Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been a games player, but have had problems dragging a reluctant family to the table to play games. However, they have enthusiastically endorsed Carcassonne. So the big question is, what game do I get next that I can expect / hope they might also accept?

I think that basic simplicity of gameplay is likely to be a requirement. I tried them with Bridge Troll, and whilst they did play it, there were grumblings about how complicated it was. I suspect that games like Agricola would make their eyes glaze over ...

So what do you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Next, I'd say Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan. Both are lots of fun and a little bit more complex than Carc.

Well, TTR is really no more complex than Carc, but it is fun and different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World has a really easy learning curve, as long as no-one balks at the fantasy theme. In fact, much of the DoW range falls into the same category: I have had more luck introducing Cleopatra and the Society of Architects and Shadows Over Camelot to the family than I have to real gamers (whatever they may be). Queen's Necklace tends to go down well with kids.

The last thing I got four non-gamers really excited about was Fzzzt!. And at the price, you can't really complain if they don't get into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I do not have a single Carcasonne, but from what you said: have you thought of trying San Juan (cg) ?. I have become addicted to this superb "mini" Puerto Rico type of game.

At first, I got mixed-up with a few rules (but that is me) and with the wonderful help of Geekers, I sailed through.

Also, the game is so transportable (not a big issue with me) but very handy for so many other players.

Kind regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Just realized: I do have Carcasonne: the Discovery (still sealed) blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is my go to game for non-gamers. Works everytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Next, I'd say Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan. Both are lots of fun and a little bit more complex than Carc.

Well, TTR is really no more complex than Carc, but it is fun and different.

Those are probably the big three gateway games. Since they like Carc, have you tried any of the expansions to spice it up? Alternatively, Alhambra is a nice little step up and retains a little of the same tile placement mechanisms while introducing some new rules, which might make it seem a little familiar and less intimidating to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider these, favorites of our family group:

Around the World in 80 Days

Zooloretto

Alhambra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask 100 geeks this quesiton, get "Catan", "Ticket to Ride" and 98 other answers. Go to item #3 of this Geeklist to see some popular "Gateway Games".
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/33490

The poll is a little old, so it does not mention Pandemic, but it is my gateway game of choice. Non-gamers really enjoy the co-op aspect. Just make no one gets bossy and everyone should have a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm in a similar situation (playing with non-gamers that don't really want to learn rules), I'll come at this from a different angle... recommendations that have a nice segue, a nice "pitch" if you will, given what they're already enjoying...

1) Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers - some people do like this one BETTER than the original Carcassonne (though personally I prefer the original with a few well-chosen expansions).

2) Mesopotamia - another game by the creator of Carcassonne that they know and love (Klaus-Jürgen Wrede) http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/398

3) Carcassonne: The City - Carc with a twist - city walls.

After that, if they're REALLY in love with tile-laying games, hit them with Tigris & Euphrates devil (just kidding - though it's my current favorite)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milvus
Ireland
Wicklow Town
Co. Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Pirate's Cove? I've played it with my family and it went down well. Beautiful looking like all DOW of games, some nice mechanics and great theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they like tile-laying games, try gradually ramping up the difficulty with these picks:

Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown
Taluva
Tikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Ticket to Ride, Zooloretto and Alhambra, but rather than Mesopotamia I would suggest The Downfall of Pompeii as being the next best by the same designer and much more non-gamer friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I'm with Chris on The Downfall of Pompeii. You can pitch it as being by the same guy that made Carcassonne. It has a really cool board with a 3-dimensional volcano and is kind of 2 games in one. The first is a card driven game trying to get your people in the most opportune places on the board, the second half of the game is tile laying/getting your people the heck out of Pompeii.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being difficult, but I think a place to start is what did they like about Carc? What didn't they like? What would they like more or less of? Why didn't Bridge Troll work for them?

Carc is what got my SO into gaming. But Tantrix, which I thought would be a natural (laying tiles to extend patterns) gives her headaches. OTOH, she loves Fjords, a vicious little game that looks like Carc but plays like small-board Go. In hindsight, I shouldn't have been surprised, because she hates abstracts. I was looking through my eyes (game mechanics) rather than hers (it's all about the theme).

If you haven't already, take them to a FLGS, let them see what the possibilities are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason
United States
queens
New York
flag msg tools
I would have to go with Ticket to Ride. The rules are easy to learn on all of 2 pages. Its not a step up in any way but another step into the 3ft side of the pool towards the deep end. This is from experience as I bombed out with the family my first time. I just brought out TTR last night for the first time and it was a HIT. I gotta give it a 10/10

After each session you see how they feel about the game. Ask questions.

Did you think the game was too easy? (I didnt ask if it was too hard as it sounds like your doubting their intelligence)
What did you like/dislike about the game?
Did the theme make it more enjoyable for them?
Do they care for theme in a game at all?
Did they like the confrontational aspect of the game?
Would they like a game with more or less confrontation?

Thats what I did last night and it really helped me to gauge what the next game should be. I also found that people that liked Carcassonne also found Hive to be fun. But abstract games are always a shot in the dark. To me at least.

For me, I think im going for Pandemic next. I think I will even try out Cutthroat Caverns with my family as they liked the confrontational aspect of TTR( blocking each others routes)

Good Luck with the family gaming

" a gamer who gamed a good game is a gamer gratified"

Your fellow BGG,

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What next after Carcassonne?
As someone already suggested, "ask 100 geeks...". I second, or third, or 100th Ticket to Ride as a great next choice. I also like Alhambra for a next choice. From there, any of Catan, Through the Desert, Samurai, or Bohnanza are great choices. Along with Carcassonne, those have been the start of my own collection, and my path in leading my own family astray...er, to the dark side...uhm, towards a love of modern board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with Small world, is that they have all been to Disney theme parks several times. So they will all start singing "It's a small world after all".

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may well go for ticket to ride. They have been playing Railway Rivals for years, with no problems, so railway themes are OK.

Keep the suggestions coming ...

One thing I like about modern boardgames is that many of the publishers have the rules posted on their websites. So I had already read the rules of Carcassonne before I bought it, and felt confident that it would go down OK - I just wasn't expecting it to be such a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is Galaxy Trucker. I have teenage boys and the oldest's favorite game before we owned Galaxy Trucker was Carcassonne. Galaxy Trucker has the tile laying mechanic, but it also brings "action" to the game table.

By the way, my spouse also enjoys playing. She is not into sci-fi, but after getting her passed the theme (which happened after she won Galaxy Trucker the second time she played it) she found she really enjoys the game too. It is a real winner in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Mecci
Italy
Capena
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
LUDOFORO
mbmbmbmbmb
Transamerica (max 6 player) I have your same problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.