Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wotw [+] [View All]
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Drumroll please...

For this weeks Wolf of the Week, I present you with the peerless, the spectacular, the amazing, the ....Nyriv.

nyriv wrote:
Thank You. I have a brief statement I'd like to read before I take your questions.

"For too long have I flown under the radar and deceived you, my affectionate fans. I have let you believe that I was a trustworthy, honest, and affable villager like the rest of you. The nyriv you know and love is a lie, and in order to set the press, this country, and you, my friends, straight, I must confess. Nyriv is but a psuedonym I've used in order to protect my real name while going on shameful acts of lynching, lying, stealing, and --occasionally-- consuming villager flesh."

"You may call me Jeff. I grew up in a small village next to a closed Air Force base. The only other claim to fame of my small town was the World Kielbasa Festival, held every year. Abandoned barracks, accordians playing polka, and ornery MPs were my playthings when I was young. The family moved often, and I lived in 5 houses in the same city by the time I was in High school. Boardgames were always present in my house, as my mom actually worked at Milton Bradley for a time. Despite the abandoned buildings and constant military presence on a closed base, I had not yet seen a werewolf.

"Eventually, I was no longer a young man, so I headed east to Boston to study biochemistry (and eventually economics and business...). The family moved to Salem, city of witches, hysterical lynchings, burnings, and Parker Brothers. At college, I was a founding member of the Coalition Of Role Playing and Strategic Enthusiasts (bonus points if you can guess what we really called ourselves), where I discovered that gateway to another hexagonal world, Settlers. After running several years worth of intrigue-based RPGs, I found werewolf as a convenient and quick way to rid myself of players I didn't like without ruining an entire campaign. Everyone else liked it because they could lynch me. I think this is when I got bitten, and why I now refuse to polish silver at work.

"I came to the WW forums in an odd way... I actually met arkibet, xand, and several other of the veterans over on BSW, and joined LupusLanding with them after much cajoling (and mainly to keep ETers from constantly asking me to join). I signed up for two games, out of courtesy to my new townsfolk. One was a basic 9 player, and the other was the John (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/131109) game... which curiously was where I first signed up to play a game with Lukie. Three years later, in this month's Clue 3.0 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/418251), we finally got to play a game together. So I'm sure I'll see Lukie in another three years or so.

"Needless to say, I was hooked. Unfortunately, my schedule makes it hard to be here regularly... working in a kitchen 60+ hours a week w/o computer or a regular schedule means I'm usually only available in the summer, or during vacation breaks. You know, once in a blue moon.

"I've actually made it to BGG.con once, a few years back, but it's usually at an inconvenient time, so this summer I decided to make an effort to actually visit several of those I play with, and met with arkibet, invited greek, Karmic, and Selena here, and then visited Josh and Dawn (who are, of course, no relation to anyone else I've mentioned). Good people all. Certainly looking forward to hosting more wolves in the future!

"Questions? Helen?"

Two Truths and a Lie

1) I have viewed the championship trophy of almost every major professional sport while at work, including the Vince Lombardi Trophy (NFL), Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy (NBA), Commisioner's Trophy (MLB), Stanley Cup (NHL), and Davis Cup (ITF)

2) I am certified to handle hazardous waste spills and radiological
isotopes.

3) I have served food to all 5 living US Presidents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now the interrogation begins *cracks nuckles*.

1) Why 'Nyriv', and is there a preferred pronunciation?

2) If you could play any boardgame right now, what would it be?

3) Was it worth waiting three years just to play in a game with me? Go on, you can be honest....laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I didn't realize that Nyriv hasn't been WOTW yet?! This was a great pick!

The 2 truths and a lie are tough. I am going to go with #1.

What is your favorite online ww game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations!

What are your most/least favorite roles in online WW?

Do you have a preference for online or face-to-face play?

What do you do in your free non-gaming time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lukie wrote:
And now the interrogation begins *cracks nuckles*.

1) Why 'Nyriv', and is there a preferred pronunciation?

