Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on how this is with 2p? I would likely play this exclusively with my wife.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it with 2, but I've played it with 3 and with 4, and I think 3 is the sweet spot, but it would be better with 2 than with 4. I think 2 would be perfectly fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Since people say it is best with 3/4 i don't think it would be that bad with 2. You might not get to cycle up to night encounter cards but that could be fixed with house ruling. I would think that it would be fine otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFink wrote:
Since people say it is best with 3/4 i don't think it would be that bad with 2. You might not get to cycle up to night encounter cards but that could be fixed with house ruling. I would think that it would be fine otherwise.

In our 3 player and our 4 player game, we never got past morning encounters. Is this typical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really good with two. You are always doing something, either taking your turn or reading for the other person, and it does play quicker. There is less interaction, but considering that there is practically zero interaction with more players it doesn't really matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Wang
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played it twice so far, both times with only 2 players. I find that both players remain pretty busy and there's always excitement to see what happens next, but it is a bit of hassle going back and forth between the matrix reference and book of tales.
I also feel like we might be missing out on some of the player to player interaction that comes with some of the status cards.
Overall, it's enjoyable and I look forward to more games with just 2 players, but I'm definitely excited about playing with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wanderlustre wrote:
I've played it twice so far, both times with only 2 players. I find that both players remain pretty busy and there's always excitement to see what happens next, but it is a bit of hassle going back and forth between the matrix reference and book of tales.
I also feel like we might be missing out on some of the player to player interaction that comes with some of the status cards.
Overall, it's enjoyable and I look forward to more games with just 2 players, but I'm definitely excited about playing with more.

I've played with more people, and believe me, the "player to player interaction" is pretty minimal, regardless of the number of players. Most of the interaction between players comes from telling the unfolding story and laughing at each other's misfortunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with 2. I think it is really great. We don't cycle the Encounter Deck much. So, we start each game at a different period of the day to rotate the Character Encounters.

It might be better with more players but I would highly recommend as a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Plopper wrote:
Any thoughts on how this is with 2p? I would likely play this exclusively with my wife.

Thanks!

Hi!

My two kids (well ages 24 and 25!) played the game together last night and had a blast. They were laughing so hard that my daughter almost lost her supper! Apparently my son ended up winning as a donkey sultan who was being chased by the hirling of a prince from whom he barely escaped.

It sure sounded like two player was fun!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have played this exclusively with my wife and we have both enjoyed it very much.

Some suggestions, make several encounter card piles. We cut the deck in half (one half being the evening deck) and cut the other half into half yet again (one each for morning and midday).

Also place two 'Magic' and 'Scholarship' skill tokens on random cities outside of Arabia (i.e. cities with a number on them). These can be substitued as other players possessing those skills for purposes of losing a status. For example, if you recieve the 'Beast Form' status, you may lose it as per the card or, instead of going to a player with magic you may go to a city with the magic token and pay one wealth level.

[Added]Other options with using skill tokens on cities:
The 'Crippled' status can also be lost by paying two wealth levels in a city with 'Scholarship'.
The 'Sex-Changed' status can also be lost by paying two wealth levels in a city with 'Magic'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Fletcher
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played the game twice with myself and a friend. Once you both get into the swing of things, handling the reaction matrix / book is fairly easy.

I have had issues where my people tend to start to get bogged down in both games by getting enslaved, ensorcelled, accursed so that my fellow game player had a) control of my movement, b) received the destiny pts from my adventures and c) he could select the worse conditions. Also, dealing with envious at the same time was no fun having to rob all the time.

I do like the option of having 2 cities offering scholarship / magic, that makes sense and also makes the players move across the board.

Another thing I noticed is that honestly we rarely got past 1/2 the encounter deck in the morning. I would recommend pairing it down, or as mentioned in the post above, separating the decks and making them morning/noon/night.

Only other I saw was that my friend kept getting 'ghostly beast' on the J table, (like 4 times in 2 games?) so he was starting to feel like the game wasn't as expansive, but then again, his luck is like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played last night and had a BLAST. We were enjoying it so much that even though she was Ensorcelled and Insane, I would get her approval on the choices I made for her character (do you think this is this the choice an Insane person would make, sweetie?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Simcox
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I have stated many times this game is better for 2-players than with any other number. Too much down time 3 or more. A 10 as a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.