Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, because I've got too much free time on my hands and as a bit of a creative writing exercise, I've started writing up a bit of a narrative account of my RtL sessions. Doing so quickly led to some obvious questions....

For example, the Farrows: who are these people? They're obviously a fairly twisted family. Is there any backstory (other than the tiny snippets accompanying the release of the figurines) as to how they ended up in the service of evil?

What about the rest of the storyscape--has FFG written up anything like a history of the land, its Gods and people? (There's the brief write-up of the settlements dotting the landscape, but I was wondering if there was anything more.)

Help appreciated!

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Butler
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a few background stories written to support Runebound, but since FFG redesigned their website, I'm not sure they're still around. I'll check to see if I have them saved anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a story-telling perspective, I've never understood the concept of the Overlord, and then introducing RtL, what's the difference between the Overlord and his Avatar?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Overlord is an all knowing being who can issue orders telepathically to his minions in Dungeons. He also can manipulate pits and crushing blocks as well as cast spells to turn the hapless Heroes into a Monkey.

The Avatar is the Overlord's physical form. This is evil embodied in the flesh, full of awesome and deadly power.

Now, quit questioning the Overlord's magnificence, lest you desire to be a Monkey with your normal Hit Points and no armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so the Avatar *is* the Overlord? I always thought he was just the OL's right-hand man and even defeating him doesn't really defeat the OL...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In vanilla descent, Overlord doesn't exist.
It's the name given to the player playing with the cool deck of cards with an unlimited army of soon-to-be-one-shooted creatures.
In term of play, the Overlord player represent ... let's say ... "Bad luck".
Like in :
Quote:
- Oh no, I triggered a trap !
- Oh no, the chest ! I'm going to ... eeekk, eeekk, EEEEEEEEEKK !
- Watch out ! Monsters are attacking us from behind !
- Oh, the cute little Manticore ... here kitty kit... MY EYES, OH NO, MY EYES !!!
- Dammit, it dodged my attack !

In RtL, Overlord (like the Heroes) get his own 'living' character (of course heroes only face it at end of campaign.)
Overlord was bidding its time for a fairly long time, shapping the dangerous zone of terrinoth to its image. (So, under the beast lord, dungeon became more crowded, under the spider queen, more traps are set, under the sorcerer lord, skeletons are given a special training allowing the to shoot through stone and other monsters (it's magic !) ...)
Overlord use little black pixies to give order to its lieutnant, and constantly watch the heroes with a ... let's say a little crystal ball.
So the overlord became a physical ennemy and the bad luck is changed to this :

Quote:
- Oh no, the Overlord triggered a trap !
- Oh no, the chest ! Damn you overlo ... eeekk, eeekk, EEEEEEEEEKK !
- Watch out ! The Overlord summoned Moonsters behing us !
- Oh, the cute little Manticore ... here kitty kit... MY EYES, OH NO, MY EYES !!!
- Dammit, the overlord gave it an uncanny agility !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
In vanilla descent, Overlord doesn't exist.
It's the name given to the player playing with the cool deck of cards with an unlimited army of soon-to-be-one-shooted creatures.
In term of play, the Overlord player represent ... let's say ... "Bad luck".

What?
Of course he/she exists. The adventurers just never meet him/her. The Overlord just doesn't have a physical form. The Avatar is the Overlord physical form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.