Funny, the only place I ever explained it was in my Cassy profile. Grab my last name, reverse the syllables, swap it to phoenetic and slip in a few Roman Numerals.

Fournier -> nier Four -> nyrIV -> nyriv Tada!

Quote:

2) If you could play any boardgame right now, what would it be?

Diplomacy. I need a nice, light game for the summer.

Quote:

3) Was it worth waiting three years just to play in a game with me? Go on, you can be honest....laugh

I died the day after, pining. It was the best 10 days I've ever spent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
kristiefix wrote:
Wow, I didn't realize that Nyriv hasn't been WOTW yet?! This was a great pick!

The 2 truths and a lie are tough. I am going to go with #1.

What is your favorite online ww game?

Thanks!

I'd probably have to say the Magicians Conference

The one game I wasn't set in a Good/Evil Role and stil made it to the end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Congratulations!

What are your most/least favorite roles in online WW?

I'm a terrible seer/sorcerer, so I tend to like non-viewing auxes so my FUD actually has a purpose. It's also why I like neutral roles... as I'm generally not the most helpful or agreeable villager out there blush

Quote:

Do you have a preference for online or face-to-face play?

I can't sit at a computer all day at work, so I generally gain more from ftf play. That, and I truly enjoy the moderating. Debates are so much more interesting when you have that knowledge.

Quote:

What do you do in your free non-gaming time?

Work, Work, and more Work? I do a good bit of hiking, reading, and try to travel when I can. Watch a Bruins game or two when I can since I'm 10 minutes from the Garden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm SelenA. Please don't kill me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Nyriv!

Quote:
I found werewolf as a convenient and quick way to rid myself of players I didn't like without ruining an entire campaign.

laugh Awesome.

Hmmm. I am going to guess number three is the lie but that was a difficult choice.

First, are you a cylon?

What is your favorite color?

When are we going to play more games together?

Who is your favorite Disney Princess?

What word would you use to describe werewolf?

Analysis or "tone" reads?

What WW game was your favorite and why?

What did/didn't you drink last night?

Enjoy your week buddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot believe that you have been so cunning so long to fly under the wolf of the week radar, nyriv.

Is it ok if I continue to mis-pronounce your name?

Favourite food?
Favourite drink (both alcoholic and non-)?

Nobody has said 2 is the lie, so I won't either. It must be 1. 3 is probably too easy for a wolf like you.

Favourite BSW game? Why?

Set up the game you wish you could run or play in.
Pick the players, the roles, and assign them perfectly.
Tell me why this would be the best game of werewolf ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
_SelenA_ wrote:

First, are you a cylon?

No. Yes? I'm still of the opinion there are 12 Billion models
Quote:

Purple.
Quote:

When are we going to play more games together?

Soonest. The door is always open! (robbers, ignore that comment)
Quote:

Who is your favorite Disney Princess?

Mulan. I like a gal with real fire.
Quote:

What word would you use to describe werewolf?

I'm guessing "werewolf" isn't a legit answer. Insidious
Quote:

Analysis or "tone" reads?

Analysis. My votes are more random until I spot folks missing rules they should know. Tone Reads are what get me killed.
Quote:

What WW game was your favorite and why?

Obviously the one I ran here with you and Karmic whistle
Quote:

What did/didn't you drink last night?

Fanta Zero... I've got about 20 different flavors of soda half opened that I'm trying to work through. Otherwise, it'd be back to a nice wine or Cap'n and Diet Coke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
bluebehir wrote:
I cannot believe that you have been so cunning so long to fly under the wolf of the week radar, nyriv.

Speaking of being in hiding...ninja

Quote:
Is it ok if I continue to mis-pronounce your name?

Sure. And since I didn't originally answer it, it's pronounced "Near-uv", not "Nigh-Riv" or "Tada"
Quote:
Favourite food?
Favourite drink (both alcoholic and non-)?

