the end of the first turn, you should still be on the first space of the OW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
think i just spotted my main problem.

i know im moving to the second space in the rong turn but im not moving in the second turn im just picking a card up so thats not an extreme error.

the one bit i dont think i getting right is that im picking up the card in that turn and then moving to go out and seal

so in conclusion im able to complte a gate in 2 turns when it should take 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
think i just spotted my main problem.

i know im moving to the second space in the rong turn but im not moving in the second turn im just picking a card up so thats not an extreme error.

the one bit i dont think i getting right is that im picking up the card in that turn and then moving to go out and seal

so in conclusion im able to complte a gate in 2 turns when it should take 3.

Passing the encounter just means you survived and get to stay where you are (unless the card specifically "returns" you to Arkham).

You are treating it as a reward and moving. So yes, that is incorrect. It will have a major impac ton the game getting through the OW that quickly. If you had 50% more turns, that is a lot more gates and other crap happening in Arkham while you are away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
sadly i do have another quiery though which is about the curruption cards from black goat. the way it puts it in the rules is that i mix up the red and green cards in to one deck and then pick the top one when im told to pick up a curruption card. this is leading me to know when a bad one is coming as its a red card.

must be somthing wrong with what im doing their.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
oh also if i am sent back to arkham due to a gate card am i able to seal straight away of do i have to wait another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
You can only close and seal gates during the Arkham encounter phase (except for Elder Signs). If you return from the other world during the other world encounters, then you will have to wait until the next Arkham encounter phase to attempt to close and seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
sadly i do have another quiery though which is about the curruption cards from black goat. the way it puts it in the rules is that i mix up the red and green cards in to one deck and then pick the top one when im told to pick up a curruption card. this is leading me to know when a bad one is coming as its a red card.

must be somthing wrong with what im doing their.

You shuffle the green separately and then the red separately. Then stack green on top of red. So you will draw allthe green and then draw all the red and will know when you get to red.

Also make sure you aren't discarding Corruption cards back into the deck. They are to be removed from the game when discarded so there are only so many you can pick up before the game goes to final battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
oh also if i am sent back to arkham due to a gate card am i able to seal straight away of do i have to wait another turn.

Right, follow the phases. If you get kicked back, you will get kicked in Phase 4.

You will then have to deal with any monsters during phase 2 (you only get a freebie if you move back during phase 2 not phase 4 or 5). If you evade or win the combat, then you can attempt to close/seal in phase 3.

Also note that you only get an explored token if you "return" to Arkham. If it does nto say "return" then you don't get an explored marker and you can't close it. you will have to go back in and do more time in the OW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
ahhh ok so theu go on to of each other that makes some sence. dosent seem to say yhat in the guide you get with it. my only thought is that with their being so many green cards it must be almost impossible to end up on red. specially with only 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
ahhh ok so theu go on to of each other that makes some sence. dosent seem to say yhat in the guide you get with it. my only thought is that with their being so many green cards it must be almost impossible to end up on red. specially with only 2 investigators.

From the rules...

Quote:
Shuffle the sixteen green Corruption cards into a stack, then shuffle the sixteen
red Corruption cards into a different stack. Then, place the green stack on top
of the red stack to form a single Corruption deck. Place this deck near the
other Special cards.

These are from the Online rules which were different than the ones printed. But I think the only correction was that they mistakingly stated there were only 8 of each card.

The "problem" with Corruption cards is that getting one will usually facilitate getting more. The effects shold be implmented if the monster symbol comes up during the mythos phase. So while you may have limited opportunity to get one, once you do, it should be more likely to get more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.