You can't ask a chef that. We must maintain professional objectivity and be concerned with how it's prepared, and not what it is. I've had the best food miserably prepared, and the most simple things exquisitely done.
For drinks, I'd say Diet Coke and rum (preferably Traveler's from Belize) is my standard, and I love hot tea or water. More importantly, I cannot stand coffee -- why do people subject themselves to it?
Quote:
Favourite BSW game? Why?

Catching the Behir in his three seconds in town?
Stone Age. Best mix of luck and strategy, good implementation, and few people say no when it's suggested.
Quote:
Set up the game you wish you could run or play in.
Pick the players, the roles, and assign them perfectly.
Tell me why this would be the best game of werewolf ever.

Something massive, with three teams of identical powers and a lot of seers. A mod's nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Mendenhall
United States
Mt Pleasant,
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyriv wrote:
Thanks!

I'd probably have to say the Magicians Conference

The one game I wasn't set in a Good/Evil Role and stil made it to the end

Not gonna lie... that game was AWESOME! It is also one of my favorite. In fact, when I first saw this thread, I was going to come say, "Remember that time when you were a demon and I ripped out your throat with my awesome vampire fangs?"

Seriously though, congratulations! You deserve it mate!

(number 4 3 is the lie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude! Props!

Are we going to drink to celebrate this occasion or what?

Also, robot are you a cylon? robot

But seriously...I may have some real questions for you soon.

For now all you get is thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Karmic_devil wrote:

Are we going to drink to celebrate this occasion or what?

Also, robot are you a cylon? robot

Yes and Yes (however, these answers were randomized and may not answer the questions in the order asked)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So this WotW thing doesn't come with Mod Screw-up insurance and immunity to lynch? What a waste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
nyriv wrote:
So this WotW thing doesn't come with Mod Screw-up insurance and immunity to lynch? What a waste

you mean you didn't get the secret decoder ring and scroll of power? uhoh, you must be an imposter...

somebody call the federales!

congrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
Congrats nyriv!

How tall are you?

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Have you ever traveled outside the US? Where? Where was your favorite? Where was your least favorite? Why?

Do you have any pets?

If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be? (Pretend it could be domesticated if you want to choose a wild animal.)

Are you going to post a picture in the WW Picture thread?

Do you play video games?

Least favorite board game? Why?

What's your favorite emoticon?

What's your favorite month?

What languages do you speak?

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

If/when technology gets to that point, would you rather live in an underwater city, a city in the clouds, a colony in outer space, or stay on terra firma?

What is your dream job?

What's keeping you from it?

What is your blood type?

How did you go from biochemistry and economics to becoming a chef?

Exactly how democratic is the Ostensibly Democratic Republic of Nyrivania?

What did your mom do when she worked for Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers?

Did she enjoy gaming?

Are you a wolf?

Enjoy your week!

And 3 is the lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
TheSparky wrote:
Congrats nyriv!

How tall are you?

6'0"
Quote:

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

The ability to drop the perfect one liner in anywhere to completely freeze everyone else? Freezing time's no fun if it ain't got shtick.
Quote:

Have you ever traveled outside the US? Where? Where was your favorite? Where was your least favorite? Why?

Canada (Montreal), to visit the relatives, the Bahamas, Finland, Amsterdam. My favorite was easily Finland.. a summer that hits 75 tops, with thousands of lakes, saunas, and beautiful landscapes and sun 22 hours a day is hard to beat. Obviously, I didn't visit in the winter. Worst was the Bahamas... too touristy, dirty, and hot.
Quote:

Do you have any pets?

Not now.. my luck's bad with animals. House sat a cat for 10 days in the spring.. cat never left the house and managed to get a huge abcess on her face that exploded thirty seconds into the vet visit. But I've had everything at some point.
Quote:

If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be? (Pretend it could be domesticated if you want to choose a wild animal.)

I'd have to go with an octopus. Think of all the clever tricks a pet octopus could pull off. Plus, it'd mean I'd have a big tank.
Quote:

Are you going to post a picture in the WW Picture thread?

Already there. And I think even the one of me in a kilt is there. General advice: do not don full authentic 30# woolen kilts in Florida in the summer. (Hint, look back at page 9,and understand about 50% of my posts start a page)
Quote:

Do you play video games?

Yes. My XBox gamertag is in my profile. Feel free to friend me, though I'm generally not on unless I see friends are on already.
Quote:

Least favorite board game? Why?

Eragon. It's essentially a betting game for kids with a d20. Sure, I rate Black Death lower, but at least it teaches math and not gambling.
Quote:

What's your favorite emoticon?

The one that shakes its head while looking down. I wish I could draw a picture of it for you so you could see it. It's soo awesome!
Quote:

What's your favorite month?

November. The end of leaf season, the first (and last desired) snow, Thanksgiving, hockey, BGG.con, and the birthday of almost everyone in my family. Subtract nine months, and you see February is the most boring month for my relatives whistle
Quote:

What languages do you speak?

English, and a fair smattering of German and Spanish. My Finnish has really lapsed to being "Add a few dozen vowels and 'n's to any word you want to say". I do remember I am a Fournierinninen or similar
Quote:

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

A nice New Hampshire wooded valley, untouched but five minutes from a highway to Boston.

Quote:

If/when technology gets to that point, would you rather live in an underwater city, a city in the clouds, a colony in outer space, or stay on terra firma?

Um, where could my pet octopus and I go out for a walk? When I was young, my answer to what do you want to be when you grew up was "A marine biologist!"

Quote:

What is your dream job?

Running a Bed and Breakfast (at the bottom of the sea with pet octopi?)

Quote:

What's keeping you from it?

It's definitely a two-man job. Let me find the man for the job first. Granted, considering I work cooking for 12 guys in a small mansion every other day, and host retreats in a big mansion on the coast a feww times a year, one might argue I'm pretty close to it

Quote:

What is your blood type?

Don't know. Can't give it away, and don't intend on needing more, so why bother?

Quote:

How did you go from biochemistry and economics to becoming a chef?

Take biology lab. Increase scale by four orders of magnitude. combine with economics and actually try to relate it to the real world. Add in customers... You have a professional kitchen. Seriously, I found myself enjoying working in a restaurant while in college more fun than slaving away in a lab for credit. I wasted 2 months on a bad experiment because my prof. screwed up the data early. In a kitchen, you get feedback and know how you did everyday.

Quote:

Exactly how democratic is the Ostensibly Democratic Republic of Nyrivania?

We will get back to you after I vote on how to answer this question.

Quote:

What did your mom do when she worked for Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers?

Just MB... Game assembly (put the bits in the box). She also worked for Spaulding (where she strung raquets). In her defense she's now a VP of Sales at a pharmaceutical company worth $50Bn. You go, mum!
Quote:

Did she enjoy gaming?

The family's mostly into cards (cribbage, rummy, etc)

Quote:

Are you a wolf?

I'm a Mod. And a Robot. Not wolf.

Enjoy your week!
[/q]

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
First, CONGRATS!

Second, I'm going to guess #1 is a lie because you'll see more of the College Trophies and Major Leagues. For some reason, I think I remember you telling me about #3.

Questions:

1.) When you play 1960, which candidate do you actually prefer? Which Candidate do you play better? Do you feel either has a clear advantage?

2.) How long do you think a fine dining experience should last? (It seems like Aqua really needed 3 hours to enjoy it because the food wouldn't stop.)

3.) Do you often find yourself finishing a bottle of wine when you're out and about?

4.) How much do you actually sleep?

5.) You walk into a kitchen and find the only ingredients are pork belly, broccoli di Rabe, a cantaloupe, and a can labelled "citric acid." A note says, "You can call an order in of $100 at Wholefoods, and you have to feed 50 people." It seems the appliances and cookware items are up to date. What do you do?

6.) Name the 10 games you're always up for playing.

7.) Name the 10 games you'd rather watch straight porn instead of playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Programmer Nyriv = Wolf of the Week
Programmer Nyriv = evil
Wolf of the Week = Late
KaldarOS has been programmed to congratulate Programmer Nyriv.
KaldarOS has not been programmed to query Programmer Nyriv due to the annoyance it would cause for all involved to read and/or write said queries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Kaldar wrote:
Programmer Nyriv = evil
Wolf of the Week = Late
KaldarOS has not been programmed to query Programmer Nyriv due to the annoyance it would cause for all involved to read and/or write said queries.

Is it possible to [Modkill kaldar] in this forum? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nyriv wrote:
Kaldar wrote:
Programmer Nyriv = evil
Wolf of the Week = Late

Is it possible to [Modkill kaldar] in this forum? shake

If I answer that, that means I am the mod, which means you can't mod kill me anyway, but I can kill you.

I mean uhm

Congratulations! Long Overdue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
arkibet wrote:
First, CONGRATS!
Questions:

1.) When you play 1960, which candidate do you actually prefer? Which Candidate do you play better? Do you feel either has a clear advantage?

Harry Flood Byrd without a doubt. He swept the unpledged electors without even being a candidate. I've probably got 2/3s of my plays in with Nixon, and have a better grasp of how he plays, but I think it's a very balanced game and with good players it gets down almost to a bluffing game based on your card draw.

Quote:

2.) How long do you think a fine dining experience should last? (It seems like Aqua really needed 3 hours to enjoy it because the food wouldn't stop.)

Fine dining is truly about the food, and that should be the guideline. 45 minutes per main course, 30 for minor courses, tack on a 20 minute postprandial. So for a good 4-5 course meal, properly timed and prepared, I'd easily settle on 3 hours plus. This is why you bring good company, go for the bottle instead of a glass of wine, and get comfy chairs.

Personally, I aim for the next lower level of eventage, where it is entirely about the people you share the evening with. A quick app, a decent meal, and desserts shouldn't be more than 1:30 with three hours of just sitting around in a lively debate afterwards.

Quote:

3.) Do you often find yourself finishing a bottle of wine when you're out and about?

I'll usually order a glass of wine, and have it last all evening. It'll take me a few days to go through a bottle at home (or toss it once it becomes vinegar)

Quote:

4.) How much do you actually sleep?

I average 4 hours a night on worknights, and usually recover with a 12 hour nap when I'm off. So, roughly 40 hours a week compared to the recommended 56.

Quote:

5.) You walk into a kitchen and find the only ingredients are pork belly, broccoli di Rabe, a cantaloupe, and a can labelled "citric acid." A note says, "You can call an order in of $100 at Wholefoods, and you have to feed 50 people." It seems the appliances and cookware items are up to date. What do you do?

What, no time limit? And ONE canteloupe for 50? Order up some hoisin, sugar, rice noodles, and assorted Asian vegetables, sesame oil, and seltzer. Braise the porkbelly in a rich hoisin sauce (essentially making some awesome boneless BBQ pork with flavor and texture), trim the rabe and blanch them, then toss with some scallions and the thinly shaved braised belly atop the rice noodles. Serve with a nice side of Asian slaw (bok choy, napa, carrots, etc) in a sesame-ginger dressing and with a canteloupe and lemongrass infused seltzer drink or tea. Save the citric acid with a touch of sugar in the water to help keep the freshly picked wildflowers on the table perky and fresh for the evening.

Fifty people, hmm? I'll pocket the remaining twenty.

Quote:

6.) Name the 10 games you're always up for playing.

Werewolf (put down the pitchforks folks), To Court the King, Die Macher, Ra, Tigris, Poker, Stone Age, 1960, Aton, Junta.

Quote:

7.) Name the 10 games you'd rather watch straight porn instead of playing.

Are there 10 editions of Busen Memo? And for the record, there is some good straight porn out there. Among my most hated would be Settlers (those dice are posessed!), Munchkin, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Risk, War, anything long and involved where they players aren't focused (AH and Android easily fall into this.. they're either awesmome, or mind numbingly dreadful)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyriv wrote:
_SelenA_ wrote:

Purple.

laugh cool kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
well, everyone's been asking boring questions. I might have to make up some my own while waiting for a response (and check) from the next WotW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.